Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas-port regulating gas-block insert install and DIY manufacture.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Does anyone know if these will work with Geissele gas blocks? I've got a 11.5" Colt FBI barrel with a pinned Geissele gas block and I have been throwing around the idea of using one of these on it, but I am not sure it would work considering the size of the hole in the Geissele block.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Yes it will, actually have the exact same setup(same barrel using a geissele gas block)even using a port from jerry on that setup.

And jerry, sorry i haven't gotten back with you about the inconel ports. Ill be in touch hopfully this weekend, can you pm mw your best contact method?

Anyone on the fence about these or trying to reduce gas on your rifle, dont hesitate to get some from clint at black river. They are super hepful and a wealth of knowledge when it comes to picking a size!
    Last edited by kirby25; 04-20-18 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thank you kirby25 for the info, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Out of curiosity, what insert size and buffer setup are you running on that rifle?

I was leaning towards the .067 but wonder if the .065 might be what I'd want for a rifle shot 85% of the time suppressed. (I've got a Geissele Super 42 H2 and LMT E-Carrier, so not sure how those would impact it).

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im using the vltor a5 with an a5h2 buffer and a .055 port with standard carrier. I run it 100% suppressed with a deadair sandman s with a 30cal endcap. That is def on the small side but its ran great so far and will function with the cheap stuff unsuppressed(it did the last time i had it out anyways)

I plan on taking it out again tomorrow and really running it through its paces to make sure its good to go. Will report back.

I do rember briefly trying an lmy ecarrier and it actually made it worse(really spit the brass out hard at 2 oclock, using the above buffer setup and can. Ill try it again tomorrow.

And just to add some data, i also have tye following ported running same buffer setup and can.

Colt socom 14.5, .052 port
    Larue stealth 12.5, .046 port.
    Both so far have ran great suppressed and unsuppressed

Also run a bartlein 16" middy with an aem5 can, using a5 setup with an a5h4 using a .067 port, and it will run maybe 2 rounds without the can before short strokes, but this gun was built to be 100% supressed at all times, period. Suppressed, its like shooting a 22 and has never once choked, cold or hot, dirty or clean, on any ammo ive tried, although its mostly 77gr match stuff.

Ive also ported down a noveske 8.5 " 300blk upper to tame down the suppressed suppers, while still running unsuppressed subs(although not to concerned with that, why run subs unsuppressed) put a .090 port from black river. Same a5h2 and sandman s can.
    Last edited by kirby25; 04-20-18 at 20:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok so i was wrong, way wrong. Last summer, both setups ran unsupressed just fine. Not sure if its the warm vs cold weather, but they didnt run without the can today. Ran similar ammo too(ppu m855)

Shot the 11.5 as mentioned above and will not run without the can, even with an a5h0.

Same with the colt 14.5, wont run without the can even with the a5h0

Im not to worried with it right now, as both guns have a deadair brake, and dont plan on shooting without the can, those brakes are wicked. They both run very well with the can.

This summer ill probably mess with the ports alittle to get them to run without the can(i do realize that its usually one way or the other, just seeing how close i can get to doing both) probably go with a .06 something for the 11.5, not sure on the 14.5.

Clint/blackriver have any suggestions? 30cal deadair can(low back pressure) vltor a5h2 buffers, standar carrier on the 11.5, lmt ecarrier on the 14.5
    Last edited by kirby25; 04-21-18 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Which configurations are you looking for?
    Lay it out, everything in one post.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks clint offering the help

All 5.56 guns, all running the sandman s 30cal can, with the a5h2 buffer. I can go heavier or lighter on the buffer, a5h2 just seems to be a good middle ground.

11.5" carbine gas, 30cal low back pressure can, a5h2 buffer, standard bcg, running a mix of 223/556 ammo. Usually running suppressed. I tired a .060 port todag(from you guys) i had left over and it still runs great suppressed, amd would run minus the can, but could def feel it was sluggish/right on the verge of short stroking. Didnt have a chance to try a lighter buffer, will next weekend.

12" carbine gas, all the same as above.
    Tried a .0595 in it, ran good suppressed, and about the same as the 11.5 minus the can, but didnt feel as sluggish.

14.5" carbine, 30cal low back pressure can, a5h2 buffer, running an lmt ecarrier, same ammo. Currently has a .055 port and wont run without the can. Runs great with the can. Muzzle device is pinned right now, so is what it is until i pony up for a new muzzle device.(not my go to weapon, so no biggy atm)

So far im really happy with the ports, and am thankful for clint/black river in the fact that they offer such a simple, but very affective fix to overgassed/running suppressed. Not only a great product, but those guys are super helpful and know there stuff! Every assembled ar i have, including a 300blk, has a port from black river in it!

*i don't get anything free from black river nor am i affiliated with them in anyway, just passing along my opinion

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Clint, any input on the above setups?

I wondering if i should put the .060 port in the 12", and get a .063 for the 11.5? How much port size does .5" of barrel dictate if any? Think id be better suited with a .063 in both?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The 11.5 and 12" will be similar and should run better with .060 - .063 ports.

You may want to try the 14.5 without the LMT carrier to see if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by Clint; 05-02-18 at 21:38.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I went ahead with this for my rifle with a 11.5" BCM ELW. I went with a .055 port with the intention of running it 100% suppressed.

I was hoping to have a rifle that functioned suppressed as normal, but failed to lock back on an empty round unsuppressed, to let me know that I had reduced some of the gas.

With this port, it still locks back with unsuppressed on the last round with Wolf Gold. I did have one round fired suppressed that failed to extract, and I had to mortar the rifle. I think this would indicate under gassing (at least it does on my FAL when I reduce the gas too much). I have fired 100 or so rounds since then and had no problems, hopefully I can attribute that to a bad round.

I don't think I will reduce the gas anymore to get it to my original intentions, I'd rather have slightly more gas than too little.

The instructions were extremely easy to follow. For anyone going through with it, I went through with the tap into the gas tube area about halfway, and that ended up just right to get my insert the right size with some relief between it and the barrel. I ended up just using a hand drill on a stainless cupped set screw with no pilot holes, and went through the bottom. The cup on the bottom was sized just right to keep the drill bit centered while starting to drill.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Bump for photo buck restoring my photos without paying the extortion fee! Also to build the knowledge base and insert installation

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast