Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Gas-port regulating gas-block insert install and DIY manufacture.

Feedback Score
    I always thought these were better than the gas tubes for DIY'ers.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    The last comment on this thread was 5 years ago.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Better is a relative thing.

Inserts have less material cost, but they are far more involved to make and install.

Believe it or not, most people aren't master armorers with the skills and tools to properly size, modify and install an insert.

They also generally don't want to spend 3 hours performing surgery on their rifle when 5 minutes will do.

We sell FAR more tubes than we ever did inserts.

We believe one of the major reasons is the quick and easy installation of the EZTUNE.

Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Having done both, the Tube is WAY better! The insertable saved some of my barrels from becoming paper weights, but it's advanced level installation.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I make my own inserts so it’s more cost effective.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I did one or two myself as well. I'd pay for the tube any day over doing the insert myself.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also have both, and the difference in ease of installation is in orders of magnitude. To be fair, for me the drilling and tapping of the gas block wasn't particularly difficult, I even resized my insert once or twice as I had ordered a couple sizes too small. The pain in the butt part was removing the pinned BCM FSB. Crazy tight, and no amount of hammering would get the pins to move. I ended up buying a jig that allowed me to get the pins to move before I was able to use a hammer and punch.

The gas tube, OTOH, is as a simple as installing a gas tube. Even if the gas block ports were still available, I don't know that I would ever buy them over a gas tube. Not worth the drama, even on an unpinned gas block, IMO.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think the easiest and least expensive solution would be an undrilled gas tube, perhaps with a dimple at the correct location. With the BRT tubes you are clearly paying for the experimentation that went into selecting the orifice size. If one is willing to do that himself, drilling out the hole until it is just right for a given system, there is no reason the tube should be more than $15.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you can get the hole tapped deep enough in the gas block, you don't need to do all the fancy milling of the inserts. I had 4 cans clear this week and have most of my gas blocks set up with vented set screws. The .625 blocks seat the insert deep enough that it will hold the gas tube in place and allow a little more volume for the gas to expand before going through the vent toward the bolt. The .750 gas blocks, I need to modify my tap to fit through the bottom set screw so I can thread deeper into the gastube hole. I grabbed a few sizes of drill bits for opening up the vent hole once testing starts at the range. Vice and electric drill are all I have needed to do this modification.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    If one is willing to do that himself, drilling out the hole until it is just right for a given system, there is no reason the tube should be more than $15.
    Sort of along those lines... when Pappabear, here, asks me which tube to get, I tell him error on the small side. If it's too lean, I can open it up, but you can't go the other way.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast