Thread: RIA 9mm Government

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

RIA 9mm Government

Picked up this RIA 9mm just before Christmas. I've wanted a 9mm 1911 for a while and foolishly didn't jump on earlier opportunities. With the California approved Roster always in flux, it's a bit of PITA. With Springfield RO's going for over $1000 locally and 1911's being high priced overall in California, I took a chance on a $500 pistol assuming it could be a decent platform.

Put about 300 rounds through it as I bought it (previous owner installed the ken sights) and it was hiccup free using a mixture of 9mm FMJ 115gr and 124gr.

At this point I figured I had something to work with and tore the gun down. The frame, slide, barrel and link are RIA. The rest is now mostly EGW and assorted parts.

Spent time with a stone, some files, and some sand paper to knock down high edges, offending spots, and misc. A little cold blue cleaned it up and also toned down the RIA billboard on the slide.

New parts include:
    EGW carry bushing
    EGW slide stop
    EGW flat bottom firing pin stop
    EGW extractor
    Wilson thumb safety
    Wilson firing pin
    Extreme Engineering hammer and sear
    EGW ball disconnector
    GI short trigger
    EGW plug
    GI spring guide
    Colt Commander grip safety
    EGW msh
    EGW higher mag release
    Wolff main and recoil springs
    Colt sear spring
    Wilson pin set

Another 600 rounds later, I've have two issues. A box of VERY wimpy federal white box was so underpowered the cases were almost rolling out of the slide. One FTE there. A box of Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP from a department rejected lot I picked up lot years ago was a bit long and dragged on the feed ramp. Has always worked reliably in my 225 and HiPowers. The EGW higher mag release cured the problem by moving the mag up a little higher.

Overall, parts fitting was very easy. Pins aligned. Replacement parts only needs work in areas expected to need it. The most noticeable issue is that the RIA frame grip front to rear is ground a little short which exposes a bit of the MSH. The bevel/grind is also for a beaver tail grip safety which also exposes a bit of the GI grip safety I put on. The grind caused me to knock enough off the thumb safety when I blended it that a bit of the hole is exposed when the safety is engaged, but that's a fairly common issue.

Just under 1000 rounds total at this point and I've had 1 FTE that was clearly ammo related and one box of ammo causing some loading issues. Pretty satisfied with the end result.

Topped it off with some nice "ivory" micarta grips.

- Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Looks good. Where did you get the grips?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    patiently trolling ebay.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You definitely have a nice pistol. I see that your parts list did not include a replacement ejector but am not suggesting that you need a different one. Is the EGW bushing a custom one milled to your provided barrel and slide dimensions? Please comment on accuracy with the new bushing. Not everybody can fit a new extractor because bending is required to get necessary tension. The flat bottom firing pin stop requires filing a very slight bevel if the part lacks it. Did EGW do this for you?

Your ability to install and fit the new parts saved you a lot of money. I own a recently made 9mm Colt Government Model, which I paid too much money for. I've owned many others in 9mm. My experience is that STI magazines for the 1911 9mm are the very best. I'm certain that "somebody" else makes them, but STI adds their own tweak to the design.

From reading your post I understand that I may not be qualified to give you advice but will point out that the flat bottom firing pin stop slows down slide velocity. This fact may be the reason that the under powered white box ammo was sluggishly ejected. It will allow you to use a lighter hammer spring and therefore obtain a lighter weight trigger pull without worrying about increasing slamming effect of slide on frame.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The ejector stayed. I'll tackle that issue if it ever comes up.

The .699 / .580 angle bushing was snug in the slide and just a bit too tight on the barrel. Very light sanding inside the bushing was all that I needed for fit. The accuracy is beyond my abilities (which is saying very little actually).

The EGW stop has a slight bevel. I put some marker on the hammer and it contacts it evenly during recoil so I have not adjusted the bevel.

The EGW extractor needed a little extra tension. If I get the pistol refinished, I'll knock off the slight overhang at the rear of the slide.

Running 23lb mainspring and 13lb recoil spring.

The white box was wimpy period. Compared to the Fiocchi, Browning, and S&B I was shooting, it was down right lethargic. I have never shot 9mm that soft before.

Right now, all the mags I have are Metalform and I've been very happy. Inexpensive as well.
    - Jeff

Feedback Score
    Very nice...nothing wrong with Rock Islands. I had one for a while, and only got rid of it, literally a few days ago, because I had the urge for something else, and have a couple other 1911's. I'll probably pick another one up one of these days, as the one I had ran like a top. Seeing yours makes me miss mine already.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think that Metalform makes STI 1911 9mm mags as well as those for Colt.

I'm old as dirt and have owned several hundred handguns during my lifetime(married late and no kids). The 1911 Government Model in 9mm is the softest shooting pistol that I've ever fired. They are a joy to own. Despite what some may say, my opinion is that they can be made to be extremely reliable without great effort. Essentially, you built your pistol. If you later sell or trade it, you will regret doing so.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    They are good pistols for the money. Knowing how to do minor upgrades will save you lots of $. Out there I imagine pickings are pretty slim.