Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a good 10.5 barrel these days?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    The reality of this arrangement is the Specwar 556k generates significant backpressure, despite the small volume. It makes it difficult to find the right spot for suppressed/unsuppressed use with only a buffer swap, unless you don't mind gas in your face. If you use a 30 caliber suppressor it's much easier to get what you want.
    I've got a specwar 556 full size getting ready to make an NFA jail break any day now.

I'll be transitioning from a Saker 762 with 556 end cap. I know I'll be getting more gas, but how much more? Enough to need to adjust the gas block?

11.5 Sionics RGP, LMT e-carrier, A5H4, Tubbs AR10 flat wire, SLR sentry 6 AGB.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I have an Omega. I should experiment and see if it works any better.

I shoot it almost entirely suppressed. I was hoping for flexibility. I may go down in port size and just have it be dedicated suppressed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I've got a specwar 556 full size getting ready to make an NFA jail break any day now.

I'll be transitioning from a Saker 762 with 556 end cap. I know I'll be getting more gas, but how much more? Enough to need to adjust the gas block?

11.5 Sionics RGP, LMT e-carrier, A5H4, Tubbs AR10 flat wire, SLR sentry 6 AGB.
    I use the 762 end cap on my Saker. I don't know how much of an effect the 556 end cap has on the back pressure. I can drop at least one buffer weight (H3 to H2, etc) or close my SLR gas block by 1-2 clicks (depending on the barrel length) when I swap from 556K to Saker 762.

I literally gave up on trying to use the 556K on my 10.5" LMT MRP. Even with a Gemtech carrier and A5H4 it ejects forward and recoils like a 12 gauge shotgun. If I throw my Saker 762 on that upper, it is super soft shooting with an A5H2, and won't lock back on empty with an A5H3 once it gets dirty.

On my longer barrels it isn't as noticeable, and the shorter length and weight is certainly appreciated.

In the end I wish I had purchased an Omega, since it weighs just a hair more than the 556K. The Omega is longer, but at least you can change the mount out to the Dead Air Key-mo.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    Specs and port size?
    It's an 11.5" with a .0630" port. I've been porting down a bunch of our SBR barrels lately. Pappabear has an exceptionally thumpy 10.5 that got us going insertable port crazy. My 10.5 ported down to .0715" runs beautifully with .223 pressure ammo and no can.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I've probably said it a hundred times or so, but with the lack of quality 10.5"/10.3" barrels on the market, the stupid price on the ones you can find and the fact that a good 11.5" will keep running, it makes very little sense to even bother with them.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got a 10.5" barrel with a .082" gas port. An SLR adjustable gas port allows the AR to run smoothly suppressed or unsuppressed using an H buffer. I plan to also test the setup with an H2 buffer.

Unsuppressed, it can be tuned to eject every time but not lock back on the last round. Opening the gas block one click let's the rifle lock back on the last shot.

Suppressed, I could not get the rifle to eject, but not lock back. I could tune it to lock back, but closing it one more click and the AR would not eject
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Forgive my ignorance, but would a Colt SOCOM barrel be a good starting point, then having it cut down to the desired 10.3"/10.5" length, and the gas port opened accordingly?
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but would a Colt SOCOM barrel be a good starting point, then having it cut down to the desired 10.3"/10.5" length, and the gas port opened accordingly?
    That would work, but if you are shooting it with a suppressor than the .063 GP would be too big.

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    That would work, but if you are shooting it with a suppressor than the .063 GP would be too big.

C4

I know you (Grant) have a lot of experience in this area, but I'd like to offer some info to counter that statement as being always correct. Depending on the ammo, muzzle device, and possibly silencer .0630 might be good for a 10.3/5" barrel, particularly if it needs to be reliable both suppressed and non-suppressed. It would be nice to be able to start smaller, but I'm not aware of any barrels with a carbine-length system that have a gas port smaller than .063+/- . For suppressed only, them I would want to start smaller, or be prepared to restrict the gas by some means. That has been my experience. For 11.5", .0630 is generally the largest I have had to go to get reliable function both with and without a can.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    I know you (Grant) have a lot of experience in this area, but I'd like to offer some info to counter that statement as being always correct. Depending on the ammo, muzzle device, and possibly silencer .0630 might be good for a 10.3/5" barrel, particularly if it needs to be reliable both suppressed and non-suppressed. It would be nice to be able to start smaller, but I'm not aware of any barrels with a carbine-length system that have a gas port smaller than .063+/- . For suppressed only, them I would want to start smaller, or be prepared to restrict the gas by some means. That has been my experience. For 11.5", .0630 is generally the largest I have had to go to get reliable function both with and without a can.
    Depends on how you want to shoot it. Since SBR's are so loud and obnoxious that there should be a rule that they are ALWAYS shot suppressed.

C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Depends on how you want to shoot it. Since SBR's are so loud and obnoxious that there should be a rule that they are ALWAYS shot suppressed.

C4

That's my rule...I only ever remove the can to function test. And that's like 5 shots outdoors.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast