Thread: Odd wear in a BCM upper?

Feedback Score

Odd wear in a BCM upper?

Hi folks, noticed some wear in my newish BCM upper, looking for some input here. Specs are a 12.5 inch BCM upper, BCM BCG, and running an H2 buffer. Have only about 350ish rounds through (223 55 grn ball), about 50% suppressed.(AAC 762SD for about the first hundred, other have been with my M4 2000) cleaning today and noticed a rough gouge where the cam pin rotates in the upper...Running my finger on it is almost sharp..Cam pin has a "line" in can feel with my finger , right along where the finish has worn...Whats gives here? I took a look at my Colt 6920 which I have thousands of rounds through, wear in the same spot but not nearly as "rough" feeling as the SBR upper. (The Colt has been run unsuppressed) Thoughts?
    P1010013.JPGP1010015.JPG

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is completely normal, all upper have this wear. Dont worry, just go shoot her more.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely normal, especially on shorter barrels. It will wear out a given amount where the cam pin travels then stop. All piston AR's also wear out that track too. Perfectly normal, don't give it a second thought.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The wear is indeed normal, though perhaps a bit premature. You will be able to reduce wear very noticeably, in my experience, by using a quality grease on all those sliding parts. I use Slip 2000 EWG grease.

As the adage goes: "If it slides, grease it. If it it rolls, oil it."

Feedback Score
    OK thanks much guys that makes me feel better. I also sent a pic to BCM, they responded but couldnt see much from the pic I sent them, so I sent another. I'm also thinking about running a Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier, not sure if it would help or not...fired brass landing around 2-3 O'clock now...Thanks again for the response

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It doesn't really stop though it just slow down.

Feedback Score
    I did get a reply from BCM, they said from the pic they thought it could be debris or a popped primer got caught up and caused the gouge...Not sure I totally buy that, a popped primer would lock the gun up if it wedged up near the cam pin? They wanted to see pics of BCG and cam pin, which I sent. I think I'm just going to make sure the cam pin area is lubed with a little grease (usually just use CLP) when running the can and keep an eye on the wear.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Normal.

Suppressed SBR's will of course show more wear faster than a unsuppressed 16" carbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    Just to update this thread, I did exchange some emails with the boys at BCM, and they said if I had concerns I could send the upper back for inspection. I did, and about a week later it was back. Looks like they smoothed out the sharp "burr" that was inside the upper, and replaced the cam pin. Only thing was there was no note or anything , but at least they seemed to take care of it...So I'm happy with that. Took it out and fired 50 rounds with my M4 2000 on there and brass was landing at 3 O'clock, ran great....So A+ for the BCM crew.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nice of them to do that. I agree with everyone else. There never was an issue to address. Every AR I've ever owned has that galling from the cam pin head.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v