Hi guys. This is my first post here, although I've been lurking around for the last few weeks after deciding to finally start my first AR build (thanks to my wife and a stipped lower Christmas present). Before deciding to post I was able to read through and research from this similar thread, among other places, but it's pretty old and I didn't want to necro, so I'm hoping for some updated info. I also hope I'm posting in the correct forums to keep all the mods happy.

To date, I've been collecting up parts, but now I'm stuck on hand guards. I've got a 16" mid length BCM upper barrel assembly with an A2 front sight that I'm not looking to remove or replace, partly because I'd hate to screw up a top notch piece of equipment with my noobiness, and thanks in no small part to this scary thread, but also because I like the look and I wanted a front sight mounted to the barrel/gas block vs. the rail. I really like the idea of drop in free float rails, but the only ones I can seem to find are the Centurion C4, Troy, MI Gen II, and Daniel Defense Omega rails. Of those I think I like the DD or MI versions best, but I was hoping to avoid a quad rail in favor of something a little more smooth and round.

In contrast to those free float versions, I also like the MI 2 piece Keymod or M-Lok drop in's, as they're more the shape and feel I'm looking for, but ofc they're not free float. So now I find myself in the same position as so many others before me, what decision should I make? Does anybody have any advice for me, or can anybody point me towards a free float solution that I've missed or not considered? Am I a dummy to care about the quad rail? There are options for rail covers after all, and plenty of people seem to like them. Sometimes it just takes a different viewpoint to make a good point or change the perspective, so any input is appreciated.