Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strike Industries "Strike Fighter" Barrel Impressions

Feedback Score

Strike Industries "Strike Fighter" Barrel Impressions

For me, it's a swing and a miss...

First time poster, long time reader. I'm in the middle of a number of builds. Can't imagine a better time to get into the AR-15 platform!

One of the builds I'm working on is a lighter weight "recce" style rifle. After pouring over the forums, articles, YouTube videos etc, I decided to give the new Strike Industries Strike Fighter 16 inch barrel a go. It's CHF 416r stainless with a nitride finish, 1:8 twist, and a 223 wylde chamber with a mid-length gas system. On paper, it sounded perfect.

After waiting a month or so for delivery, I finally received the barrel this afternoon. I was disappointed. The gas port, crown, and barrel extension were all clearly finished after the nitriding process was completed with bare steel exposed in all 3 areas (in addition to the pin for the barrel extension being bereft of finish). Not good enough -for me-, so back it's going. Some people might not mind.

I'm thinking one of the new Faxon Match series flame fluted barrels will be replacing it. Sure, I'm giving up cold hammer forging, but the 5r rifling seems to be fair compensation as a feature.

The strike fighter barrel profile is very nice and the weight (1.5lbs nearly on the dot) seems perfectly distributed for strength. In the current iteration, it just isn't right for me.

Since it's a new product with not a lot of data out there yet, I thought I'd just post one man's opinion.

Feedback Score
    I don't blame u. I would of done the same

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    #ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If it's a stainless barrel does it really matter if those parts were not nitrated?

I do understand the complaint and it's lack of attention to detail. But wonder if it would actually be a corrosion issue?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    If it's a stainless barrel does it really matter if those parts were not nitrated?

I do understand the complaint and it's lack of attention to detail. But wonder if it would actually be a corrosion issue?
    My concern was that I understand (depending on how the nitriding was done) the heat from the process may or may not mess with the temper of stainless. In any case, the bare steel will certainly corrode (especially the gas port) before the nitrided finished portions would. Will I ever notice the difference? Maybe, maybe not but I'd rather not have that thought in the back of my mind.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    I was disappointed. The gas port, crown, and barrel extension were all clearly finished after the nitriding process was completed with bare steel exposed in all 3 areas (in addition to the pin for the barrel extension being bereft of finish). Not good enough -for me-, so back it's going. Some people might not mind.
    Being that there exist complaints about barrels coming loose from the barrel extensions due to them being mated before the nitriding process, I think you're being overly critical. If the company does mate the barrel and the barrel extension, and drill the gas port, prior to nitriding, and then it comes apart after it comes to the customer, the barrel is basically toast, since the gas port will probably be off-center after you re-torque it onto the barrel extension.

If you're going to nitride an AR-15 barrel, you basically have to do it before you tighten it to the barrel extension and drill the gas port. Otherwise, you run into too many risks with regard to the barrel extension.

Feedback Score
    I realize you have already decided to send it back, but typically this forum requires you contact the MFG first, and allow them to respond.

Images would be nice. Is it actually something that will cause problems, or is it merely cosmetic? Unknown. Does it shoot well? I guess we'll never know. Being new to the platform, are your observations and assertions actually accurate? Maybe, maybe not.

It's great how much information is out there, but it's not without some negative side-effects. Many obsess over things that, even if it were a somewhat legitimate concern, they'd likely never even shoot enough or run the gun hard enough to actually encounter the potential problems.

Personally, I think we should give them a chance to respond before jumping to conclusions. It's the equitable thing to do.

ETA - I knew I saw something where Faxon responded to a similar claim about Nitriding. Basically, it's existence may not even be noticeable. Hence, your observations about its absence may not be accurate.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...98#post2482598
    Last edited by Kdubya; 08-20-17 at 12:18.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    I realize you have already decided to send it back, but typically this forum requires you contact the MFG first, and allow them to respond.

Images would be nice. Is it actually something that will cause problems, or is it merely cosmetic? Unknown. Does it shoot well? I guess we'll never know. Being new to the platform, are your observations and assertions actually accurate? Maybe, maybe not.

It's great how much information is out there, but it's not without some negative side-effects. Many obsess over things that, even if it were a somewhat legitimate concern, they'd likely never even shoot enough or run the gun hard enough to actually encounter the potential problems.

Personally, I think we should give them a chance to respond before jumping to conclusions. It's the equitable thing to do.

ETA - I knew I saw something where Faxon responded to a similar claim about Nitriding. Basically, it's existence may not even be noticeable. Hence, your observations about its absence may not be accurate.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...98#post2482598
    I'm not calling it a manufacturer defect. It's just the way they're made. 95% of people are probably fine with it. I simply like what I like (and made that very clear in my OP).

Call it OCD or, conversely (and perhaps more accurately), laziness. I want to be able to get away with as little maintenance as possible (I'm a recovering AK guy).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    Being that there exist complaints about barrels coming loose from the barrel extensions due to them being mated before the nitriding process, I think you're being overly critical. If the company does mate the barrel and the barrel extension, and drill the gas port, prior to nitriding, and then it comes apart after it comes to the customer, the barrel is basically toast, since the gas port will probably be off-center after you re-torque it onto the barrel extension.

If you're going to nitride an AR-15 barrel, you basically have to do it before you tighten it to the barrel extension and drill the gas port. Otherwise, you run into too many risks with regard to the barrel extension.
    This happened to me a few years back with a Rock Creek custom barrel. Pissed me off to no end, and the barrel extension's heat treating was ruined causing a set- back of the lug bearing surface. Of course, YMMV.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What did you anticipate this barrel doing that a stock Colt M4 barrel doesn't do?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    What did you anticipate this barrel doing that a stock Colt M4 barrel doesn't do?
    Be more accurate (wylde vs. 556 Chamber) , at least as durable, not have that stupid grenade launcher cut, and have a better twist rate. I also personally prefer a melonite/nitride finish vs. parked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast