Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy buffer tube

Feedback Score

Noisy buffer tube

I hope this does not turn into a pissing contest about how many of you hate PSA cause I’m pretty happy with my A4 clone I put together using there 20” upper and fixed stock. I put it on a older Bushy lower I had laying around and found a KAC RAS rail for cheap. From a couple feet away it looks just like the one I carried in the service which is what I was going for.

Anyways the one and only issue I have is the buffer and spring is noisy. My other AR and my buddies are all pretty smooth and quite. So should I look into just replacing the tube or the spring as well? It shoots great and does not malfunction so it’s not a real problem but it does bug me.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    If you think I should replace the tube and or spring what would you use?

Feedback Score
    The first time I fired an AR (in the service) many moons ago, I thought I had broken it. The buffer noise was that loud. I've either quit hearing it over the years or they don't do it any more.
    Semper Fi, Tres Deuce. Rest In Peace GM, MG, JK, CC. KIA May 2, 2008 - Freedom has a taste the protected will never know at a price they cannot understand.

Feedback Score
    I'd just get some lube on the spring and then shoot it. The tube is aluminum, the spring is steel. Over time the steel will polish the aluminum smooth and the noise will go away.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    2nd here for some lube on the spring and shoot the snot out of it! I thought it was odd the first time I shot with an A2 also but no worries.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Whoa.. this is an ARFcom circa 1995 thread. Real (i.e. COLT) REs are like glass on the inside surface. I too don't think about it or hear it... not sure which.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I will try the lube before anything else. It’s not like I haven’t shot a A2 or A4 before. This one just seems extra noisy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    Anyways the one and only issue I have is the buffer and spring is noisy. My other AR and my buddies are all pretty smooth and quite. So should I look into just replacing the tube or the spring as well? It shoots great and does not malfunction so it’s not a real problem but it does bug me.

Thanks.
    I think replacing the tube will not make any difference in sound.

I know some people apply grease to the spring to cut down on the sound. I do not do this because it seems very messy, and the sound has never bothered me.

You may want to try an "Enhanced" spring from Damage Industries. They are not designed to reduce sound, but that is supposed to be one of the benefits. Here is a link to it:

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store...product_id=391

I do not have any experience with his spring, but they are a reputable company, so it may be worth a try.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    I will try the lube before anything else. It’s not like I haven’t shot a A2 or A4 before. This one just seems extra noisy.
    It can be a combination of things. Some springs are just rougher too. And the way the gun is gassed can impact the bolt speed and resulting vibration of the action spring.

If you have another similarly buffered gun, you could try doing a quick swap of buffer and springs to see if that helps.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Does it shoot, is it precise and accurate?

If so, cool. Add a light film of oil to the spring and shoot that sumbitch.

I have a few different spring sets. Some Sprinco, a Colt Rilfe Length, multiple misc carbine springs, and a Tubb Carbine Flatwire.

The flat wire, by far, is the nosiest in regards to "Sproing" and that worked itself out well within the first 500 rounds.

It's like the sounding fork syndrome that the splined flash hiders give off.

Does it really cause a problem? Nah? Well, than just be happy and shoot it. For something that explodes at 100+ decibels, it always amazes me that people will bring up worry about the springs making a 15 decibel noise. I can understand if you're SpecOps and wanting a rifle as silent as can be, but even then, how quiet is "quiet"; anyone who would truly need a quiet rifle wouldn't/shouldn't be manipulating it when silence is needed.

If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. That's how things break more or stop working.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 01-08-18 at 10:40.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast