Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: BCM KMR M-LOK late 2017

Feedback Score
    Nope, no over thinking, just a solid sales background and a good understanding of business, especially as it pertains to ROI. I never once stated it was a bad idea, just that assuming more money from the same line that was already at capacity is an assumption based upon a lack of understanding.

Feedback Score
    M-Lok also reportedly takes less machine time than keymod, and it's pretty easy to see why. So it's cheaper to produce an M-Lok rail than a keymod rail. Don't know for sure, but it looks like it would be extremely easy to convert a KMR to M-Lok. (I think it was mentioned in this thread prototypes are already out there?) It's not like they would be designing a whole new rail. If the demand for M-Lok that other sources are reporting is accurate, they could theoretically cease making all keymod KMRs, convert to M-Lok only, add no new equipment, produce and sell more rails, and make more money.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    Nope, no over thinking, just a solid sales background and a good understanding of business, especially as it pertains to ROI. I never once stated it was a bad idea, just that assuming more money from the same line that was already at capacity is an assumption based upon a lack of understanding.
    Apples and oranges but, Noveske (btw; first to market with a skinny keymod rail) added M-Lok to their lineup last year. I have one and it's really nice. I still like my keymod systems but eventually, there is going to be one king of the hill in this Beta vs VHS war and it may not necessarily be the best system that wins. It's what the customer buys that's important here. Most shooters I know in my personal life prefer M-Lok purely for aesthetic reasons. I've been teased a lot showing up with my Gorilla-Rack handguards. My two cents for what it's worth.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    M-Lok also reportedly takes less machine time than keymod, and it's pretty easy to see why. So it's cheaper to produce an M-Lok rail than a keymod rail. Don't know for sure, but it looks like it would be extremely easy to convert a KMR to M-Lok. (I think it was mentioned in this thread prototypes are already out there?) It's not like they would be designing a whole new rail. If the demand for M-Lok that other sources are reporting is accurate, they could theoretically cease making all keymod KMRs, convert to M-Lok only, add no new equipment, produce and sell more rails, and make more money.
    Mlok is less $ to produce? Can you provide any data that backs that? Do you have a cost on how much it will cost to retool, re-engineer the line, obtain new engineering designs, test, etc.? Do you have any actual sales data from all sources, or simply basing it on the quote from a blog (that only mentions one source if I recall correctly?)? All we have is speculation and assumption. I would like an mlok option from bcm, but without some actual data that backs any of the above assumptions, it is hard to see how the same amount of production making more money.

Feedback Score
    How could someone possibly question that M-Lok is cheaper to produce? Just look at them. Even to a layperson it's easy to see M-Lok is a simple 90 degree cut, while each keymod slot involves both a 90 degree cut and a beveled undercut.

Feedback Score
    It may appear that way to us "laymen", but I'm not making any assumptions. After opening 3 hotels in 5 years, and dealing with construction contractors, I've found that what appears to be easier is not always the reality.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It may appear that way to us "laymen", but I'm not making any assumptions. After opening 3 hotels in 5 years, and dealing with construction contractors, I've found that what appears to be easier is not always the reality.
    Bill Geissele stopped producing KeyMod a few years ago. I recall reading or hearing him say just that on one of his videos.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on Ak stuff. But, if we are talking about trying to will BCM to put out products, a .308 AR from there has been on the top of my list for a couple years.
    I think the last time I said I wanted AK grips in one of their threads here, they said they weren't doing AK stuff. I don't remember the response to the people asking for a .308 AR, but I mean, it has to happen at some point, right? Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Not that I am anyone, and clearly I don't speak for BCM, but I wouldn't worry about seeing a 1913 modification, it will be straight up 1913 rails.
    Good to know. I wouldn't expect anything else, but still, it would be a bit of a let down. A simple, well-executed quad rail is a beautiful thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfireisnt View Post
    There is a trick with M-Lok, but once you figure it out, it's very quick and secure. Once you get the feel, it's a good setup.
    I'm sure there is, I just give up easily

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Mlok is less $ to produce? Can you provide any data that backs that? Do you have a cost on how much it will cost to retool, re-engineer the line, obtain new engineering designs, test, etc.? Do you have any actual sales data from all sources, or simply basing it on the quote from a blog (that only mentions one source if I recall correctly?)? All we have is speculation and assumption. I would like an mlok option from bcm, but without some actual data that backs any of the above assumptions, it is hard to see how the same amount of production making more money.
    Geissele himself has said MLOK has saved him about 20 minutes per rail due to its simplicity, ease of machining, etc. compared to KM. That doesn't necessarily mean cheaper to produce, but in this case, it probably does.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    Geissele himself has said MLOK has saved him about 20 minutes per rail due to its simplicity, ease of machining, etc. compared to KM. That doesn't necessarily mean cheaper to produce, but in this case, it probably does.
    I used an MI rail in this example only because both M-Loc an KeyMod are pictured on the same page. Each flat on their 15" rail has 8 slots in M-Loc vs 15 KeyMod attachment points. More holes = more time. The KeyMod slot has a bevel on the inside that adds a tool change. I agree that KeyMod takes longer but I have a problem believing 20 minutes longer. Bill must have one slow ass machine!

Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast