Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nightforce or Schmidt&Bender

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nightforce or Schmidt&Bender

I'm trying to decide between going with Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender for my .308 AR precision rifle. What is the current thinking between the two brands? Are SBs truly worth the extra coinage? I'm thinking I may go NF just because I'm old school and would prefer MOA, but don't want to make a mistake on such an expensive purchase. I will be shooting out to 700 yards, and occasionally 1000 yards.

Looking for advice on the optics, not opinions on caliber, etc.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any reason you don't have Vortex Razor HD II in this lineup? They are used by more than 4 0% of the PRS dudes (2015 data).

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...-and-reticles/
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Any reason you don't have Vortex Razor HD II in this lineup? They are used by more than 4 0% of the PRS dudes (2015 data).

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...-and-reticles/

Looking for opinions on NF v. SB at this point, thanks.
    Last edited by Austin1776; 02-17-17 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin1776 View Post
    Looking for opinions on NF v. SB at this point, thanks.
    Both are good and would say that NF probably builds a more rugged scope. With that said, neither are superior to a Vortex Razor (which are much cheaper). Food for though from someone that has owned all the optics mentioned here.

C4

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    What are you looking for? Illuminated? Zero Stop? What reticle? What mag range? Multi use rifle or just a paper puncher? Weight a factor? These things I answer first and then pick what fits best out of different brands that offer the exact answers to my questions.

For me, I like 10 mil rev turrets with .1mil adjustments and zero stop. Illuminated depending on what rifle its going on. Mag range depends on role and use. Reticle choice is one of the biggest factors for me.

So you may need to narrow it down a bit before doing a NF vs S&B comparison.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Understood, looking for opinions on NF v. SB quality, or as NF says, "rugged, reliable and repeatable." SB seems to have the upper hand when it comes to reputation, but unsure if that is well deserved or imagined. I prefer an MOA based optic (as indicated in OP), but if SB is notably better, would go with MIL and SB. Range? Out to 1000 (as indicated in OP), multi use. Weight not a significant factor.

Feedback Score
    NF is the only scope we used that never had issues. Mine on a rifle even got dropped out of a jeep and run over by a jeep following us and it held zero. I gave that scope to friend who is still using it.

Needless to say I am a fan of NF.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Understood, looking for opinions on NF v. SB quality, or as NF says, "rugged, reliable and repeatable." SB seems to have the upper hand when it comes to reputation, but unsure if that is well deserved or imagined. I prefer an MOA based optic (as indicated in OP), but if SB is notably better, would go with MIL and SB. Range? Out to 1000 (as indicated in OP), multi use. Weight not a significant factor.
    Range does not indicate use. Are you hunting with it, self defense, punching paper, etc. Each of these could really use a different optic. I also read your MOA choice in the first post as why I did not ask if you wanted MOA or mil.

NF and SB are both rugged as anything out there. But again, what reticle? Zero Stop? What mag range? Illumination? Maybe you don't want these features?

Just saying, as maybe what you want, NF does not offer... For instance, I went with a Steiner Military on a rifle because it met the criteria for that specific rifle and what I was specifically looking for. Wasn't looking for a M5Xi originally, but after I put to paper what I really wanted, it ruled out a few optics I was considering from the get go.

Just trying to help ya out.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 02-17-17 at 12:44.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Just trying to help ya out.
    And thank you...NF and SB offer the mag ranges I would want/need. And the reticles options are both ok. I've got that figured out. Simply asking about NF v. SB when it terms to rugged, reliable, etc. As I said in the OP, if there is a significant reason to go with SB for that reason, I'll pay the price. My needs for the rifle are multi-use/purpose, and I'll just leave it that.

Feedback Score
    And thank you...NF and SB offer the mag ranges I would want/need. And the reticles options are both ok. I've got that figured out. Simply asking about NF v. SB when it terms to rugged, reliable, etc. As I said in the OP, if there is a significant reason to go with SB for that reason, I'll pay the price. My needs for the rifle are multi-use/purpose, and I'll just leave it that.
    I would get in touch with Mike from CSTACTICAL. Good guy and has quite a wealth of knowledge when it comes to long range shooting.

https://www.cstactical.com/pg/5-Contact-Us.aspx

I have owned a Schmidt and Bender Short Dot for several years and it is a great scope. It's been banged around a bit and holds zero. I've toyed with the idea of buying another one for a long-range rifle, but one thing I have found is locating the exact model you want can be difficult. Finding a good dealer can help there. After, using both brands, I could definitely say the glass quality will be better with the Schmidt and Bender models. Likely why I will purchase another one.

I shoot at a large private gun club and noted that most of the long-range shooters are using Nightforce rifle optics. I asked several why and the general response was quality, zero stop, ruggedness (holds zero), and availability.

Picking an optic can be a challenging process. If there are any long-range matches in your area, then I would start there. Most guys are more than happy to talk about their rifles and gear. The last high-powered Schmidt and Bender I used belonged to one of our members at my gun club. It was one of the 3-12 X 50 PM II Police models on a Sako .338 Lapua. It was only 200 yards to the target but the view through the scope was crystal clear.

Best of luck.

P.S. You may want to check-out the optics forums of SWFA and Snipershide as well.

http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...t-rifle-scopes
    Last edited by SkiDevil; 02-19-17 at 06:20. Reason: correction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast