Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick your ideal 16" AR set up for suppressed use

Feedback Score

Question Pick your ideal 16" AR set up for suppressed use

The title says it all. In conjunction with a 5.56 Surefire SOCOM 2 suppressor, I am thinking about:

1. Buying a Knights SR-15 with a mod 2 gas system. I believe they use a carbine length buffer

2. Build my own mid-length upper (probably daniel defense) with a VLTOR A5 buffer system

3. Noveske gen 3 with a switchblock (either carbine or A5 buffer system)?

I guess the ultimate question is what's more important? The gas system or the buffer system? I intend to use this set up for serious use (courses).

thanks

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For something I didn't care much about cosmetically, would get used hard and needed to be reliable, I would get a Colt 6920 OEM. Buy the rail/furniture of choice, and run it with a Sprinco Blue with a H2.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    For something I didn't care much about cosmetically, would get used hard and needed to be reliable, I would get a Colt 6920 OEM. Buy the rail/furniture of choice, and run it with a Sprinco Blue with a H2.
    This man has given you good advice. You can find a Colt OEM on sale for under $800 with some web searches.

Feedback Score
    So what you two are really saying is that I am no better off with a mil spec Colt with a carbine length gas tube and buffer tube (with H2 buffer) than I am with one of the other solutions listed above? That would definitely be a money saver, but so much time and effort has been dedicated to this porblem using other systems. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I also agree. I have a similar set up and no complaints at all. Take the money you save and invest in a good optic.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Im going to disagree with the buy the 6920. Why run a car gas on a 16" rifle when you don't have to?

Option 1. Buy it. Put On a Vltor A5 tube with a A5H3. Run it.
    Option 2. Also a good one. Get a barrel that's ported conservative or adj gas block or port insert. Tune it to your liking on an A5H2 or 3.
    Option 3. Switchblocks are a good for suppressed / non suppressed system but I like options 1/2 better personally.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Depends on what the OP intends to do? A 16" 6920 variant is going to take more action mass than the H2 if dedicated to that can to keep the cyclic rate of function in a more desirable range.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Depends on what the OP intends to do? A 16" 6920 variant is going to take more action mass than the H2 if dedicated to that can to keep the cyclic rate of function in a more desirable range.
    Bingo!

And I would take that RC and put it on a SBR and buy a mini for a suppressed 16 rifle.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Get a 16" barrel like the BRT Optimum series with intermediate length gas system and conservatively sized port, use the Vltor A5 system, use either an adjustable gas block or a gas port insert.

Running a 16" barrel with Carbine gas is unnecessary in light of current market options, and not recommended with a can.

Just an absurd amount of dwell time with the can on. It's nearly akin to having a 20" barrel with Carbine gas.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Forget the gas port insert if it is used as a primary gas restriction, way too many negatives there. It is a good idea if the base gas port restriction is matched to a dedicated port in the barrel to maintain a cyclic rate with wear.
    I would tend to look for a barrel that compromises well for a 50/50 rifle that has the ability to match action mass to a desired condition. An extension of the gas system with dedicated porting can really help here. Using a dedicated mass for either with without a can. The rifle like action or A5 can really help out here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast