Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Wick - Chapter 2 : Review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

John Wick - Chapter 2 : Review

Just got home from the theater and I decided that it wouldn't be a bad thing to post up a review. I was on the fence about this one initially, thinking that it might be better to just wait for it to make it to Netflix. The wife wanted to go see it, and I had a "buy one - get one" movie ticket deal, so I figured that it couldn't hurt to go see the film.

Glad I went.

To not spoil the entire film, it's captivating enough from a plot standpoint while being a glorious symphony of violence that really does not let the initial movie down. They did a bit to develop the main characters, they brought a couple of new faces along that could appear in the third film (already working on it), and there are a couple of great twists that I did not expect.

As we all know, Keanu Reeves did a ton of work with Taran Butler to make sure that his shooting was realistic. They did a great job, and aside from a few obvious moments where accurate gun handling was sacrificed to not have the weapon obscuring the actors faces, the shooting is far better than the usual Hollywood fare. People aim, people miss (even the good guy, especially when trying to point shoot), magazines empty and need reloading, etc... Aside from a Burris product placement that actually made me groan, the brands represented are quite respectable. The cast is a great ensemble as well, with each person being believable in their role. Stand out for me was Ruby Rose. I hadn't seen her in anything before, but hope she's in more things in the future. That woman is pretty damned cute...
    Ruby-Rose-John-Wick-e1485539236960.jpg

Definitely worth the watch.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dang bro- I couldn't believe no one had already put up a review yet...I logged back on to do just that and you beat me to it.
    To me- its a definite GO SEE'ER. I too, liked to cast...the chick Rose is a sexy little thing, loved the weaponry, and how he "ordered" them & his clothing. The 1911 "thing" was funny.
    Im REALLY hating the destruction of so many classic cars though. I mean there is a finite number of them, and it makes me sick to see them completely f-ed up in so many flicks.
    My fav character besides Wick was Winston...dude is LARGE & IN CHARGE for sure.
    Yall wont be disappointed...check it out. Cant wait for JW3!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The scene where they took pot shots at each other with suppressed pistols in public was the high point of the movie for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Im REALLY hating the destruction of so many classic cars though. I mean there is a finite number of them, and it makes me sick to see them completely f-ed up in so many flicks.
    Had a family member very heavily involved in the movie biz... Most of the classics and supercars destroyed in movies are replicas and fakes. Rest easy at night.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    Had a family member very heavily involved in the movie biz... Most of the classics and supercars destroyed in movies are replicas and fakes. Rest easy at night.
    Bro-THANKS...I NEEDED THAT!!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Good flick. Read a review about how this movie has wide, no-jumpcut action sequences because Keanu can actually do it. I actually think they slow down some of the shooting scenes because he can shoot faster than people can watch. Single shell shotgun reload.... sweet.

My thought was a 3-gun comp based on those shoots.

Common plays nice rolls like here and Ace of Spades.

Great set up for a third movie.

Is the Rome scene why Die Antwoord is in my head?
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 02-18-17 at 23:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I guess I'll be "that guy".

It took coaxing to get me to watch JW1 and it was a comic book. If I were 15, I would.....maybe ...have liked it more. I didn't hate it, didn't love it, and it was a movie I felt good with only seeing once

So I figured JW2 would be better and it kinda is....

Namechecking Glock 34s and BCMs was cool. That androgynous, waifish sign language girl shall always be welcome in my boudoir, and it had its moments.

But....Neo got old and Morpheus got fat.
    I also liked the jab at 1911s in a modern day gunfight (low capacity).

A few parts of the film felt like 3 gun stages and painfully so. Most people wouldn't notice but you can totally peg certaibn parts where one could say "Shooter ready? Stand By....BEEEP"

It didn't feel remarkably different from JW1. If I were 15 again maybe......actually....no. I still like what I did when I was 15. The movie felt kinda ....not boring, not wholly uninteresting....just I didn't care about John Wick. I didn't care if he won, knew he was going to succeed, and just waited to see pissy Euro spot intertwined with pissy NYC urban renewal backdrop.

It felt like I was watching a video game playthrough. Everything was all neon and dubstep but kinda bleh.

I don't think it was "bad", just well...

I didn't like it.

It wasn't like Leon or Commando.

It felt like the actiony parts of the first Matrix before bullet time but aimed at the CBS crowd.

It was a popcorn movie. I would say I liked the first one more because you don't kill a man's dog. But....this one was like....what's the point?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It was popcorn fun. And yes, it was just a jazzed up three gun match in parts.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Just saw it. Agreed with the OP. A good flick. Worth going to the big screen.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    I think the 3-gun stage thing was almost intentional- a nod to the sport.

The assassin chick, not so much. Maybe if her sister comes along too. I though it was just a purdy' Eye-talian guy in her first scene. The bar scene she looks hot. Guess I'm just more Kate Upton.

My main issue with Wick is, either go hard core gritty like Cruise in Collateral or fully stylize it. I feel like he is comic book, but trying to be gritty.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast