Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Wick - Chapter 2 : Review

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I think the 3-gun stage thing was almost intentional- a nod to the sport.

The assassin chick, not so much. Maybe if her sister comes along too. I though it was just a purdy' Eye-talian guy in her first scene. The bar scene she looks hot. Guess I'm just more Kate Upton.

My main issue with Wick is, either go hard core gritty like Cruise in Collateral or fully stylize it. I feel like he is comic book, but trying to be gritty.
    I think Frank Miller would have a word about that.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I thought I remembered seeing a review thread started by Will Brink but am having trouble finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Dang bro- I couldn't believe no one had already put up a review yet...I logged back on to do just that and you beat me to it.
    To me- its a definite GO SEE'ER. I too, liked to cast...the chick Rose is a sexy little thing, loved the weaponry, and how he "ordered" them & his clothing. The 1911 "thing" was funny.
    Im REALLY hating the destruction of so many classic cars though. I mean there is a finite number of them, and it makes me sick to see them completely f-ed up in so many flicks.
    My fav character besides Wick was Winston...dude is LARGE & IN CHARGE for sure.
    Yall wont be disappointed...check it out. Cant wait for JW3!
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I remember he did one on the first John Wick - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Wick-(Review)

I liked the movie. I agree with the criticism that I wasn't rooting for Wick as much in the second as the first. In the first movie, he was legitimately wronged in a somewhat plausible scenario, and the idea that some pompus thug kid went after the "wrong guy" was a fun scenario. I'm a dog lover, his deceased wife gave him the dog, retired badass hit man with nothing to lose. Good story. JW2, the premise was weaker.

Also agree with the criticism that the second one straddled the line of stylish comic book and gritty realism. I like gritty realism.

I also didn't like the emphasis on the whole gold coin, blood oath, secret texts to other hitmen and cleaners (apparently 50% of the population on any give street or subway). Too much of the secret society, comic book world in the second one.

That being said, I really enjoyed the movie. It really is a symphony of violence, from CQB hand to hand improvised weapons (pencils) to obvious nods to 3 gun and some fun center axis relock stuff, in the setting where that technique makes most sense (phone-booth range).

Beggars can't be choosers and on a relative scale, compared to most options for action movies, this one is pretty great. I respect the heck out of Keanu for actually being a martial artist, studying JJJ, Judo, and actually being a shooter, training, shooting 3 gun and seeking out guys like Taran to teach him how to shoot. I really hope Keanu isn't a liberal tool anti-gunner (when it comes to his views on everyday citizens and guns).

They had a cool selection of guns, cool cars, some good martial arts techniques (Omoplata, armbars, kata guruma, ogoshi and ogoshi variations that I can't remember the names of, several foot sweeps and reaps, guard pulling to sweep variations into full mount, side mount, berimbolo and lot's of Japanese hard style striking, Kyokushin etc).

When I find a movie with more action than drama, cool guns, cool cars, good hand to hand and good or even decent gun handling, actual mag changes etc, I don't complain much. I just smile and grab my popcorn. Then I go home, hit my heavy bag and fondle my guns. All is right in the world for a small moment.

Oh and by the way, where can I get one of those bulletproof suits? I may need one some day.
    Last edited by Cazwell; 02-19-17 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I think Frank Miller would have a word about that.
    So would the recent version of Frank Castle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just finished watching it on a Delta flight. I think Guardians of the Galaxy required less suspension of disbelief.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The DVD will be released 6/13 and that is when I will see it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    The DVD will be released 6/13 and that is when I will see it.
    Same here.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    Watched it and it was ok. The plot was pretty terrible and really didn't make any sense. But I liked the Judo/Jiujitsu stuff and some of the gunfights were entertaining.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The first movie was well done and a lot of fun. Chapter two is just one cheesy overly choreographed utterly improbably fight scene after another where he takes punishment no human would survive. It pushes the suspension of disbelief past it's breaking point and I found myself bored halfway through. No combat shooter gonna choose a Kimber...The supporting cast is stellar and the best part of the movie, but even they can't save this one. It's stylish to look at and action packed to be sure, but falls well short of the first one. Watch the trailers, you pretty much seen the movie... C+
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast