Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: John Wick - Chapter 2 : Review

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    So to sum this up;

Anone else notice JW wears a Tactle-neck?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
    The scene where they took pot shots at each other with suppressed pistols in public was the high point of the movie for me.
    That and the 1911 thing made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Good flick. Read a review about how this movie has wide, no-jumpcut action sequences because Keanu can actually do it. I actually think they slow down some of the shooting scenes because he can shoot faster than people can watch. Single shell shotgun reload.... sweet.
    In the same realm as the 1911 bit, it was good to see a realistic take on a shotgun in a modern gunfight.... especially since they gave him a semi, usually that turns into an endless unlimited-ammo blam-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazwell View Post
    ....Also agree with the criticism that the second one straddled the line of stylish comic book and gritty realism. I like gritty realism.

I also didn't like the emphasis on the whole gold coin, blood oath, secret texts to other hitmen and cleaners (apparently 50% of the population on any give street or subway). Too much of the secret society, comic book world in the second one.

That being said, I really enjoyed the movie. It really is a symphony of violence, from CQB hand to hand improvised weapons (pencils) to obvious nods to 3 gun and some fun center axis relock stuff, in the setting where that technique makes most sense (phone-booth range).

Beggars can't be choosers and on a relative scale, compared to most options for action movies, this one is pretty great. I respect the heck out of Keanu for actually being a martial artist, studying JJJ, Judo, and actually being a shooter, training, shooting 3 gun and seeking out guys like Taran to teach him how to shoot. I really hope Keanu isn't a liberal tool anti-gunner (when it comes to his views on everyday citizens and guns).

They had a cool selection of guns, cool cars, some good martial arts techniques (Omoplata, armbars, kata guruma, ogoshi and ogoshi variations that I can't remember the names of, several foot sweeps and reaps, guard pulling to sweep variations into full mount, side mount, berimbolo and lot's of Japanese hard style striking, Kyokushin etc).

When I find a movie with more action than drama, cool guns, cool cars, good hand to hand and good or even decent gun handling, actual mag changes etc, I don't complain much. I just smile and grab my popcorn. Then I go home, hit my heavy bag and fondle my guns. All is right in the world for a small moment.

Oh and by the way, where can I get one of those bulletproof suits? I may need one some day.
    This is probably the best take on the movie- a "symphony of violence". You just got to take it at face value- an action flick with a barely-there story and better than average H2H and gunplay.

That being said....

I feel like both of them veered way more towards "comic book" than "gritty"- realistic, yes, gritty, no.

Assassin-bieber was just....odd, made a big deal out if her, then... nothing, really. Psycho assassin chick from part 1 was more fun...

I also got a kick out of how many hits he took to that bullet suit, and how many bruises/cracked ribs he didn't have afterwards....

However, I actually liked part 2 better. Yep. I said it.
    I feel like they did a *slightly* better job at hiding the "we put a 3-gun stage into a movie" aspect, and I actually bought into the story slightly more. Ok, the secret society/Pirates' "code of the brethren court" thing is a little over the top, BUT,at least this time JW ended up fighting opponents of similar skill, so the "threat" when doing the action scenes felt a little more real- part 1, the bad guy and his henchmen, was just a cocky d-bag and the usual cannon fodder henchmen, and that kind of ruined part 1 for me, like..,.a lot...

The "50% of NY are assassins" thing, yeah... there can't be that many folks that need killing (although...*cough*)... however, that actually worked out really well in the end, if you take it somewhat metaphorically- less there are literally that many in the organization, more *anyone* could be in the organization...

Also given this "secret society of assassins", it would have been a perfect opportunity for an Agent 47 cameo- like JW walks into the hotel bar for a drink, and 47 is sitting down the other end of the bar, he looks over at JW and is like "rough night?" Can't believe they missed that crossover....
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-18-17 at 11:26.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Good flick. Read a review about how this movie has wide, no-jumpcut action sequences because Keanu can actually do it. I actually think they slow down some of the shooting scenes because he can shoot faster than people can watch. Single shell shotgun reload.... sweet.

My thought was a 3-gun comp based on those shoots.

Common plays nice rolls like here and Ace of Spades.

Great set up for a third movie.

Is the Rome scene why Die Antwoord is in my head?
    Yea some crazy stuff for sure ! After all its just entertainment,,I don't look to deep into movies like this ! It was a bit over the top at times,,but so what I enjoyed it ! Here is a quick vid of the man getting it done !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yk7K8-HnfI
    (How do you embed the vid like most of you guys do. I'm being a blockhead. )
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 06-18-17 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    There is going to be a spinoff TV show based on the hotel the assassins hang out at

The Continental:
    http://thechive.com/2017/06/18/a-joh...een-announced/

Tread carefully as the above website is somewhat NSFW.
    Last edited by Big A; 06-19-17 at 18:46.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    There is going to be a spinoff TV show based on the hotel the assassins hang out at

The Continental:
    hechive.com/2017/06/18/a-john-wick-tv-show-has-just-been-announced/

Tread carefully as the above website is somewhat NSFW.
    Get an error code when I click on it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Too many press checks!
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Add a "t" to the front of the link and it works. Website is thechive.com

The show sounds like an awesome idea, the whole world they created is fascinating

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Too many press checks!
    Did you see the one handed one?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    Add a "t" to the front of the link and it works. Website is thechive.com
    Thanks, it worked, but they didn't like my ad blocker and wouldn't let me see the site.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Did you see the one handed one?
    With the 1911?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I think I fixed the link in my post.

Here is another from Maxim:
    https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...w-title-2017-6

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast