Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my SIG 320 Compact! UPDATE: FAILURES TO EXTRACT!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Project: Break my SIG 320 Compact! UPDATE: FAILURES TO EXTRACT!

Hey guys,

As some of you know, I have been shooting my SIG 320 Compact for the past month or so. I have enjoyed it so much I am going to make it into one of my "break my" threads. And this time, I vow to shoot this gun to destruction!!! I will shoot it average 500 rounds per week in two sessions. It will primarily be dog crap steel or Blazer brass ammo.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

At this point I have owned it for one month. I have fired 1076 rounds at this point. I have fired (mainly) Blazer brass and Monarch steel. I have also fired Blazer Aluminum, Monarch Brass, Winchester White Box, 147grain HST and 124 grain Gold Dot +P.

Here are the things I have noticed so far...

1. The trigger is very good. It is basically a smooth Glock trigger minus the trigger "safety." The trigger is what everybody wants now days. Light, short, clicky reset, and pretty smooth. When it was new it had a secondary click at the end of the trigger stroke but it went away in the first 200 rounds.

2. The grip is great. And I love, love, love the placement of the slide release levers and the protective shelf. HK and Walther, if you haven't looked at the M&P, at least look at this. This basically puts it ahead of my previous favorite compact 9mm the HK P2000. Occasionally when doing 6/6/6 drills or any drill with super fast reloads you are in danger of accidentally holding the slide levers down on those designs-and even the Glock. This is ultimately a user issue, but the 320 and M&P do a good job of idiot proofing.

3. The mags appear to be very well put together.Also, I am only going to be using two magazines. I have marked them with a paint pen. I drop my mags on clay, dirt and occasionally concrete so this should be a pretty good test of their durability.

4. The parts quality looks very high. I guess Indian QC is pretty good these days.

5. Reassembly can easily become drama. I took mine apart to poke around and when I reassembled the gun I didn't hold my butt cheeks right or something. and when it came back together the trigger didn't work. Apparently the takedown lever was in the wrong position. No biggie, but odd. I have had this pop up a few times.

6. The size of the package is reasonable. A big chunkier than the G19, but it has a better feature set.

7. Accuracy is reasonable. I have been shooting a lot of DA so I am having to readjust.

Honestly, I shoot my Beretta better, but I am pretty good with the 320. With the 320 my Bills are nearly as good as with my Beretta 92---but I am more accurate during El Prez drills with the Beretta. My El Prez setup is A zone steel only. If you miss, there is just no ding. With the B92 I can drive the gun much faster without risk of a miss. Then again, I have a lot more time on the B92, and I am having to readjust my grip for the different trigger style. The 320 has very good recoil characteristics. However, it is easier to track the front sight on the B92 during Bills and El Prez. However, over 5 shot averaged groups the difference in split times is only .012 in favor of the B92 so you aren't talking about much (over an average of 6 bill drill's each the B92 won by .012 also which was wild) . The splits are more uneven in the 320--with some being a good deal faster than the others compared to the Beretta's nearly perfect cadence.

8. At first the slide release was VERY tight. This slowed me down on reloads vs the B92. But it has loosed up and this is no longer an issue.

9. I have attempted to limp wrist the 320 into a malfunction. I can't do it so far, even with very light loaded Blazer brass. I can do this fairly easily with the world standard G19 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAuHst-j6eI. Of course, this is just one small test, but so far so good. And the B92 easily passes this test as well.

I have also fired several hundred rounds with a Surefire X200 attached to confirm it was solid. It is. When the Surefire XC2 becomes available I will add it. Right now it rides in a standard Raven Concealment OWB holster.

One question though, do you guys think I should ...

(A) Not clean it at all. At this point I am over 800 rounds since I have cleaned it. I do spray rem oil in the action every 250 rounds.

(B) Clean it after every 250 rounds (which is one range session).

(C) Clean it after a fixed number of rounds (250, 500, 1000, etc)?

What say you?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Clean it every 1000 rds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

As some of you know, I have been shooting my SIG 320 Compact for the past month or so. I have enjoyed it so much I am going to make it into one of my "break my" threads. And this time, I vow to shoot this gun to destruction!!! I will shoot it minimum 500 rounds per week. It will primarily be dog crap steel or Blazer brass ammo.

One question though, do you guys think I should ...

(A) Not clean it at all. At this point I am over 800 rounds since I have cleaned it. I do spray rem oil in the action every 250 rounds.

(B) Clean it after every 250 rounds (which is one range session).

(C) Clean it after a fixed number of rounds (250, 500, 1000, etc)?

What say you?
    Throw it threw the ringer. Clean it every 1500 rounds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any reason you like using some of the crappiest gun lube on the market? Rem Oil is as about as crappy as you can find. Use some good lube and just don't clean it..ever. I took one of my G17s to 5,000 without cleaning a few years ago. Used Lucas Gun soil every 1,000 rounds. No problems

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I agree with the 1500rnd or so. Keep in mind that the 320's like to be ran a little wetter than most polymer pistols, I've got over 5K thru one of mine with only one stoppage.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do the 2,000 round challenge with the P320. That's no additional lubrication or cleaning until all 2,000 rounds are fired. Once the challenge is complete, add a few drops of lube (don't clean) and keep shooting. Lube every 1,000 until you get to 5,000. Or 10,000. Again, I highly recommend quality gun lubricant. Rem Oil evaporates/dried up in like 100-200 rounds in my experience.

Feedback Score
    Agreed on many points with above post.
    2000rd challenge
    Rem oil will work if you keep adding. If not, get something less volatile, like slip2k.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    1000 rounds. Unless you are purely abusing it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why not make this interesting. Start with 2,500 between cleanings. If you need to you can always adjust it downward to 2,000. 1,500 or 1,000.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I think I am going to go with 1000 rounds (approx every 2-3 weeks). I am going for hardish, but not extreme use. But I'll keep thinking about it

I don't care about lubes. I typically use Rem-oil because it comes in aerosol form and Is good at cleaning out nooks and crannies without breaking out the compressor. Sometimes I drop some Hoppes or wilsons ultimate lube that came in a cleaning kit/got free on the rails if I am feeling super energetic. Honestly, I have never noticed any difference in function even when shooting my full auto and supressed stuff. But I am in a mild climate. On the other hand, lube agnosticism has allowed me to avoid the "gotta have" lubes that always turn out to be vagisil or cockroach sperm or whatever.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast