Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my SIG 320 Compact! UPDATE: FAILURES TO EXTRACT!

Feedback Score
    I clean my P320 every 500 rounds. What's the point in doing so at 1000, 1500, 2000 etc., etc.? A test to determine how lazy you can be? There's no practical reason to do so, including combat.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I think I am going to go with 1000 rounds (approx every 2-3 weeks). I am going for hardish, but not extreme use. But I'll keep thinking about it

I don't care about lubes. I typically use Rem-oil because it comes in aerosol form and Is good at cleaning out nooks and crannies without breaking out the compressor. Sometimes I drop some Hoppes or wilsons ultimate lube that came in a cleaning kit/got free on the rails if I am feeling super energetic. Honestly, I have never noticed any difference in function even when shooting my full auto and supressed stuff. But I am in a mild climate. On the other hand, lube agnosticism has allowed me to avoid the "gotta have" lubes that always turn out to be vagisil or cockroach sperm or whatever.
    Why not run a good quality grease? SIG actually recommends grease for some of their pistols, and I know Bruce Gray's shop recommends grease. I've run the supplied SIG grease on my P226X5 and the wife's P320. Seems to work well, doesn't have a lot of odor, and it stays put. Think of it as an additional experiment deviating from using oil as lube and instead running grease.

Otherwise I usually just lube with some sort of CLP since most of them don't sling off the weapon or dry out like Rem-Oil does in my experience.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Please read Greg's first post. He is trying to break this gun. He is not trying to baby it. It sounds like he is using "lube" only to keep the gun running, not trying to use the best lube, just any slick liquid. He is also not trying to use the best ammo, only ammo that he gets his sticky little hands on, russian, junks, etc. By the way, I have no idea if he's got little hands, only using those terms as metaphor (I think that's the right word, I didn't go to law school).

So please stop giving him tips on the best oil/lube/ammo. He is trying to break this gun.

As for lube, I suggest he use crisco !

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ok well not trying to crap on his parade but cleaning a gun every 500-1000 is hardly abusive. I'd consider that quite normal. Hell I shot 1,000 through my new CQB-E 9mm in a week. Stripped it down and the frame rails had barely any finish removed. And that's on a pretty tight 1911. I usually run all of my handguns to ~1500-2K without cleaning and none is worse for wear. Add lube every 500 or so. Cleaning every 1K will be a cakewalk for this gun. If he's truly "trying to break it" then why clean it at all?

But this is Greg's thread and this will be my last post on the issue. Good luck with whatever cleaning regimen you choose. I'll be following.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 02-20-17 at 12:38.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Please read Greg's first post. He is trying to break this gun. He is not trying to baby it. It sounds like he is using "lube" only to keep the gun running, not trying to use the best lube, just any slick liquid. He is also not trying to use the best ammo, only ammo that he gets his sticky little hands on, russian, junks, etc. By the way, I have no idea if he's got little hands, only using those terms as metaphor (I think that's the right word, I didn't go to law school).

So please stop giving him tips on the best oil/lube/ammo. He is trying to break this gun.

As for lube, I suggest he use crisco !
    Is intentionally trying to break it? Or just running it til it breaks?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bear13 View Post

Like MAC with his VP9 (throwing it against stuff)?

Seriously though, it's interesting to see how Bell's P320 test will go.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear13 View Post
    Read his post. It's pretty clear what his intention is.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Read his post. It's pretty clear what his intention is.
    I assumed he meant shooting it until it breaks, but not purposely breaking it. I feel there is a difference. I think this is going to be great. I miss reading TLG and his tests.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Update: 1276 rounds Malfunctions: 1

Well, she had her first malfunction today. During the second magazine through the gun today I had a failure to extract.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

This was with Blazer Brass ammunition. I wasn't too worried as I had similar issues with my Wilson 92G Brig Tac with this ammunition. I fired about 3 1/2 more boxes of ammo through the gun and it didn't repeat. I bought several thousand rounds of this garbage in anticipation of a Hillary election. It is extremely light.

The gun's workout for today was....

Bill Drills (unconcealed). (Best time without miss 2.39 worst without miss 3.02)
    El Prez Drills (Unconcealed). (Best time without miss 9.4/ worst without miss 10.81)
    6/6/6 Drills (concealed) (Best/ worst without miss (5.39/6.33)
    6/6/6 drills while moving side to side (concealed)
    6/6/6 drills while moving forward and backwards (concealed)
    I finished the day off shooting at steel gongs at 50/75 and 100 yards.

When I got home I took her apart to look inside....

Everything is pretty gross. The mags are dropped in clay/dirt and grass on every drill so the base plates are starting to look a little scruffy.

I tested the trigger and it is coming in at 7.1 pounds. Originally it came in at 6.6 pounds. I am going to hose it off and see if there is any change. It might also be lazy trigger pull testing on my part.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    GREAT intel. Thank you for doing this. Keep us posted!
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast