Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel barrel suggestions

Feedback Score

6.5 Grendel barrel suggestions

I'd like to put together a 6.5 Grendel AR. My understanding is that it's the only real option that gets you better all around performance vs 5.56: more energy both up close and at longer ranges. In comparison, 6.8 SPC doesn't do as well as 5.56 at longer ranges due to poor ballistic coefficient. There's also cheap plinking ammo available in Grendel...

Most of what I shoot through it will be decent ammo, but I don't want to feel bad about shooting Wolf through it sometimes, so I'd rather not go with stainless. I'm not aware of any chrome lined Grendel barrels, so that leaves nitride.

For the barrel itself I'd like to stick to $250 or less. I'm happy to spend a bit more if it includes a matched bolt.

Suggestions?

oh, forgot to mention that I'd like 18" or so, medium profile.
    Last edited by Junkie; 02-19-17 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 16" Alexander Arms "Lite" (fluted) barrel I am building a rifle with currently is very nice. 18" version is $195. AA doesn't sell matched bolts but if you call them they will tell you they guarantee their bolts to headspace in their barrels.

That said, the idea of a Faxon 6.5G barrel and bolt that was brought up in Faxon's "Ask us anything" thread is intriguing.
    Last edited by cdmiller; 02-20-17 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For what you get, the AA barrels are awesome. Shilen is another great one, pricey but top notch.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have a 18" medium contour barrel as part of a complete AA upper that is sub-moa. The fluted version would perform similarly, I expect, and is currently available for $195.

Feedback Score
    At this point I'm considering 2 options.

The AA barrel appears stainless, and says it has no external coating, but that implies there's an internal coating. I don't know what alloy it is.

The Faxon barrel isn't available yet. It says it's 416R QPQ. It costs a little more, but it isn't a dealbreaker.

Does anyone know about what coating the AA barrel has on the chamber/bore?

mark, if I was going with one that only shot good ammo I'd consider high end... but I'd feel really bad about doing some closer up fast shooting with steel crap through a Shilen.

Feedback Score
    I think he's sold out but check Ar15performance. He sells 4150 melonited grendel barrels. I have a couple of his 223 wylde barrels and they perform above their price point. The owner is a member here.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    It looks like those aren't available until fall. Not sure I want to wait that long.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Both of my AA barrels are stainless and neither has a coated bore or chamber. My 18" has a black phosphate finish on the exterior.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    At this point I'm considering 2 options.

The AA barrel appears stainless, and says it has no external coating, but that implies there's an internal coating. I don't know what alloy it is.

The Faxon barrel isn't available yet. It says it's 416R QPQ. It costs a little more, but it isn't a dealbreaker.

Does anyone know about what coating the AA barrel has on the chamber/bore?

mark, if I was going with one that only shot good ammo I'd consider high end... but I'd feel really bad about doing some closer up fast shooting with steel crap through a Shilen.
    Correct. We will use stainless for Grendel as most shooters of the round are highly interested in accuracy.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Grendel shooters who have them have been reporting great results with the AA lite barrels. I believe they are made by Bergara. I'm eyeing one for a build now.

The AA hard use bolt is also GTG by all reports, I have one on order.

My main Grendel now is an older AA SS 16" mil profile (no 203 cuts) with AA non -coated bolt. Just a carbine, not optimized for accuracy, and I'm in moa range at 200 yards with Hornady factory ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast