Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas block question.. Is it salvageable???

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Gas block question.. Is it salvageable???

Alright guys, I'm needing some help.. (Warning: This probably belongs in the gunsmithing hall of shame thread).

A friend mine bought a BCM Recce carbine and decided to swap barrels for a lighter weight barrel. After the swap he asked if I wanted the old barrel assembly since he wasn't going to use it, so naturally I said "hell yes" with the intent on using it to build a beater/training rifle.

The barrel is a 14.5 BCM government profile barrel with a pinned BCM comp.

Well this is what he gave me..

Apparently instead of heating the barrel up to remove the screws, he decided to *attempt* to drill the screws out. He didn't drill deep enough to contact the barrel, and from what I can tell it doesn't look like he drilled past the screw head, so the gas block is still installed in the correct position. He didn't know the muzzle device was permanently attached via pin either, and didn't understand you have to slide the gas block off to remove it.

As of right now it probably still functions, but I'd prefer to fix it before assembling it into a complete rifle. So what route would be best? Send it off to have the BCM comp and gas block removed and replaced (most expensive option), buy a jig from BRD engineering and just pin this gas block in place and call it good, or attempt to run it as is (not sure how I feel about that). I'm leaning toward buying the BRD jig (I have a few other builds that I need it for anyway) and pinning it and leaving it be. It currently has a standard barrel nut on it, and I planned on running a Centurion C4 rail, so that's no biggie there.

What do you guys think? Would pinning this block be worth it, or is it damaged to the point that it warrants being replaced?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rogue556; 02-19-17 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You could salvage the barrel by sending it to ADCO.

If you are careful, you could do the work yourself without damaging the barrel or it's finish.

I wouldn't pin the gas block like that. If it functions, it's probably ok, but it's ugly and would bother my CDO
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Gas block question.. Is it salvageable???

Yo I told you what to do on imgur!

As long as it functions pin it and call it a day.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 02-19-17 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You could salvage the barrel by sending it to ADCO.

If you are careful, you could do the work yourself without damaging the barrel or it's finish.

I wouldn't pin the gas block like that. If it functions, it's probably ok, but it's ugly and would bother my CDO
    Oh it's most definitely ugly. I may try it out and see if it still runs with a spare stripped upper I have laying around. If it wasn't for it being a pinned 14.5 I'd probably find a way to carefully dremel it off and just swap gasblocks. Oh well, it was free so I shouldn't complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Yo I told you what to do on imgur!

As long as it functions pin it and call it a day.
    Lmao Man I just KNEW you had to be an M4C member. I created an Imgur account to link images here since photobucket has had electronic aids here lately, but for the life of me can't figure Imgur out. I thought the pictures were posted in a private album until everyone started commenting on the hack job haha.

I actually have been waiting on BRD's Geissele jig to come back in stock to finish an 18" SPR build, and was looking for an excuse to buy the BCM/Vltor jig as well anyway since over half my rifles are factory assembled BCM's. Looks like I have an excuse now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    I created an Imgur account to link images here since photobucket has had electronic aids here lately, but for the life of me can't figure Imgur out. I thought the pictures were posted in a private album until everyone started commenting on the hack job haha.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IgnorantImgur/

Edited to add actual help: If I were to salvage the barrel (the most pricey bit of the upper) I'd drill the pins further, and use an EZ-Out. Replace the gas block, gas block screws, and compensator (which by law would have to be destroyed during removal anyway). That's a big If, though. By the time all that's said and done, I'd rather just get a new upper assembly.

Maybe there's a way to drill the comp's blindpin, EZ-Out the gas block pins, reinstall the barrel and comp, and then blind-pin and weld both the comp and gas block... but then you'd be completely stuck with that final configuration. I'd still just get a new, complete upper instead of going to such great lengths to maybe get something that might work.
    Last edited by Dionysusigma; 02-20-17 at 00:00.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do it correctly. Remove the pinned MD, replace the gas block & repin the MD back on. If you're not capable of doing the work yourself, find someone who is.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd do what MistWolf suggested and send it to ADCO. If it can be fixed they'll fix it. If it can't, they can remove the muzzle device, replace the gas block and pin & weld a new muzzle device. This could get more expensive than it's worth.

Good luck!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You MAY and I stress MAY be able to salvage that muzzle device. Your buddy most likely couldn't remove the screws because they are very hard to remove, even with heat. That said, I would seek some qualified assistance in the removal.

Why he did so anyways is beyond me, since the barrel can be removed by simply removing the gas tube.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    [url]...EZ-Out the gas block pins...
    There's nothing left to EZ Out. Drilling any deeper will result in drilling into the barrel itself
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    By the time you ship it out, ship it back, pay the labor and replace the GB/MD you're gonna have 200 bucks in a free barrel. For 200 bucks you could buy a Faxon 16" barrel, GB and A2 FH. If it were given to me I would TIG the GB on and put it away for a real rainy day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast