Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Eotech still a no-go or?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    At first I was like....is this guy kidding? The I realized you were being serious. I say that because there are probably 100's of threads about this and other issues with EOTech. I would suggest read those and coming to your own conclusion. Ultimately, you need to get what is best for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not trying to give you a snappy response, but this subject has been literally beat to death. That horse ain't gettin' up chief.

But since I can't sleep tonight I'll regurgitate a little more. The HWS drift issue was just one of the problems reported with EOTech. Reported I would add by guys using the optic in the SOPMOD program, meaning SOF guys. There was also the battery/battery compartment issue. Camps are pretty established regarding EOTech. There have been some well known Tier 1 guys who wouldn't spend someone else's money on an EOTech because of the issues, and also because L3 tried to hide and cover it up. There are a few who still would use one. I would recommend searching the forum. Read the threads and come to your own conclusion. Besides the issues I've already mentioned, there are plenty who don't like the battery life. That don't like the auto-shut off feature that consequently means that before using it, you will have to turn it on. Still there are guys out there that use them and they have bona fides. I would tell you that those that do probably have other optics on their battle rifle other than EOTech. An ACOG or an Aimpoint or an LPV optic. I have a couple of EOTechs. EXPS3's. I really like the reticle and I haven't experienced the drifting failure on mine, and my model doesn't have the battery issues which has supposedly been resolved. (That was more on the 553/512 style with batteries inline with recoil.)
    That said, my latest build, which has been designated my "go-to" rifle, at this moment has a CompM4 mounted on top that I am giving a go with. Not that I don't like my other optics, but I like having redundancy. Not necessarily redundancy by brand but redundancy in purpose. And I like it. I like the 8 +/- year battery life. I like that I won't have to turn it on to use it. But I'm not ready to get rid of the EOTechs. That was the decision I made on how I would spend my money and equip my CQ AR. I also chose not to jump on the refund wagon. Again my decision, with my own guns and gear. That's why I'm saying that in the end, you'll have to come to your own conclusion and decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always appreciate your responses Robert. Didn't mean to beat a dead horse, so I apologize for that! I just didn't have a clear understanding on exactly what the problem was, nor if it was something a civilian would have to worry about on a range rifle or POSSIBLY SHTF rifle.

I did read a few threads over it but they often got off track and leave you more confused than before.

I'm in no big hurry to complete this rifle, so I have all the time in the world to make a decision on optics.

I will admit, having found an LMT SOPMOD stock for almost nothing, the idea of a SOPMOD build did peak my interest. I was thinking an eotech and 3x magnifier.

But after fully understanding the problem with eotech, I'll have to find another option!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My Agency issued EO-Techs for 10 years, mostly 552's with a few XPS 03's. I don't recommend them but if you must have one, the XPS is superior to the older dual battery models.

If you want a quality sight with a Circle dot reticle take a look at the Vortex AH-1 and the SIG Romeo 4 M.

The AH-1 is brand new.

The Romeo 4M has been tested by Fed LE. It is the new issue optic for the FBI, replacing the Aimpoints H2, and approved for use on personally owned agency approved duty rifles. It is also approved for duty use by CBP / USBP via local office purchase.
    I will definitely be looking into these brands. Thanks for the comments!

Also, assuming I understood your post correctly, and you're a LEO, thank you for your service!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I'd say no, it wouldn't be a concern.

I've owned 3 Eotechs, two EXPS & an XPS. The temps where I live vary throughout the year from roughly -10° to 90°+ and I've never noticed a significant shift for my type of shooting. Remember, it's an RDS, not a long distance precision scope.

A bigger issue with the Eotech, in my opinion, is reticle fade.
    Can you elaborate on the reticle fade?
    What causes it?
    Is it on specific models?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Even if EOTechs worked perfectly I wouldn't give them a dime on principle. They lied and covered up their issues. That alone is enough for me to write them off. Knowing they willingly jeopardized the lives of mil/LE - i find it inexcusable.
    Very, very valid point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Eotech still a no-go or?

Quote Originally Posted by GarandShooter View Post
    Can you elaborate on the reticle fade?
    What causes it?
    Is it on specific models?
    There's some info about it on Eotech's website.

Basically, there's areas in the FOV where the reticle isn't as bright as it should be and it appears faded.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    There's some info about it on Eotech's website.

Basically, there's areas in the FOV where the reticle isn't as bright as it should be and it appears faded.
    That answered all of my questions regarding the issues. Thanks a ton Ryno!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgm View Post
    I have not seen any public indication Eotech has redesigned or fixed the issues plaguing them.

jpgm
    I just read thishttp://www.eotechinc.com/dear-valued-eotech-customer and it makes mention of thermal drift prior to October 2016 and after October 2016. Not sure if that means they fixed it, but there is a difference, according to that portion of their site.

I only read it because I was looking for the same info as I kind of want a new Eotech for the reticle, but haven't decided yet.

I hope I don't get crucified for saying I want an Eotech.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swobe1 View Post
    I just read thishttp://www.eotechinc.com/dear-valued-eotech-customer and it makes mention of thermal drift prior to October 2016 and after October 2016. Not sure if that means they fixed it, but there is a difference, according to that portion of their site.

I only read it because I was looking for the same info as I kind of want a new Eotech for the reticle, but haven't decided yet.

I hope I don't get crucified for saying I want an Eotech.
    Don't think it will ever be fixed... something most don't understand is that drift exist in aimpoint also and a number of other RDS systems.

why this got so much media play is they did not disclose the findings, they opted to not disclose them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mballz23 View Post
    ^this. Make your own conclusion based on the known facts. However my personal opinion is unless you're building a clone correct rifle, i.e. Block 2, there's obvious better options in the optic world that are proven without issues. Boring reliability is more important than looks on a "go to" rifle, and to beat a dead horse, aimpoint is sticking out probably to all of us.

Also going to agree with Robert on a follow up post on the stay away from the newest greatest thing until things are hashed out, i.e. Vortex UH-1. Granted I didn't really do that with my LPVO but I went based off name and, most importantly, my own drawn conclusions on the optic.

Good luck,
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    that simply does not exist, they all have issues. what a consumer needs to weigh is if those issues are important to them.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    For the same money or less, you can get an Aimpoint Pro. I have two of the Pro's, and five of the Micro's, and have found them to be completely reliable.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast