Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metal Glock mags for increased capacity flush fit mags adn better reliability...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Didn't Glock initially use non metal lined mags and had issues with mags bulging...
    Yes, the early Glock mag bodies were all plastic and the would bulge when loaded, and then they wouldn't drop-free. Apparently Europeans didn't recognize that as a problem...

Since the 1990s, though, the metal-lined OEM Glock mags "drop-free."

Anyway, given that the OEM mags are "double-stack," I don't understand how the OP would stack more rounds in there... Three wide?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Only way to potentially increase the round count with a wider mag body is to change the stagger angle. Say that in today's body the rounds stacked like say round two was at the 1 clock position relative to the first round in a mag. Round 3 was at 11 oclock... a wider body could mean that # 2 was at 2 oclock and #3 at 10 oclock. Theoretically the height of the stack could be altered. Not sure what the impact on reliability would be.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Yes, the early Glock mag bodies were all plastic and the would bulge when loaded, and then they wouldn't drop-free. Apparently Europeans didn't recognize that as a problem...
    I still have a couple of Glock 21 non-drop free mags. They still work fine too.
    NRA & GOA - Join the fight!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I like the metal lining with the plastic outer shell. My skin is oily/greasy/sweaty as hell, and every other metal mag I touch leaves enough residue that I have to clean it off so it doesn't rust.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GregP220 View Post
    I still have a couple of Glock 21 non-drop free mags. They still work fine too.
    I still have a couple for my Glock 22, too, and they still work as designed (they don't drop free).

It still floors me to think that I paid $60 each for them during the dark days of the AWB...

Feedback Score
    Didn't ProMag or someone try this years ago and it chewed up guns so bad that they didn't sell?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Didn't ProMag or someone try this years ago and it chewed up guns so bad that they didn't sell?
    I actually thought that they did, but a quick search pulled up nothing which was why I didn't mention it myself. Me personally, seeing anything labeled promag means run away, run away quickly, and trample those who are slow when it comes to mags. So I wouldn't have touched them with the OP's dick tied to a 40 foot pole hung off the bow of the Enterprise. No offense OP.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Since the 1990s, though, the metal-lined OEM Glock mags "drop-free."

Anyway, given that the OEM mags are "double-stack," I don't understand how the OP would stack more rounds in there... Three wide?
    What I am talking about is that with .40 and .45 they are not true double stacks. They are more like stalk and a half's. If you increased the internal volume by going with a metal mag, they could stack better and thus hold a couple more rounds while also potentially or theoretically being more reliable. There is no problem with Glock mags reliability now. But if you could have more rounds in the same space and also still be reliable, wouldn't that be nice?

TED

Feedback Score
    I ain't an engineer but I gotta wonder, if it were so easy to get better capacity for the space then why doesn't everyone else do it?

I couldn't possibly count the number of glock-like pistols that have been designed since glocks became popular. Why don't they all put glock to shame?

I bet it's 'cuz it ain't easy.

Feedback Score
    The early mags just didn't just bulge and not drop free. Here are a couple of mine after leaving them loaded for a extended period of time.

Glock Mags Split.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast