Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: removing tight fit barrel

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

removing tight fit barrel

I have a BCM blem upper receiver and want to do some test fitting. The barrel I have gets pretty tight about 1/2 way in. As did a different barrel by a different manufacturer.

I understand BMC recommends to tap the barrel in with a rubber mallet if need be. But my question is, how exactly do you -remove- a barrel, especially not a worn one where you wouldn't care if it got damaged or not.

It seems like it would be impossible to just pull out. Can you just use a big wooden dowel? Is there anything you specifically don't want to do.

I'm 99% certain I can just install this and will leave it but would like to know the best way to remove one safely.

TB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I have a BCM blem upper receiver and want to do some test fitting. The barrel I have gets pretty tight about 1/2 way in. As did a different barrel by a different manufacturer.

I understand BMC recommends to tap the barrel in with a rubber mallet if need be. But my question is, how exactly do you -remove- a barrel, especially not a worn one where you wouldn't care if it got damaged or not.

It seems like it would be impossible to just pull out. Can you just use a big wooden dowel? Is there anything you specifically don't want to do.

I'm 99% certain I can just install this and will leave it but would like to know the best way to remove one safely.

TB
    Wooden or Delrin dowel tapped on barrel extension from the rear.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    You can throw the upper in your oven at 200 degrees for a bit. The aluminum will expand more than the steel making removal a bit easier.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Heat gun (or hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun). Heat the area of the receiver where the barrel extension sits. It might take a few minutes, but eventually you will be able to pull the barrel out with little to no resistance. The BCM M4 uppers are intentionally tight and typically need to be heated to get the barrel extension in or out.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I used a wooden dowel rod on a BCM upper like suggested above. A couple good whacks and you're there.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Fantastic, thanks. Never thought about the heat. Glad to know it's ok to use the dowel treatment.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I use a Reaction Rod and it makes it an easy task.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lacking the "proper" tool for this, I take a screw driver with a polymer handle which fits into the upper receiver, lock the receiver in a vise, and tap it out. For some strange reason I have a screw driver with a handle that fits perfectly for this task.

I'll add, I would rather have a tight fit, than a loose one with the barrel to receiver engagement.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    What about securing the barrel in barrel blocks, in a vice. Then gently tapping the receiver with a rubber mallet?
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkeg View Post
    What about securing the barrel in barrel blocks, in a vice. Then gently tapping the receiver with a rubber mallet?
    Thats how youve actually done it?'sounds bit horse backwards in front of carriage to me, really. Too many things not right.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast