Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: removing tight fit barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Thats how youve actually done it?'sounds bit horse backwards in front of carriage to me, really. Too many things not right.
    Yes, I have done it that way. Way back before I had other means of securing the receiver. Nothing "not right about it" at all, in fact it worked fine. I'm not saying it's the best way, just "a" way.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkeg View Post
    What about securing the barrel in barrel blocks, in a vice. Then gently tapping the receiver with a rubber mallet?
    Install it vertical using a Reaction rod, wrap a shop towel around the rod and gently tap on the upper receiver with a rubber mallet at the 1913 rail and pivot and it should come right off and land on the shop towel. (preventing the upper from smacking into the vice and being damaged.)
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    You can throw the upper in your oven at 200 degrees for a bit. The aluminum will expand more than the steel making removal a bit easier.
    This, BCM uppers are undersized and I did this once and it worked great!

Feedback Score
    I use bcm uppers on my builds. Always use a hair dryer. Works EVERYTIME!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    This weekend swapped a larue barrel fron a VLTOR to a Noveske upper.
    I found cursing, long emphatic strings of vile words to be most effective.
    That and just pound the living crap out of it after heating it.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackmagic View Post
    This, BCM uppers are undersized and I did this once and it worked great!
    Did BCM mate the barrel to the upper with green loctite?
    I have heard they do but I am not sporting enough to remove on of my barrels just to find out.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    This weekend swapped a larue barrel fron a VLTOR to a Noveske upper.
    I found cursing, long emphatic strings of vile words to be most effective.
    That and just pound the living crap out of it after heating it.
    Man, that sounds like my weekend. I decided to move a BCM sling mount. I actually installed it and used blue Locktite on it. Holy cow! First I did something stupid. It was late and I wasn't paying attention and used the wrong size wrench... "wow, this thing is really tig.... crack!' broke the wrench off. Luckily it fell out.

So I get a ball end driver which again it was late and I didn't realize what I was doing.... It was also a cheap wrench from HF. Snapped that sucker off and it stuck.

So now I get the actual BCM wrench and try the other screw... "Holy cow, this one is really ti.... crack!" Broke that sucker off too. Again it fell right out.

Finally I figured if I took the short bit from a torque wrench set ( the hard gray ones ) and grabbed it with a large pair of fencing pliers it would turn the screw out. Tried heating with soldering iron to no avail prior.

So now I'm down to the stuck ball head inside the other screw. Bent the point of a punch trying to unwedge it a bit.

It's drill time!!!

I -thought- maybe I'll get lucky and the broken piece will drill or vibrate loose. Not sure why I thought I would get lucky that way.

Final result.... I have a 1/2 of a BCM sling mount as a reminder. I'm glad it was a sub $20 item. I never could get the screw all the way out. Reason finally hit me as I basically screwed up everything I touched so I got concerned about something else going wrong and drilling the rail. Luckily a tap with a wood block freed it up enough to remove.

I'm thinking those things don't need licktite. Although if you are sure you don't want it to move it sure stays put.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post

I'm thinking those things don't need licktite. Although if you are sure you don't want it to move it sure stays put.
    Purple Loctite is your friend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Did BCM mate the barrel to the upper with green loctite?
    I have heard they do but I am not sporting enough to remove on of my barrels just to find out.
    It was only a BCM upper reciever. Not an entire upper. I don't know if they use green loctite, but I doubt it would do anything since the press fit beds the barrel better than loctite would.

The heat should soften the loctite as well though if they did use it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Lacking the "proper" tool for this, I take a screw driver with a polymer handle which fits into the upper receiver, lock the receiver in a vise, and tap it out. For some strange reason I have a screw driver with a handle that fits perfectly for this task.

I'll add, I would rather have a tight fit, than a loose one with the barrel to receiver engagement.
    Hmmm. I just put together a 300 Blackout and now you have me worried. I was using a BCM upper receiver and a Noveske 14.5" barrel. I had always heard that BCM upper receivers were tight but when I installed the Noveske barrel it slid in no problem. It wasn't loose as in rattling around but it wasn't tight by any means.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast