[Dr. Nick] Hi everybody! [/Dr. Nick]

So I may be looking at a relocation to South Florida (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) area. I spent 6 years in the Orlando/Space Coast area, but South Florida is another animal for me. The wife grew up in Coral Gables, lived in Kendall for a while, and taught in Homestead for a while so she knows the area . . . I, on the other hand, hail from corn country in the Midwest and still get a little anxiety about the thought of living in Miami. I was hoping the brain trust here could give me some insight.
  • I figure the housing is bad/expensive, just how bad is it? It's creeping up here, but I'm in 3500+ sq-ft, 4/3.5 on .7 acre and that was $300k-ish. Could I even get close to anything like that with a reasonable commute/school opportunities? (Job would be in the Hialeah/Miami Lakes area, I'd like to keep the commute under an hour if possible)
  • If this opportunity wouldn't work out, how good are engineering/program manager/technical type positions in South Florida? I always looked at SFL as a service/tourism based economy that doesn't quite jive with a guy who deals in new product design and manufacturing.
  • How are the shooting facilities down there? Looking at USPSA, 2-Gun (3-gun if I have to) and maybe PRS stuff.
  • Follow-on, how are the training opportunities? Northern Alabama doesn't get much in the way of traveling instructors. I'd like to look at getting a chance for a SouthNarc/Tom Givens class without a plane ticket.
  • Any general suggestions overall for someone who would be looking to make a big move like this?

Anyone that might have some suggestions, I'd gladly accept them.