Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who makes the low end revolvers?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    North American is another one. They seem to focus on pocket revolvers chambered in 22wmr.
    Sorry, but even though NAA revolvers have a limited usefulness, they are not low end. They are actually quite well built.

Since there is a lot of talk about S&W, I'll move to say that the current production is on the wrong side of the low end boundary. The last one I purchased was in 2009 (642-1 no lock, which I have a 9mm conversion cylinder for), but the build quality has gone down hill. They don't do traditional barrels anymore, but make sleeved ones look traditional. I can deal with MIM parts, since companies can do them right, but when you are cheaping out on a barrel, I'm not fond of that. Especially when the company has such a history of well made revolvers, their current production shouldn't even have the S&W name on them.

Ruger actually is doing quite well for revolvers (with the exception of shotguns, they are doing good across the board). If I had to buy a new revolver, it probably would be a Ruger... if it was to replace my J-frame, LCR. If they actually built an LCRx in 9mm, I'd likely would have picked that up over the conversion cylinder for my 642.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't mind sleeved barrels or MIM as long as the gun functions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Smith and Wesson 442 without the stupid lock for $380: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=150544

Warning - Airweight J-frames are very difficult to shoot well, and an expert's pistol. But it's a useful second pistol.
    For an EDC this ^^^^^would be a solid choice. In my opinion there is less felt recoil with the Bodyguard 38 and it is $350. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=103038

Airweight J Frames are difficult to shoot well until you rack up some range time with them. You can get solid hits at 25 meters with practice.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-23-17 at 07:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    S&W has been making sleeved barrels on the J frame for a while now. They don't do it on all revolvers though. That being said there is some good discussion out there about the sleeve barrels and some very good points for it.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    S&W has been making sleeved barrels on the J frame for a while now. They don't do it on all revolvers though. That being said there is some good discussion out there about the sleeve barrels and some very good points for it.
    The Bodyguard 38 I carry frequently has a sleeved barrel. I just passed the 10,000 round mark and it is still ticking.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-23-17 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Instead of buying a low end revolver, I suggest finding a good used S&W Model 10 or 64. You will end up with a better gun for the same or possibly even less money...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Where I reside (North East) there always are at least 6 or more S&W Model 10,64 etc "K" frames in the $300-400 price range sitting in the used gun display cases at the gunstores I frequent. Once in a great while an "L" frame will pop up. Ruger Security and Speed Six used to come up alot in 90's now not so much. Point is, you can get a very good to excellent revolver in an excellent caliber for reasonable prices and have dough for practice ammo. Don't settle for Rossi or Taurus revolvers as even new they can suck, my two did, badly!! I had them repaired at factory and sold them promptly with full disclosure. Never mind about the EAA Windicator (wtf type of name is that?!??) purchased new when I was totally ignorant about revolvers. That thing was a train wreck within 3 rounds of factory fresh .38 special RNL fired from a full cylinder...
    Last edited by GNXII; 03-26-17 at 14:45.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
    Instead of buying a low end revolver, I suggest finding a good used S&W Model 10 or 64. You will end up with a better gun for the same or possibly even less money...
    Absolutely. Why dick around? Just get a used S&W or Ruger and be done with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Guys, the op has been banned

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Guys, the op has been banned

Yep, convicted felon and thief that ripped off several of our members here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123