Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the low end revolvers?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    I mean this in a polite way: I think you seriously misunderstand the market. The Colts on GB are out of production and are highly collectable, hence the extreme prices. Personally I would not buy one for any reason other than collectability and display. For $500 you can buy a S&W 638/642 or Ruger LCR at or just below retail at a place like Cabela's or Sportsmans Warehouse with enough cash left to get some training ammo plus 20rds of carry ammo. You could give up a box of training ammo an opt for a cheap pocket holster like Uncle Mike's and still be out the door for the $500 you stated. Colt is reintroducing a pocket revolver so you can still have a Colt for EDC; unsure of the price point but there was mention of Colt's new line up on this forum not too long ago. If you want a wheel gun for fun and/or carry, don't screw around with a low quality name. Just get the quality Ruger or S&W and be done woth it. The marginal savings on a no name is not worth the potential hassle of poor qc/customer support, etc. $500 is small change for a quality gun.
    This, and what Serious said. You can get a good revolver cheap, and there is always the used market. Not sure what type of revolver you are looking for OP, but a standard .38 service type can be found used for around $300. J&G Sales I think has S&W .38s for around that. And check your used gun stores you never know what might be there, have a Colt .38 that I picked up a few years back during the panic for $200 and change. Yes, a little 4 inch .38 Colt Police Positive for a little more than $200 in good condition with some holster wear. If someone wants to give me $4K+ for it then I'll happily part with it, but I doubt that I'd get more than $400 or so if I tried to sell it. Beyond that I'd look around for Ruger or Smith revolvers and find what you want.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The S&W Model 10 was the Glock of its time. It was the ubiquitous police handgun from like the 30s through to the mid 80s. There are a shit ton of them out there for a good price. J&G has them all the time for under 400 bucks.

I just picked up a Ruger GP100 at Cabelas a couple weeks ago for 450 bucks. Hell they had 2 Ruger Redhawk 44 magnums for 550.

Dont buy a cheap POS. I had a cheap revolver called a Wind something or other and it in no way compares to a Ruger or S&W you can get for similar prices.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Windicator? EAA!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    Not really sure what you're looking for... for example, Ruger and Colt make some fantastic revolvers. On the used market you can get either for cheap. Even new, some of them are roughly the price of a Glock or less, depending on where you look. My Ruger SP101 is the cheapest basic gun I own, and it's built like a tank.

Why are you looking low end?
    Colt Python are sold on GB for 3000$+....21/2 inches, 8", 6" all the same. very quite pricey, where in do world can you get cheap Pythons.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcarbine View Post
    Colt Python are sold on GB for 3000$+....21/2 inches, 8", 6" all the same. very quite pricey, where in do world can you get cheap Pythons.
    You can't. As been explained by Co-gnARR below. Python has been out of production since the 80s, if not earlier. They are ALL now highly collectable. Think of them as a 57 Chevy. You can't get one of those cheap and they are not made anymore.

Youre looking at classic cars while wanting to spend Hyundai Elantra money. What he's talking about is the NEW Colt Cobra

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-action-colt/

If you want a inexpensive revolver of good quality look at the S&W model 10. Good guns, millions made from 1899 to today. Used by just about every police department around the world and conceal carrier prior to semi autos becoming popular. They are the F150 of revolvers.

S&W model 442 and 642 are good basic snub nose 38spl. Cost about $350

Here you go. Model 64 snub nose. The 64 is the stainless steel version of the model 10. This one is used and has a DAO (double action only) trigger

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/623155707

Here is a model 10

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/623156542

Model 15. Like the model 10 but with adjustable sights

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/623517235

Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    I mean this in a polite way: I think you seriously misunderstand the market. The Colts on GB are out of production and are highly collectable, hence the extreme prices. Personally I would not buy one for any reason other than collectability and display. For $500 you can buy a S&W 638/642 or Ruger LCR at or just below retail at a place like Cabela's or Sportsmans Warehouse with enough cash left to get some training ammo plus 20rds of carry ammo. You could give up a box of training ammo an opt for a cheap pocket holster like Uncle Mike's and still be out the door for the $500 you stated. Colt is reintroducing a pocket revolver so you can still have a Colt for EDC; unsure of the price point but there was mention of Colt's new line up on this forum not too long ago. If you want a wheel gun for fun and/or carry, don't screw around with a low quality name. Just get the quality Ruger or S&W and be done woth it. The marginal savings on a no name is not worth the potential hassle of poor qc/customer support, etc. $500 is small change for a quality gun.

Last edited by Arik; 02-22-17 at 09:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Smith and Wesson 442 without the stupid lock for $380: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=150544

Warning - Airweight J-frames are very difficult to shoot well, and an expert's pistol. But it's a useful second pistol.
    Oh this is Very nice for $380. with a good holster, this will be a fine EDC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    You can't. As been explained by Co-gnARR below. Python has been out of production since the 80s, if not earlier. They are ALL now highly collectable. Think of them as a 57 Chevy. You can't get one of those cheap and they are not made anymore.

Youre looking at classic cars while wanting to spend Hyundai Elantra money. What he's talking about is the NEW Colt Cobra

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-action-colt/

If you want a inexpensive revolver of good quality look at the S&W model 10. Good guns, millions made from 1899 to today. Used by just about every police department around the world and conceal carrier prior to semi autos becoming popular. They are the F150 of revolvers.

S&W model 442 and 642 are good basic snub nose 38spl. Cost about $350

Here you go. Model 64 snub nose. The 64 is the stainless steel version of the model 10. This one is used and has a DAO (double action only) trigger

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/623155707

Here is a model 10

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/623156542

Model 15. Like the model 10 but with adjustable sights

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/623517235

Yeah, just getting a good read now, thanks for explaining why these pythons are so expensive...i have always wanted one but never the right time or low on cash...
    this Smith and Wesson 442 really looks good and who they be out of production some day and get sold on GB for $5000.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    The S&W Model 10 was the Glock of its time. It was the ubiquitous police handgun from like the 30s through to the mid 80s. There are a shit ton of them out there for a good price. J&G has them all the time for under 400 bucks.

I just picked up a Ruger GP100 at Cabelas a couple weeks ago for 450 bucks. Hell they had 2 Ruger Redhawk 44 magnums for 550.

Dont buy a cheap POS. I had a cheap revolver called a Wind something or other and it in no way compares to a Ruger or S&W you can get for similar prices.

ea770128__32092_zoom.jpg

EAA WINDICATOR, Not bad. looks like Rhino Chiappa.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcarbine View Post
    Yeah, just getting a good read now, thanks for explaining why these pythons are so expensive...i have always wanted one but never the right time or low on cash...
    this Smith and Wesson 442 really looks good and who they be out of production some day and get sold on GB for $5000.
    Hey, no problem. Glad my lessons learned can be shared before they get relearned by some one else ��

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Windicator? EAA!!

That's it. Id buy a used S&W model 10 over it any day of the week though.

EDIT:
    Did some searching over on another forum I have been at a long time. Back in 2006 I posted about problems I had with the Windicator. Those issues were the cylinder seizing up and cases sticking in the cylinder.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 02-23-17 at 04:23.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast