Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on appendix carry for the average CWP holder?

Feedback Score

Thoughts on appendix carry for the average CWP holder?

Love to hear all your thoughts on appendix carry for the average CWP holder. The subject comes up a lot in training with very passionate feelings on all sides.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What do you mean average CWP?

It's a mode of carry that manages to parallel the 9 vs 45 caliber debate. Like EVERYTHING it has its pros and cons. Understand them and decide for yourself whether it's appropriate.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=TAZ;2457773]What do you mean average CWP? QUOTE]

Your "Like EVERYTHING it has its pros and cons. Understand them and decide for yourself whether it's appropriate" I agree with, except (but with due respect) this logic would would render anyone asking any question on a forum redundant...

CWP ....The average Concealed Weapon Permit carrier. You know the people that only take the absolute minimum required training (if any) to get the CWP in their respective State and then carry a pistol. I would like to hear opinions on these people carrying appendix...

I know that people are biased, including me but hoped to get some enlightened and not aggressive responses from the forum members that might sway a shooter one way or another.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Standby;2457807]
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    What do you mean average CWP? QUOTE]

Your "Like EVERYTHING it has its pros and cons. Understand them and decide for yourself whether it's appropriate" I agree with, except (but with due respect) this logic would would render anyone asking any question on a forum redundant...

CWP ....The average Concealed Weapon Permit carrier. You know the people that only take the absolute minimum required training (if any) to get the CWP in their respective State and then carry a pistol. I would like to hear opinions on these people carrying appendix...

I know that people are biased, including me but hoped to get some enlightened and not aggressive responses from the forum members that might sway a shooter one way or another.
    Then they are a poor choice to CCW a gun in any configuration in my view. There's a minimal amount of training people should have if they plan to carry a gun.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=WillBrink;2457849]
    Quote Originally Posted by Standby View Post

Then they are a poor choice to CCW a gun in any configuration in my view. There's a minimal amount of training people should have if they plan to carry a gun.
    This. Goes along with "know and understand" merits of Aiwb and other.

I aiwb carry. I don't even suggest it to others unless I know them... really know them truly think they would not have an issue.

On the other hand, my bro is very safe with guns, but is airheady, and it jeebs him out to think about aiwb. So he doesnt.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-21-17 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Given what I see at the range, I think the "average CWP holder" probably isn't safe with a run-of-the-mill OWB holster, never mind AIWB.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Given what I see at the range, I think the "average CWP holder" probably isn't safe with a run-of-the-mill OWB holster, never mind AIWB.
    When/if things go bad with a AIWB they really go bad...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Personally, I just don't find this method very comfortable. My 2 cents.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A couple of issues....

1). The safety issue doesn't bother me personally, as I am an acknowledged safety freak. Hell - there are folks I don't feel comfortable around regardless of how or what they carry. I feel I am safe doing AIWB - which when I do, I use a zack trigger guard holster. It is NEVER as comfortable as owb - but as Cooper used to say - "you carry a pistol to be comforted, not to be comfortable." Work-arounds exist for prolonged car driving, not so much for prolonged sitting in a NPE - at least for my body morphology.

2). As just referenced - aiwb IS very much a function of your personal biometrics.

3). It IS a better position than 3-5 o'clock owb if you get knocked to the ground.

4). My number one reason for not liking ANY aiwb holster is retention - or more correctly, lack thereof!
    As someone with 25 years of martial arts practice, I know that I may need to go hands-on before transitioning to a knife or gun. I want the gun to BE THERE - so I want it LOCKED IN until I draw. I have been VERY happy with Safariland ALS/GLS owb holsters for the last several years. Yes - I am very fortunate in that I wear my shirts out at work and most other times - so owb works for me. On rare occasions, aiwb is used - though I don' t prefer it. YMMV

john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    Jmore, check out the raven vanguard2 if you have a glock or m&p. It has very good retention for being passive. Very positive.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast