Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thoughts on appendix carry for the average CWP holder?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It's not that easy in real life. Then you are off balance and even more physically vulnerable. Could you win a ground fight if you took someone down with you? Could you break off?

But, I said my piece.

The OP was CCW for average people and honestly if one hasn't considered that you aren't allowed to be "average", then CCW toting may not be for some people.

Trained men get murdered with gun in hand. That should be sobering. A lot of the big names not only discourage Appendix, they also suggest condition 3.

If you get to a point where you have to deploy your weapon then someone thinks you are worth trying or they are simply desperate enough to where fleeing is not an option for them.

I think a lot of the brass tacks are being glossed over but not my problem.

Have fun
    I did not mean that as “that’s all there is to it”, and looking at it now, I shouldn’t have even posted that.

I aiwb carry daily. I have for years. I practice daily. Retention is easier for me in Aiwb. That said it is risky, and I don’t advise it except for the truly dedicated. And yes, fitness is important, I’d argue more important than having a gun, what type, or how you carry, but I suppose it’s outside the scope of this thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I did not mean that as “that’s all there is to it”, and looking at it now, I shouldn’t have even posted that.

I aiwb carry daily. I have for years. I practice daily. Retention is easier for me in Aiwb. That said it is risky, and I don’t advise it except for the truly dedicated. And yes, fitness is important, I’d argue more important than having a gun, what type, or how you carry, but I suppose it’s outside the scope of this thread.
    Well, I see where you are coming from. It's all good. I didn't mean for my tone to be aggro or anything. And I wasn't totally dismissing AIWB. I do think we agree it requires perfect practice (like anything) and that it may not be optimal for everyone.

The meat is practice, technique, and capability which I won't belabor.

It's all good

Feedback Score

Thoughts on appendix carry for the average CWP holder?

Form of carry varies from person to person. I personally find 4 o clock carry extremely uncomfortable. However Appendix I can wear 10+ hrs a day without any issue. Hell sometimes I’ll even carry my 17 with a light Appendix. I also prefer the fact that I will most likely never print or expose my firearm carrying Appendix like I already have carrying at 4. Proper training can alleviate any “safety” issues you see with carrying Appendix, however taking extra steps like keeping medical nearby is always nice. But any competent CCWer should have medical because if you can make holes, you need to know how to fix them. Each has their benefits.

But for the typical guy who got his permit just because. No dice. I would never recommend it to anyone I didn’t know well. I honestly wouldn’t even want that guy on my side because 1. He probably carries a taurus curve, ruger LCP/9 or some idiotically small sub compact with 6 rounds in it with a sticky holster.

Also. Carrying Appendix in a vehicle is a plus. Not having to remove your firearm to drive and still have full control/access to it Incase SHTF is paramount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zecropper; 10-29-17 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Stupid people gonna stupid. People have been adding orifices to themselves and others ever since gunpowder was invented. This holster design did not suddenly cause people to eff up when exhibiting poor gun handling skills.

There are pros and cons for everything. Seek quality instruction, use quality gear, and get many, many perfect presentations using a blue gun. If using a Glock (which I do) buy one of Tom Jones' Gadgets. Then carry AIWB if you still choose to.

I run a Keepers Concealment AIWB holster with no issues, with a Glock 17 equipped with a Gadget. Just like any other system, it's a combination of parts that is refined and practiced with. Perform a thousand perfect presentations to gain what John Hearne calls "automaticity".

I don't want to think about the drawstroke, trigger press, or anything else. I want to focus on decision making. AIWB allows me to do this seated in a car, in a movie theater, or in other confined environments.

Your mileage may vary, because you are different.
    AIWB + ankle rig = Ninja
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some personal observations I've made over the last year:

Pros:
    I find it faster and easier to draw and reholster from AIWB, especially from an untucked shirt. It's a smooth and natural movement for me.
    AIWB is the only way I can effectively conceal firearms larger than a G19 on my frame.

Cons:
    I find sitting and bending while carrying AIWB to require conscious, awkward movements. I feel stiff and inflexible.
    I find running while carrying AIWB to be significantly more irritating than 3 o'clock carry.
    I find that very few belts work well carrying AIWB. You really need a thin yet sturdy, flat-buckled, pre-adjusted belt for the belt itself to not interfere with your holster loops.
    I have not found any good tuckable AIWB holsters, and even if I did, a cobra-buckled belt would not be a very low-vis option for the types of environments I am typically in.
    I find sitting while carrying AIWB to be uncomfortable for long periods of time, but my gut contributes to that significantly. If I was fit/slim, I don't think sitting for prolonged periods would be much of an issue.

Note that I'm kind of short and fat at 5'8" and ~190lb currently so YMMV. Also, I sit behind a desk in an office setting for work so comfort, concealability and having tuckable options are significant factors to me. I am also in and out of vehicles frequently in a professional setting where any indication that I'm carrying would be no bueno.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I've carried a gun for a living since I've been 18, starting with an M-60 supplied by the University of Science, Music and Culture (USMC), followed by a four decade stint in policing, where I carried two guns the majority of my career.

After spending a small fortune on the latest/greatest holster/method, I finally discovered that there is no comfortable way to carry a concealed weapon, so I've always looked for the LEAST UNCOMFORTABLE way.

I've carried a "J" frame S&W continuously since 1969, starting with a bobbed hammer Model 60 with the grip wrapped in rubber bands, tucked in my waist band. While in uniform, to back-up my service weapon, I carried a "J" frame in an ankle holster, and wore many out over the years. The only problem I ever experienced with that carry method was when I lost my gun in a night time foot pursuit that covered a long distance. After more than an hour of retracing my steps, luckily my partner stepped on and found it.

Old habits die hard. To this day, I still carry a 642 in either a Renegade or Mitch Rosen ankle holster when I can't pocket carry. This method of carry is normally used when I wear dress trousers or jeans.

Even though retired, I still predominately wear cargo type 5.11 tactical trousers or 5.11 shorts in the summer, not only for comfort, but for all the pocket space they provide for extra ammo, knife, flashlight, credentials, et al. When wearing same, I always carry a 642 in a square bottom Mika pocket holster in the large, slanted right rear pocket. It is easily accessible, doesn't print and is the least uncomfortable carry method I have ever found.

A couple of years ago I acquired a "Sticky" holster, and occasionally appendix carry a Glock Model 43 in it. I've found this also to be one of the least uncomfortable carry methods which allows very quick access to the firearm. Upon observing this method, one of my shooting buddies told me that I was putting my "junk" at risk and should seriously reconsider. I promptly replied that there was zero risk, since it is impossible to kill what is already dead!

There your have it, what has worked for me in 50 years of gun toting. Just remember if you use any of the aforementioned methods/advice, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, be careful with appendix carry, especially if your junk is still 10-8.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    AIWB + ankle rig = Ninja
    Agreed, ONLY if you are coming out of both simultaneously...
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    AIWB + ankle rig = Ninja
    Not at all. I am a harmless old grandpa who would never harm a fly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Agreed, ONLY if you are coming out of both simultaneously...
    Hmm, suddenly that flying side kick makes sense.
    The trick, of course, is to be able to do that without shooting yourself.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm married, so whatever I could shoot off by carrying AIWB, is already in my wife's purse, so...

Seriously, though. I base my carry method on the majority of my planned activities. If I plan on being mainly seating, I carry at the 7:00-8:00 (southpaw). If I'm going to be mostly standing or walking, I carry appendix.

As far as the "average" carrier, I'd have to echo some of what's already been said. If they're not willing to put the practice in, they shouldn't be carrying in the first place. Just because they're legal, doesn't mean it's a good idea. How many people have you seen on the road about whom you also wonder how they ever passed a driving test?
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456