Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on appendix carry for the average CWP holder?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Standby;2457807]
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    What do you mean average CWP? QUOTE]

Your "Like EVERYTHING it has its pros and cons. Understand them and decide for yourself whether it's appropriate" I agree with, except (but with due respect) this logic would would render anyone asking any question on a forum redundant...

CWP ....The average Concealed Weapon Permit carrier. You know the people that only take the absolute minimum required training (if any) to get the CWP in their respective State and then carry a pistol. I would like to hear opinions on these people carrying appendix...

I know that people are biased, including me but hoped to get some enlightened and not aggressive responses from the forum members that might sway a shooter one way or another.
    Apologies for coming across as aggressive. Was definitely not my intent. Average has different meaning for folks so I wanted some more background.

If by average you mean the kind of guy who buys a gun, takes the mandatory class then goes to the range only after some crazy news report of a tragedy; then AIWB is most likely going to be a problem. A serious life threatening problem. If you have an ND with a gun pointed towards your junk the BEST thing you can hope for is damage to your junk. An inch either way and your ass is toast. So I would not recommend AIWB for that kind of shooter.

If you're more experienced, not necessarily lots of classes kind of experience, but disciplined in safe gun handling. Train relatively regularly and are willing to put in the work to insure you have a safe draw stroke and holstering technique UNDER STRESS (timer..) then AIWB may be for you.

I like it cause for me, it conceals very well. I have a broader range of motion aka I can bend/stretch and not print. It offers much better access to the gun in more positions. Seated, laying down.. I can access without having to really expose my elbow. Retention is also easier as you're elbow isnt sticking out there like a pretty lever. Going fetal also protects the gun while giving you access to it.

Negatives are the whole punch a hole in your femoral or deflate a testicle. If you're in a job where you have to go hands on with folks routinely it places the gun between you and your wrestling opponent. Not aware of anyone making a true retention holster for this mode. It's also very body shape dependent. You can go from comfy like a pig in shit to printing or poking with some weight gain/loss or simply buying a differently cut pants.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=TAZ;2458895]
    Quote Originally Posted by Standby View Post

Apologies for coming across as aggressive. Was definitely not my intent. Average has different meaning for folks so I wanted some more background.

If by average you mean the kind of guy who buys a gun, takes the mandatory class then goes to the range only after some crazy news report of a tragedy; then AIWB is most likely going to be a problem. A serious life threatening problem. If you have an ND with a gun pointed towards your junk the BEST thing you can hope for is damage to your junk. An inch either way and your ass is toast. So I would not recommend AIWB for that kind of shooter.

If you're more experienced, not necessarily lots of classes kind of experience, but disciplined in safe gun handling. Train relatively regularly and are willing to put in the work to insure you have a safe draw stroke and holstering technique UNDER STRESS (timer..) then AIWB may be for you.

I like it cause for me, it conceals very well. I have a broader range of motion aka I can bend/stretch and not print. It offers much better access to the gun in more positions. Seated, laying down.. I can access without having to really expose my elbow. Retention is also easier as you're elbow isnt sticking out there like a pretty lever. Going fetal also protects the gun while giving you access to it.

Negatives are the whole punch a hole in your femoral or deflate a testicle. If you're in a job where you have to go hands on with folks routinely it places the gun between you and your wrestling opponent. Not aware of anyone making a true retention holster for this mode. It's also very body shape dependent. You can go from comfy like a pig in shit to printing or poking with some weight gain/loss or simply buying a differently cut pants.
    Great response Sir! Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Interesting.

I grew up hunting. It was common to carry a pistol in addition to a rifle depending on game and area. Hiking and camping in HS and college I almost always had a GP 100 with me.

But shooting deer and basic pistol practice as a kid with my uncles was pretty much my gun experience. Muzzle and trigger awareness and basic gun safety is (or should be) drilled into the head of every 12 year old getting a hunting license. Putting down a white tail, Muley or Elk orients you to what a gun can do.

Went off to college and kept hunting, time permitting. Got married in 2003 and it was time to carry for self defense/ protect my new wife reasons.

So I wanted a semi auto and I sat down and had a look at carry options. AIWB made sense. I started martial arts at 8 years old. Karate, Kenpo, Boxing, Kick boxing, Judo, HS wrestling and so on. So, center-line carry made sense.

I'd clinched enough, thrown enough guys, dirty boxing etc that I knew most of my buddies who carried would never get to the weapon in time if I was in clinch range, especially OWB at 4-5 o'clock. I knew how hard it would be to draw from that position while sitting in a vehicle, pressed up against a wall, or on ones back, especially if mounted or with someone in your guard, when carrying 4-5.

If someone has made me, they can't go for my gun without me seeing it and with out entering my "hands on space" if carrying AIWB. Not so from behind with 4-5 carry.

All those things made sense to me as a reason for center-line (AIWB) carry.

Add to that that it's more concealable, and I can self assess if my shirt is caught on the gun, if I'm printing etc and it simply seemed like a no-brainer.

Despite, at that time, having no formal training, no classes etc, it did occur to me that the bbl was pointed at my junk or femoral artery. So, I made it my business to understand the safety mechanisms of the pistols I was considering buying.

Upon determining that they were safe, and redundant, and that the gun wasn't going to go off unless the trigger did it, I bought an appendix holster and a gun.

My finger didn't touch the trigger on draw until the gun was pointed in a safe (for me) direction, and I re-holstered slowly, deliberately and with an extra check to be sure I nothing was caught in the holster or trigger guard (clothes, zipper, draw strings etc) and felt totally safe.

I've only ever carried AIWB. I mean on rare occasion I carry my wife's PM9 in her crossbreed holster, but that's it. Roughly 14 years of AIWB carry, with a whole lot of that happening prior to any classes, prior to discovering sites like this and learning....

... just old fashioned gun safety rules and common sense. I guess anyone considering AIWB needs to ask themselves, do I understand basic gun safety rules, am I mindful and do I have some common sense?
    Last edited by Cazwell; 02-28-17 at 19:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I carry IWB, but not forward of 3 o'clock. I don't AIWB, I've built my gear around other methods. I do occasionally pocket carry.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like awib quite a bit, but I have my own restrictions, my own requirements of the weapon I will carry.
    No unguarded triggers, for me that means no long travel SA triggers like a Glock.
    A long barrel rests right on something I still need so it must have a short barrel.
    A ridged holster is required.

My conclusion is a DA revolver with a max 3" barrel makes me feel comfortable in all ways. I drive for a well known taxi alternative and my plan is to una$$ from my car ASAP if the bad guy will let me go, if not, out comes the pistol. I carry my valuables on my person, my door key is with me and so is my wallet. The bad guy can have my car and my cheap A$$ phone.

Feedback Score
    For the "average"carrier, no.

The average carrier doesn't get much training, doesn't buy expensive, quality holsters, doesn't buy expensive guns, doesn't shoot much and doesn't dress around guns.

Best thing for that person is a DA only revolver or small auto in a pocket. And even then it's hard pressed to get them not to put anything else in that pocket except a pocket holster.

I wish I had a $ for every person with a .32 or .380 in their pocket who also owns one magazine (in the gun) and 1 (one) partial box of 50 fmj rounds OR 20 jhp rounds.

(Ps: the gun is only lubricated with cotton lint)
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-02-17 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    I have carried aiwb since the beginning. I just always felt my shirt was getting hung up on it or it was causing too much of a bulge anywhere else. No it is not comfortable at times but I've learned to deal with it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    AIWB like 3 or 4 o'clock carry works for people that train using that style of carry.

I have no issues with either Condition 0, 1, or 3 carry, that's a personal decision, like the choice of gun, caliber, carry.

I will however say that IMHO the Raven Vanguard2 trigger-guard holsters are TERRIBLE if carried in Condition 0/1.

That is the only caveat I give with AIWB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post

I will however say that IMHO the Raven Vanguard2 trigger-guard holsters are TERRIBLE if carried in Condition 0/1.
    Please explain

Feedback Score
    I started carrying AIWB. Bersa .380, Revolvers, Makarov. Even a Glock 27 eventually.

But I wasn't comfortable with that (lighter trigger) and when I went to larger Glock I switched to IWB 4 o clock.

Fast forward 10 years and now that I spend a lot of time driving 4 o clock wasn't comfortable anymore. I started carrying a revolver more, (and Cheetah) then tried the .45 Sheild. I like it alot and thought it would be comfortable enough 4 o clock while driving but it isnt.

I'm not and don't recommend carrying anything with a short or light trigger AIWB.

So I'm back the Beretta Cheetah I've been carrying for about a year. I really like it.
    Last edited by Ron3; 06-24-17 at 07:29.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast