Thread: Regaining hand strength (diet, exercise)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Regaining hand strength (diet, exercise)

Greetings all again in Health and Fitness. As some of you know, I have been an unlucky duck the last two years almost. Like FUBAR here and there.

I need to regain strength in a hand that was injured. Apparently there was bone breakage at the joint. I didnt think it would be so bad. My muscles have atrophied and my joint is stiff.

I have Therapy Dough and stretches, but is there any other advice for getting hand strength? I don't do supplements, but would more protein help? While not lactose intolerant, I don't like milk but will drink it. No sodas since mech. of injury.

I know you can get strength from holding plates but I cannot retain a plate in my hand. Menial tasks are doable but I literally have no strength in affected hand and it buckles from weakness if I try to use it/manipulate something with it.

Very frustrating as I can charge a slide but don't feel I could shoot two handed.

I realize this is not going to happen overnight but we have guys here who lift religiously and are better versed in nutrition.

Really I just want normalcy and comfort again.

Thanks for any advice. I am willing to do anything to regain strength without hurting myself(....again)
    Wake the f*ck up, Samurai

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Want to borrow one of these, and give it a try?

https://www.amazon.com/DynaFlex-Dock...H6D2QG79MXCT77

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Want to borrow one of these, and give it a try?

https://www.amazon.com/DynaFlex-Dock...H6D2QG79MXCT77
    How does it work? I can't torque my wrist. So far I have to do stretches, therapy dough, and have a weight limit. If it is like those hand cruncher things (like you squeeze on), I was told not to do that yet.

Thanks though but like does it do range of motion like up and down?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I broke both wrists a few years ago. The gyro ball doodad was helpful even without flexing the wrist. I could hold it while it ran, and help build up some of the muscle tone.

Later, after the PT cleared me for it, I could do the stuff that required a range of motion.

You are welcome to borrow it for free. If it does not work for you, mail it back.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Physical therapy. Passive range of motion if you don't have strength to clench/unclench, active ROM if you do...working with therapy dough. The gyro ball is great advice, but would be more important for wrist strength. You need active ROM of the palm and fingers worse.

Eat normally. Nutrition won't help you heal any faster.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SS, can I get back to you after I talk to the PT person again? I may take you up on that.

Clenching makes my fist wobble and outward bending of my hand is very difficult.

The dough has been kicking my butt for a week or so now and I feel like I am going nowhere.

I hate to broadcast my little issues but it seems like everything is going to hell on me all at once out of nowhere for some reason.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    PT is probably going to be your best bet. I don't think eating differently or weights are going to help too much. You have to start small. I know how frustrating PT can be. I've had brachial neuropathy in both of my arms in the past, which essentially kept me from being able to lift them or do any kind of motion at the shoulder. PT sucked, but it made all the difference. Do you have any nerve damage? Nerves heal VERY slowly, assuming they aren't severed.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    SS, can I get back to you after I talk to the PT person again? I may take you up on that.

No worries, just let me know.

Feedback Score
    try just holding stuff. heavier the better. stop before pain. you can hang from a bar.

this will improve your overall fitness as well. great "core" exercise. walk with weight for a workout.