Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selecting competition pistol

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Selecting competition pistol

Currently I am in the market for a competition pistol.

I have been using my HK VP9 which is a great gun but want to get a pistol dedicated to competition.

I will be shooting local IDPA and 3 gun matches with it. I prefer to keep the caliber 9mm, I am not interested in .40.

After reading through bunches of rule books, it looks like I can use either of the models I am looking at: Glock 34 or an STI DVC Limited.

I realize these are hugely on opposite ends of the price scale. If I go with the G34, I am looking at going with Taran Tactical to get all the modifications up front rather than start with a base and part it together. I could also get a standard 34 and add arts that I would like to change, Glock upgrades with the exception of milling slides and cutting barrels are not out of my realm of ability.

For the STI, I like the idea of getting a gun that I can easily grow into and don't have to go through several guns to get a highly competitive pistol.

Any suggestions for those of you who may have gone down this path already? I appreciate any helpful guidance and input.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A buddy of mine has a STI DVC 3gun, very similar to the Limited, a totally nice piece for comp. I haven't kept up with IDPA, so make sure if you get the STI it fits in the box. Mags, even with Taran extensions are less expensive with Glock. If spending $3200 (gun plus 2 more mags) isn't a problem, the STI is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    i use a Wilson Combat for competitive shooting but now i seeing STI DVC 3gun and checking its review i certainly want one, WOW.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yeah, for the STI, I was looking at the DVC 3gun and the DVC Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarbine View Post
    i use a Wilson Combat for competitive shooting but now i seeing STI DVC 3gun and checking its review i certainly want one, WOW.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcarbine View Post
    Yeah, after handling and shooting a little the DVC 3gun, it's a very nice pistol.

Feedback Score
    Let's say the Glock 34 and the STI went out drinking and then had sex resulting in an off spring.

You would have a CZ P09 baby. The P09 is the best out of the box pistol I have ever owned and the single action on it beats the single action on my custom Hi Powers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The 34 gives you the option to start in SSP with the base gun and light mods, then move to ESP when you add beyond a certain point. Going with the 34 also frees up money for reloading equipment and components, which you will need. I started with a 34 and it took me a long way. The STI is killer, but also a bit more finicky in the beginning. You can always sell the 34 later to fund the STI. I always recommend making a switch rigjt after the last match of the season. Changing gear mid season is a great way to not meet your goals.

FWIW, sights, 25 cent trigger job and grit tape are all you really need to make it into the winner's circle. Well, that, match management and a buttload of disciplined practice.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thank you, I will take a look at the CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Let's say the Glock 34 and the STI went out drinking and then had sex resulting in an off spring.

You would have a CZ P09 baby. The P09 is the best out of the box pistol I have ever owned and the single action on it beats the single action on my custom Hi Powers.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I appreciate the reply and input.

As much as I like the idea of the STI, I can get 2 Glock 34s set them up the same and still have money left over when compared to the STI.

Fortunately I am set up for reloading already and have been doing so for a while finding good 9mm loads. The reloading equipment was a wedding present from my folks. Fortunately the wife likes to shoot and wants to get into comp also, which is another reason the G34 (x2) makes more sense.

I have yet to hear any compelling reason to go with the STI over the G34 for a starting point. Plus I would think a Glock would be easier to resell than an STI.

Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    The 34 gives you the option to start in SSP with the base gun and light mods, then move to ESP when you add beyond a certain point. Going with the 34 also frees up money for reloading equipment and components, which you will need. I started with a 34 and it took me a long way. The STI is killer, but also a bit more finicky in the beginning. You can always sell the 34 later to fund the STI. I always recommend making a switch rigjt after the last match of the season. Changing gear mid season is a great way to not meet your goals.

FWIW, sights, 25 cent trigger job and grit tape are all you really need to make it into the winner's circle. Well, that, match management and a buttload of disciplined practice.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    One option I hadn't really thought much about is just keeping my HK VP9 and running the snot out of it. There are a good amount of competition/match parts available for the VP9 now it seems.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast