Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selecting competition pistol

Feedback Score
    i have seen the Colt USMC in action in a competition, it was impressive.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been contemplating the same questions you are about a competition pistol -- let me share where I came out in my thinking in an effort to help you with yours. I also have a VP9 that really fits my hand and I shoot well. I have a G19 and I shoot it ok, but not as well or as fast as the VP9. I have played with friends G34 and I feel the same way about it that I do my G19 -- its ok, but not faster or more accurate for me to shoot than the VP9.

while its always fun to buy new toys, I chose to spend the first year of competition shooting my VP9 and lean about the different competition formats and see what I really enjoy after a completing a few matches. I figure that I will be learning so much in the "match awareness" and "competition pressure" areas that it will likely be helpful to have a comfortable, familiar gun to shoot in the first year. Over the year I am going to look at what others are shooting and develop a view of what I want long term. My sense is six months in I will have a good view of the types of competitions I want to participate in going forward and a good view about where my performance is and what I need to improve my scores. Hope this helps -- good luck

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have both guns and they are both great for what they are. Like has been previously mentioned, the DVC Limited would be out for IDPA. I started with IDPA, but then transitioned to mostly USPSA. Personally I prefer USPSA to IDPA by a long shot. I bought the DVC Limited to run in USPSA Limited class and it is awesome for it and one of the sweetest shooting guns I have ever owned. If you want to stick with IDPA, the Glock 34 would be the one to go with(out of the ones you mentioned anyway). It is a Glock so you know it is going to run and eat whatever ammo you feed it. Relatively cheap with tons of aftermarket support for it. You can shoot it completely stock in IDPA SSP, USPSA Production, and even works well for 3-Gun. As you get into it more, you could upgrade it with parts to run in USPSA Limited, or even Open classes, depending on how much you wanna do.

The DVC Limited is perfect for USPSA Limited(designed for it). You could also probably run it in 3-Gun or spend the $$ to upgrade and run in USPSA Open. The cost is much higher and even the mags set up right will probably run you ~$75-100 each by the time you add extended base pad, follower, and appropriate spring to work with the base pad. Also mine(.40SW) needs ammo loaded with a longer overall length than you can find in most factory/commercial loaded ammo. For that reason, reloading your own is almost necessary unless you want to spend a lot on specialty ammo.

Both awesome guns, but the G34 sounds like it would give you more options and fit with what you want to use it for.

Feedback Score
    I realize I am a little late to the conversation, but I run a Glock 17 for both IDPA and 3 gun. Mine is setup with a 3.5lb ghost connector and polish job, Ameriglo Pro Idot sights, and extended slide tealse.

I run standard glock 17rd mags for IDPA with only 10 rounds.

For 3 gun, I run the same setup but run 21rd magpul mags. I will be adding a magwell that I can easily remove in the future.

One gun, for all my competition needs. If you want the slightly longer radius of the 34, go for it, but I find it totally unnecessary.

The VP9 will serve you well for a long time, and there is a company making extended mag based for the VP now. I really wanted one, best factory trigger I have shot, but the limited availability of parts and mag prices steered me to the 17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My opinion, worth all you paid for it, is stick with the VP9. By all accounts an accurate and capable pistol. Upon investigation I think you will find IDPA and USPSA production to have more limiting rules compared to 3 gun. If you think the VP9 to be slowing you down, and it could, consider adding to your equipment choices. Observe and ask questions of the better shooters in the discipline you want to shoot. What are they using and why? It may help or steer you in the right direction.
    All the best.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post

With that said, I am interested to hear more on great pistols for IDPA and 3-gun.
    I started out in IDPA with a Gen 3 G19 and then moved to the Gen 3 G34 that I've been using for a couple of years in IDPA and USPSA. Aside from grip tape, sights, and grip plug, it's stock. There are plenty of people that shoot at a very high level with either stock or lightly modified Glocks so personally, I don't see a need to go crazy with a high-dollar rig for gaming. As was said earlier, use the money saved for ammo or reloading components and just work on the fundamentals.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I use a tso for limited. Fast, accurate and reliable.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd stick with what you have until you out grow it unless you are looking for an excuse to buy a new gun.

Additionally, I think STI now sells the "marauder" which is built for 3 gun and other games with the performance of the DVC at a lower price without the cosmetic elements....kind of like an updated Eagle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123