Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Military-Style’ Firearms Aren’t Protected By Second Amendment, Court Rules

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

‘Military-Style’ Firearms Aren’t Protected By Second Amendment, Court Rules

ARs should be covered by

1. United States v. Miller -
    "...notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense."

The AR meets this requirement. But not a true SCOTUS decision as the case never reached a full conclusion as Miller wasn't able to see the fight over the NFA through, so Miller is iffy.

2. District of Columbia v. Heller -
    "United States v. Miller, 307 U. S. 174 , does not limit the right to keep and bear arms to militia purposes, but rather limits the type of weapon to which the right applies to those used by the militia, i.e., those in common use for lawful purposes"

ARs are in common use and the best selling rifle in the USA, so there's that. There are millions in private hands.

"After a lengthy historical discussion, the Court ultimately concluded that the second amendment "guarantee[s] the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation" (id. at 592); that "central to" this right is "the inherent right of self-defense"(id. at 628); that "the home" is "where the need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute" (id. at 628); and that, "above all other interests," the second amendment elevates "the right of law-abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home" (id. at 635). "

ARs are also ideal home defense weapons, based on the decision given in Heller why aren't ARs considered HD weapons? If someone breaks into my house I'd rather my BCM over my Glock.

And then there that pesky Second Amendment that shouldn't need a explanation or an argument to cover ARs.

Free men don't need permission.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 02-22-17 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    Maybe the practice of tarring and feathering should be reinstated. These idiot "judges" have no business hearing any case. Clearly they have no comprehension of the English language.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The lower circuit courts are packed with progressive activist judges who legislate from the bench, "Hope & Change" remember.

Trump needs to clean up the federal courts among other things.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    The lower circuit courts are packed with progressive activist judges who legislate from the bench, "Hope & Change" remember.

Trump needs to clean up the federal courts among other things.
    Federal court judges are lifetime appointments. How do you suppose they be cleaned up?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    It's not false if that's what you believe. That's the problem with "Ruling from the bench". Judges make it personal not Constitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    That directly contradicts the reasoning behind the SCOTUS affirmed NFA Act. The very language of this stupidity implies that the 2nd Amendment doesn't extend beyond the home, which is also patently false. It's like these judges didn't graduate high school civics, much less law school.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Why are we trying to come up with legalities and reasonable arguments to counter a ruling that is purely emotional and political?

Screw that judge. He made his decision. Now let him enforce it.

I'll be waiting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    It's not false if that's what you believe. That's the problem with "Ruling from the bench". Judges make it personal not Constitutional.
    It is very common in this day and age where the rule of law, and Constitutional rule of law doesn't matter. Look at what Chief Justice Roberts did with the Obamacare ruling. Totally un-Constitutional, and he made it personal instead of law abiding. Supposedly he was a conservative leaning Constitutionalist.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Unfortunately it's already being enforced in Maryland.

If we had actual, intelligent, unbiased adults we wouldn't have these problems.

Too many people allow their feelings to get in the way of sound judgement based off of what is already written guaranteeing us our inalienable rights.

No one has to agree with anyone/anything. What they/we have to do is understand that our rights and the limitations of our government are already spelled out. It is the courts duty to uphold those rights as they are written, not to rewrite them in their perspective.

I'm not a scholar or philosopher however I always thought this quote is what it's all about...

Voltaire said: I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dist. Expert 26 View Post
    Why are we trying to come up with legalities and reasonable arguments to counter a ruling that is purely emotional and political?

Screw that judge. He made his decision. Now let him enforce it.

I'll be waiting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Federal court judges are lifetime appointments. How do you suppose they be cleaned up?
    I assume you can impeach them.

What is the exact law at issue?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Impeachment by the House of Representatives. They can be removed if they are convicted by a Senate trial.

Articles I and II I believe spells out what they can be impeached for.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast