Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Popularity of the 12.5" carbine-gas SBR?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    So this thread has me wanting to build a 12.5". Damn....
    Do it! I have taken mine out once but I quickly see why people say if they had to have one AR, 12.5 would be it. Super handy but can reach out there. Awesome combo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Do it! I have taken mine out once but I quickly see why people say if they had to have one AR, 12.5 would be it. Super handy but can reach out there. Awesome combo.
    Clear your inbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OIF Vet | 0331

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    So this thread has me wanting to build a 12.5". Damn....
    I think I have settled on doing both 11.5" and 12.5" might sell the upper I like less.

I have both Hodge rails already and two Hodge uppers, which I have to say are freaking perfection! How does he do it? What is the reject rate? Remember the video Chen posted back in his epic butt hurt inducing thread of Hodge Defense being the best carbine money can buy? He has the AU Mod 1 rifle in a mag block and smoothly pulls the rear take down pin out of lock but the upper doesn't fall in a pivot forward, then with minimal effort he pushes the upper down and it pivots. Well that is the way both Hodge Defense stripped uppers fit on my registered SBR lowers. Not critical but that makes your day right there.

Still I feel like it is splitting hairs, an 11.5" can lob bullets and "reach on out there" too, right? Just put a LPV on it and tell yourself it is good-to-go; you know "perception is reality"...

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post

Still I feel like it is splitting hairs, an 11.5" can lob bullets and "reach on out there" too, right? Just put a LPV on it and tell yourself it is good-to-go; you know "perception is reality"...
    It kind of is, in all reality. I've shot steel 500+ with an 11.5 and LPV and it still makes hits. Does it still get there... sure. Would I want to be on the other end even at that distance. No way. These aren't meant for that distance of shooting, but both will get there if you had to.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-28-17 at 08:23.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Does Centurion have any plans to release a medium profile 12.5"? I do not see any 12.5 version on the website, and only the lightweight version for sale. Contact info on the site is not working for me as of today.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    I haven't heard of any plans for other profiles and last I asked there was no eta for more 12.5 barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

I'm a fan of the 12.5". Middle is a 12.5" 556 MCX, bottom is a 12.5" Colt/DD/Noveske/KAC/AAC bastard child. Going to throw a Mark 6 1-6x on the bottom rifle as well as my jack of all trades carbine.
    Last edited by NickB; 08-15-17 at 18:38.
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    one very good reason to go to the 12.5 over the 11.5 is a 40% increase in dwell time IIRC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juliet9 View Post
    one very good reason to go to the 12.5 over the 11.5 is a 40% increase in dwell time IIRC.
    40% is the increase from 10.5" to 11.5" per Paul from BCM. Not sure that same number applies 11.5 to 12.5.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    40% is the increase from 10.5" to 11.5" per Paul from BCM. Not sure that same number applies 11.5 to 12.5.
    When I first started building SPR's I built only 11.5 and 12.5 based on the BCM dwell time story. Then after having both, and understanding MK18 running 10.3 , and it wouldn't be mk18 if it didn't run, decided I wanted one. I have a few 10.3/5 guns that never malfunction, so far...

I think we all run the full spectrum making one or another our new favorite because......you fill in the blank. Obviously the key is to get them running great with and sometimes without a can. And life is good. The journey is the pleasure.

Somebody asked about mini cans on 12.5, they will not be hearing safe. But I always thought a hell of a lot better than no can. A 14.5 is still pretty loud but I run 14.5's with minis and like it. Just run them outdoors.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast