Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Popularity of the 12.5" carbine-gas SBR?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I just picked up a Noveske 12.5 midlength barrel. I have a 10.5 upper with an Aimpoint and wanted to try the 12.5 with a 1-6 for a bit more distance. I'm curious about midlength with this barrel length and running it with my A5H3 kitted lower.
    I am too. Curious about the 12.5 mid myself. I haven't heard much but i also haven't tally been looking either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I am too. Curious about the 12.5 mid myself. I haven't heard much but i also haven't tally been looking either.

With the Centurion C4 carbine gas 12.5 barrel available, with the .065 port, my search stopped beyond that, on 12.5 barrels. Unless you are going for a 100% suppressed build. Mine actually pins out at just under that port size.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    12.5" Hodge barrels will also be trickling out; I've been told the first batch will be released before the end of the month. I'm fairly certain that it'll be a better profile than the Centurion Arms gov't profile ("slight taper type profile. Maintaining the same weight of a Gov profile, just moving a little more mass rearward...not much though", as Jim himself says); not sure if the barrel material itself will be different from the CA barrels, as I know the Mod2s are suppose to be getting barrels with the 9310H. but the stand-alone barrels might just be the typical M249 barrel steel (though for all I know, that could be 9310H).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am a fan of Noveske's 12.5" carbine length gas, CHF chrome-lined barrels.
    They were the only ones making a 12.5 chrome-lined barrel that wasn't in the retarded government profile. I think that is still the case, but not certain.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    I think it is still the case but the gas port is on the larger side which is why a lot of people on here go Centurion over them.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    About the gas-porting, I intend to use gas-port regulating gas-block inserts (like what BRT offers) to get the desired gassing on whatever barrel I use. So my barrel options are wide open. For this reason I already bought Noveske's 12.5" FN CHF barrel (.071" GP) because I like the beefier profile better than Centurion Arms 12.5" LW government profile. I have a thing for tapered barrels and a little bit of hate for gov't profile. Also the theme of the build is "bomb-proof, go-to gun". If I were to go 11.5" I would have the Noveske 12.5" carbine CHF barrel cut down to 11.5" by Marvin P. Nobody makes a FN CHF machine gun steel 11.5" carbine gas barrel in a tapered heavy profile configuration, so it would be unique in that way (that Sionics 11.5" also hits the sweet spot even if not CHF).

Thanks for the heads up. I dig Hodge stuff and yeah I don't know if 9310h is just m249 machine gun steel or not but I bet it is CHF by FN since Hodge has partnered with them on the Tactical Pro 2 rifles. It would make another good option.

I have a lot of ARs (too many). LPV scoped 16" Recce style go-to war builds, and some RDS only 14.5" ultralight non-NFA and 11.5" and shorter ultralight SBR builds for range fun, HD, and family to enjoy. Here is the thing about 12.5". Conceptually I like the idea that it is a jack of all trades gun that favors manuverabilty and majority suppression more than 14.5" but does it really do anything a 11.5" can't for less length and weight?
    I usually see the optic as a big part of a rifles intended use. Shooting a 11.5" and 12.5" side by side with a LPV or Aimpoint T2 with magnifier setup I wonder if some of the hairs we are splitting are less about the capability of the gun itself and more about how we perceive it and actually use it (optics being a big factor here). I do know my go-to 16" Recce gun can be a little big at times especially hanging a can off it (even with the light and short KAC QDC/CQB). So shorter and lighter is desired for this build. Yet I do come back to the added reliability of the increased dwell time the 12.5" carbine has over the 11.5" carbine barrel. Also I want this rifle to achive the ideal tune that can run everything, .223 and 556 unsupressed but mostly suppressed, and still be properly gassed, low recoiling, and enjoyable to shoot. Some here similarly obsessed with that kind of tunning (Tom12.7) have suggested 12.5" carbine w/ .065" gas-port, A5 system, and LMT E-carrier, whichs fit the formula I use on my 16" guns.

Figured I would see what y'all who also obsess about this stuff had to say.
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 02-23-17 at 17:44.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes, I have a thing for tapered profile barrels too.
    I HATE the gov profile.

As for the gas port size, I just use either an H3 or a Slash XH buffer. I recently added a SLR Sentry adjustable gas block, and once I actually shoot the damn thing, I will report back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I dig Hodge stuff and yeah I don't know if 9310h is just m249 machine gun steel or not but I bet it is CHF by FN since Hodge has partnered with them on the Tactical Pro 2 rifles. It would make another good option.
    Yeah, I had meant to say that the Hodge barrel is most likely the same as the CA barrel, with the exception of the profile and possibly the base steel, spec-wise.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    To clarify, for those wondering... The Centurion Arms 12.5 is a LW barrel with a .750 gas block journal. The BCM and DD 12.5 are the standard Govt profile barrels. I can feel the difference slightly. The Larue is a 12.0 with a taper and the worst gas port size I have ever seen! So that is only an option if you are going with a Adj gas block. I wish someone would get that medium profile 12.5 hammer forged barrel. Interested in what Hodge comes up with, and hopefully at the .065 or less.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 02-23-17 at 12:07.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I went with a 12.5 for my first SBR. I filed the Form 1 last July, so I'm hoping to have my approval by end of March. drtywk, where did you find a Hodge 11.5" rail? I can't find it anywhere, and it's on neither the Hodge or the Mega Arms sites. Are they still being made?
    I got mine from OP Tactical, http://www.optactical.com/hodesywelora.html, but Weapon Outfitters, http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/hodg...stem-11-5.html, also had/has them.

I will be swapping my CA 12.5" barrel for the Hodge variant when it is available. I have a thing for tapered barrels as well and the Hodge barrel has been getting excellent reviews from the guys/gals that have been using/testing them.
    Last edited by drtywk; 02-23-17 at 16:38.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast