Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Popularity of the 12.5" carbine-gas SBR?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I'm going to say you will have no issue with a A5H3 and colt spring in that rifle. All pending the quality of ammo you use of course.
    Good to hear. I mainly shoot my own 69gr SMK and 75gr Hornady Match, usually around 2625 - 2650fps.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I am too. Curious about the 12.5 mid myself. I haven't heard much but i also haven't tally been looking either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll update once I get it put together.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 12.5" SBR is definitely my favorite. The Noveske barrel runs great with an A5H3, and it feels just right with a Nightforce 1-4.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Noveske 12.5 was my favorite upper as well. Ran with an A5H4 and LMT E-Carrier.

Most accurate AR I have owned. So like 1 time, a .99 MOA group... at 50y ...3 shots, BH 55gr. lol

I did shoot a 10rd group but cannot find the data, think it was around 2 MOA at 100y. I suppose I felt like it was an easy 2 MOA and probably better with some talent on the trigger.

End of the day, once I made a 100% suppressed 11.5" this bad boy sat for 2 years. I just sold it and already regret it!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Noveske told me on the phone when I ordered the 12.5" CHF barrel w/o gas-block that their 12.5" stainless steel barrel was consistently at the top of the accuracy stack among all their barrel's.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The stainless barrel with their regular (non-switchblock) gas block was what I ordered. Everything I have read is very positive and I'm pretty excited to put it through its paces.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    With the Centurion C4 carbine gas 12.5 barrel available, with the .065 port, my search stopped beyond that, on 12.5 barrels. Unless you are going for a 100% suppressed build. Mine actually pins out at just under that port size.
    Agreed. My centurion arms barrel is the best barrel I own. Light weight, right feeling length, and soft shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    I've been liking the 12.5" carbine gas 5.56 AR combinations for a while. A mil-specish chamber and bore with a .065" port on a .750" FSB diameter can run really well without or with a can that has the option of a higher total action mass to keep timing in check. For a suppressed only combination, you can get by with a little smaller port using less action mass a little better overall in my opinion.
    I run many SBRs and many cans. The length and weight debate for most of mine in this range is really spitting hairs on what you want to do with it for this size range. I do not go below 11.5" anymore for 5.56, for less barrel length than that, they go 300 Blackout. I have been trending erosive capacity on a few in this range for some time in a few areas specifically. You really do not want a base port that allows the gasses to pass the sealing area near the base of the bullet any larger to allow any higher in gas quantity to enter the port than what is needed to properly cycle the action. Secondary metering of gas beyond the base porting does not help this. Adjustable gas blocks, and items of the like do not help here in the overall lifespan of the barrel, unless they are possibly set to compliment the base barrel orifice restriction to maintain a cyclic rate further down the road with wear, not as a primary orifice to meter gas as new.
    On a 12.5"ish length barrel, - 1" to longer barrel lengths in this range, you can see some gains using a mid length gas system for suppressed use only. This really depends on the total attributes of the entire package, base gun, selected can, ammo, action system, etc.. The problem is that most mid length barrels are gas ported to shoot low powered ammunition without a can. Adding a can may mean adding what is essentially 2-4"ish in what would be barrel length to action drive with that port. Given that most would agree that this is a net negative with the excessive porting, you would either have to cut down in length a more appropriate host barrel, or make your own from a blank to reach suitable results.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Random question, but how well do mini suppressors run on 12.5's ? I've been looking to buy my first suppressor for my 14.5"-18" rifles and settled on a SF SOCOM556-Mini (I'll own a full size eventually as well, but have no SBR's currently so thus the decision for a mini first). I'm not so much worried about sound alone, but a good mix between length/weight/flash/sound on a general purpose HD rifle, and I think 12.5" is what I've decided to use for that role.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Mini suppressors can run well on 12.5" 5.56 ARs, larger suppressors can run good as well for this barrel length and most others.
    They are just available tools to use to suit a task. More possible tools for a possible requirement means that you have the ability to cover more options. Sound pressure levels can be enough in about any scenario to cause permanent hearing damage without proper PPE.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/hodge-12-5-barrel.html

Hodge Defense 12.5" carbine gas 556 government profile(?) barrel. Priced at $300. The one from optactical was $350 before it sold out < 1 day and was *NOT* govt profile. Said to be designed for "professional use" in mind with a suppressor.

http://www.optactical.com/hode5nabar.html

Last edited by jerrysimons; 03-10-17 at 13:28.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast