Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front sight focus, quick eye fatigue

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Also welcome to the party!!

Astigmatism will screw with you pretty bad depending on the severity. I have mild astigmatism and went uncorrected for a long time. Had similar eye fatigue issues. This was exasperated by wearing ANYTHING that was polarized. Would start out ok, then after a bit of time my eyes would get so tired I couldn't focus clearly on squat. Bye bye high dollar Oakley polarized lenses .

Once corrected things got better for a few years till the ole vision took another dump. Now I'm at the point where transitions from far to near are time consuming. This was my primary driver for the RMR. Everything on the same focal plane.

See your doctor as soon as you can. Tell them what you're trying to do. They need to understand your goals and expectations to do their job. Pussy foot around and you'll be frustrated. If they act goofy about guns and such find another doc. Around here I can't throw a fat cat in any direction without hitting an eye doctors office. So it's not like they are hard to find.
    My insurance doesn't cover eye exams, just figured that one out lol. You describing you issues with polarized lenses describes my mild astigmatism to a tee. I'll ask around the local shooting places and see which Dr's are shooter friendly, shouldn't be a problem in Northern Idaho though.

Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I feel your pain.

I have 3 Hi Powers that have become safe queens since I can't enjoy shooting them as much as I used too. One which is the most high end one I have with a BarSto barrel and full accuracy job, now sports Big Dots so I can use it at all. Hi Power slides are too narrow to mount an RMR on it.

My Pistols are slowly but surely getting mounted with RMR or Leupolds. By the way at close distance I just use the sight as a TV screen to sight on center mass and it works for me at limited distance of 7 meters and in.
    I am looking to get some significant time on a friend's Glock 40 MOS (I know, I know) here in the very near future and just see how much better I perform with the dot vs the irons.

Your story of the Hi-Powers bums me out
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    For the handguns shoot a buddies equipped with Fiber Optic FS.
    You may find it makes a big difference.
    For me, the green rod/element stands out best.
    Only way to go on a "Combat" type pistol IMO.
    And I do have astigmatism and over the hill eyes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    My insurance doesn't cover eye exams, just figured that one out lol. You describing you issues with polarized lenses describes my mild astigmatism to a tee. I'll ask around the local shooting places and see which Dr's are shooter friendly, shouldn't be a problem in Northern Idaho though.
    Do yourself a favor....don't look for good eye care advice on the internet. An eye exam at Costco is $60. If you can find an optometrist that knows something about shooting...great, but I would not spend a lot of mental energy trying to find one. It doesn't increase your likelihood of diagnosing your shooting problem by very much. Any competent optometrist can handle this relatively minor problem.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    For the handguns shoot a buddies equipped with Fiber Optic FS.
    You may find it makes a big difference.
    For me, the green rod/element stands out best.
    Only way to go on a "Combat" type pistol IMO.
    And I do have astigmatism and over the hill eyes.
    I have always been concerned about the durability of a fiber optic front on a combat handgun, so I have never really given them the time of day. I always thought night sights were the only way to go. Other than truglo, and Heinie any other manufacturers you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Do yourself a favor....don't look for good eye care advice on the internet. An eye exam at Costco is $60. If you can find an optometrist that knows something about shooting...great, but I would not spend a lot of mental energy trying to find one. It doesn't increase your likelihood of diagnosing your shooting problem by very much. Any competent optometrist can handle this relatively minor problem.

That's what I assumed. I have seen Doctor's prickle up in the past with the mention of firearms. My Boss informed me of the Costco deal last night, sounds damn near worth getting a membership just for that. Thanks!
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have always been concerned about the durability of a fiber optic front on a combat handgun, so I have never really given them the time of day.
    I use both night sights and fiber optics on various combat handguns. IMHO, both work fine. I've not had durability issues with fiber optic. I've broken a few, but they're easily field-replaceable. My major issue with fiberoptic sights is that they perform poorly in low-light, which for me includes my local indoor range.

That's what I assumed. I have seen Doctor's prickle up in the past with the mention of firearms. My Boss informed me of the Costco deal last night, sounds damn near worth getting a membership just for that. Thanks!
    I have no patience for doctors who "prickle up" at the mention of anything. These are people who don't clearly understand their role in their patients' lives and I would have no problem getting up and walking out at the merest hint of any kind of harangue. That said, I think it's pretty rare, and I especially can't envision an optometrist getting worked up about it. They typically don't have any illusions about their role in public health issues, which is ZERO. As to Costco....I have access to all levels of sophisticated ophthalmology care. I get my eye care at the local Costco simply because it's cheap and convenient for my relatively low-level eye care needs.
    Last edited by Hmac; 03-15-17 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One thing I learned about diminishing vision is that it is something that can be compensated for during competition. I don't wear corrective shooting glasses in everyday life, so I train quite a bit with iron sights without the benefit of corrective eyewear. I choose iron sights that will work the best for diminishing vision. For red dot sights I just work with what I have when I look through the Aimpoint.

I purchased several pairs of magnified safety eyeglasses at various powers and sent a lot of rounds down range to find the most effective magnification for my vision using iron sights. For shooting rifles, such as a M1 Garand and M1A, I wear 0.5 power magnifiers. For shooting handguns at 25 yards I wear 0.75 power magnifiers. For shooting handguns at 50 meters I wear 0.5 power magnifiers.

On another firearm related website an eye care professional suggested eyeglasses ground to a person's distance vision correction + 0.5 power for shooting rifles. This recommendation coincides with my personal experience.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    One thing I learned about diminishing vision is that it is something that can be compensated for during competition. I don't wear corrective shooting glasses in everyday life, so I train quite a bit with iron sights without the benefit of corrective eyewear. I choose iron sights that will work the best for diminishing vision. For red dot sights I just work with what I have when I look through the Aimpoint.

I purchased several pairs of magnified safety eyeglasses at various powers and sent a lot of rounds down range to find the most effective magnification for my vision using iron sights. For shooting rifles, such as a M1 Garand and M1A, I wear 0.5 power magnifiers. For shooting handguns at 25 yards I wear 0.75 power magnifiers. For shooting handguns at 50 meters I wear 0.5 power magnifiers.

On another firearm related website an eye care professional suggested eyeglasses ground to a person's distance vision correction + 0.5 power for shooting rifles. This recommendation coincides with my personal experience.
    I did essentially the same thing in my optometrist's office. I have a shooting Rx for front blade pistol in a set of Oakley Half-Jackets and a set of vintage Oakley Splices. If I'm on the range I am wearing one or the other. Scopes don't bother me with just regular shooting glasses, red dot's I get some halo.

If you can order from Oakley Standard Issue it is pretty affordable.

For the Garand and M1A if you use a National Match rear sight you can use different sized apertures or use the BJones lenses: http://www.bjonessights.com/SR.html
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-15-17 at 22:25.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I sell welding supplies so we have ample stock of magnified safety glasses. All of which are too strong for my eyes including the 1x.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I sell welding supplies so we have ample stock of magnified safety glasses. All of which are too strong for my eyes including the 1x.
    1.0 power is too strong for my shooting vision at this point, so I order 0.5 and 0.75 safety glasses from SafetyGlassesUSA. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sear...afety+readers#

As 26 Inf pointed out, BJones makes diopters for service rifle sights. I've purchased apertures from this vendor in the past. http://www.shootingsight.com/
    Last edited by T2C; 03-16-17 at 13:54.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    1.0 power is too strong for my shooting vision at this point, so I order 0.5 and 0.75 safety glasses from SafetyGlassesUSA. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sear...afety+readers#

As 26 Inf pointed out, BJones makes diopters for service rifle sights. I've purchased apertures from this vendor in the past. http://www.shootingsight.com/
    I will check it out. We carry and sell nothing under 1x.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast