Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1A Mil Spec or Sprinfield Armory

Feedback Score

M1A Mil Spec or Sprinfield Armory

For the longest time I have wanted an M1A pattern rifle. For whatever reason I am going to scratch this itch pretty soon.

The question is: Do I buy a Springfield Armory Super Match, or go with a Filton Armory or other Mil Spec build? 1.5 MOA is waht I am after. I also want it to be a solid, reliable rifle.

I don't have any experience with these rifles other that shooting about 50 rounds from a friends SA National Match. It was a blast.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A Springfield Armory Loaded rifle will often shoot 1.5 MOA out to 300 yards and farther with good ammunition. If you have the extra cash, the Super Match is a great rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    A Springfield Armory Loaded rifle will often shoot 1.5 MOA out to 300 yards and farther with good ammunition. If you have the extra cash, the Super Match is a great rifle.
    Thanks T2C. Do you mean the loaded rifle will shoot 1.5" groups at 300 yards? Or 4.5" groups (1.5 MOA) at 300 yards. Sorry for the confusion. I think a National Match may be the way to go as a middle ground.

I am also wondering if a 1:11 barrel will stabilize 175 grain bullets. The Super match has a 1:10 twist baller. At 22" is may not matter that much.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've fired 5" groups at 300 yards with a few M1A Loaded Models and Federal 168g Gold Medal Match. I've also fired considerably larger groups with one loaded model that I just could not make shoot well. It's luck of the draw. I've owned two M1A Standard Models that would shoot under 1.5 MOA or 4" at 300 yards with 168g Match. One had a Saco barrel and the other a barrel marked RTE. Unitizing the front band and gas cylinder does a great deal to improve accuracy in most cases.

The Super Match is a nice rifle and would be a good choice if you plan on shooting competition. The front band and gas cylinder are already unitized. It has a heavier stock and match sights from the factory.

Unless you are shooting past 700 yards, I would not bother with 175g projectiles.

Feedback Score
    Just my 2 cents...
    I think that Springfield does a great job as a civilian rifle, and I will probably get one eventually. Having said that if I had the money or made the M14 style rifle a priority I'd probably head the Fulton Armory route. http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14-Rifles.aspx Not trying to dis-sway you away from Springfield, just trying to give you some options.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Just my 2 cents. But if I were going to get a M1A, I go for a PreBan Era Springfield w/GI parts of get the Fulton or Smith Enterprise with GI Parts. Don't bother trying to get better than 2.5 MOA or better. Its a losing proposition and is going to cost lots of money. M1A's/M14's weren't meant to be tack drivers.

Feedback Score
    Have owned a SA Supermatch and a Fulton Peerless M1A. Both were capable of 1MOA with decent ammunition. However, they both take away from the spirit of the M14 in that the Supergrade uses a thicker stock with more vertical grip and a massively thick barrel under the upper handguard. The fulton Peerless had a bolt into the rear lug along with the bedding, which made it very consistent. It also uses a thick barrel under the handguard. Both were bedded, which means you shouldn't remove the action from the stock. So, if you intend to use it like a battle rifle and like tearing down and cleaning the weapon, I would go with the wood stocked loaded model. You get the best parts of the match rifles, i.e. finer sights and a better trigger. If I was buying today, I would probably go with the National match version, which uses standard stock dimensions, adds bedding, but uses a medium weight barrel, not a heavy weight. A little closer to the original with the commensurate accuracy upgrade.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpe187 View Post
    Have owned a SA Supermatch and a Fulton Peerless M1A. Both were capable of 1MOA with decent ammunition. However, they both take away from the spirit of the M14 in that the Supergrade uses a thicker stock with more vertical grip and a massively thick barrel under the upper handguard. The fulton Peerless had a bolt into the rear lug along with the bedding, which made it very consistent. It also uses a thick barrel under the handguard. Both were bedded, which means you shouldn't remove the action from the stock. So, if you intend to use it like a battle rifle and like tearing down and cleaning the weapon, I would go with the wood stocked loaded model. You get the best parts of the match rifles, i.e. finer sights and a better trigger. If I was buying today, I would probably go with the National match version, which uses standard stock dimensions, adds bedding, but uses a medium weight barrel, not a heavy weight. A little closer to the original with the commensurate accuracy upgrade.
    This is great, thank you. I am now thinking of a loaded version, so that i can take it apart and do the maintenance myself. I don't really think of this a competition rifle, more for fun. If I could get 1.5 - 2 MOA I would be happy.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    Have you stopped by http://www.m14forum.com and looked up TonyBens posts ? He is currently using a lot of Bula parts... and has had great luck with them.
    Thank you for the tip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast