Thread: Burris 1-8 x 24 FFP review

Feedback Score

Burris 1-8 x 24 FFP review

I just got a Burris XTR ii 1-8x24 in today and thought I would give my impressions. I have a 100 yard range in my back yard. I didnt shoot today but spent some time looking through both it and my 1-4 accupower mil-square that it is replacing on my 9" 300 blk. The accupower went to my 14.5 5.56.

-The why
    The way I use my 300 blk, I have the optic zeroed at 100 for supers. I have a chart with all my drops for both supers and subs off that zero. I then dial for using subs at distance (I have used subs out to 300 at range and 220ish in 3-gun).
    I bought the burris because the drop on 300 blk subsonic loads is fairly significant and I was having a hard time seeing the reticle on the accupower. The mil-square reticle is usable but I have a hard time using it at closer ranges(150yrds and in). I get lost counting the squares. At longer ranges, when the targets are smaller it is easier for me to focus on the squares, but I feel that it will much better fit my 5.56 as I wont even need to use the drops until much further out where the mils become easier to see. With the Burris going on gun with limited range I wanted FFP since I figured I would not be using it on 8x as much, and since the drops were so important to me. I will work out a chart that corrisponds to the reticle tonight.

-Glass clarity
    Compared to my accupower the class seem slightly clearer. The image is more crisp and it is brighter at similar magnification. This is all by just a little bit though and I have been nothing but happy with the accupower glass. Up close transitioning between targets(didnt shoot today but did some range dry fire) both scopes seem about the same with the advantage going to the burris for both FOV and ease of seeing reticle both illuminated and not. Also at 20min past sundown I could see clear and bright at 5x(obviously relative to how dark it is outside which is not bright). 8x is getting dark but usable(though with a little strain for me).

-Reticle
    Just looking at it I am very pleased. I have heard it said that the drops on a 1-8 ffp is really only usefull from 4-8x, that is not true for this reticle. I can distinguish the drop lines at 1.5x about as easy or easier than I can see the drops on my accupower. At 2.5x I can see the 4 on the reticle that is next to the 400yrd line(obviously not 400yrd for my blk) though I cant read it, and at 3.5x I can clearly see that it is a 4. I would say the drops are easily usable from 2-8x and maby usable at 1.5x. I would also say that the width of the drops are hard to use clearly at 1.5x but easy to distinguish at 2.5x.

-Controls
    The elevation and windage adjustments are WAY nicer than my accupower. The accupower is mushy but I have never had issue with them being usable. The elevation dial on the accupower has worked fine so I am not knocking its usability. The brightness adjustment on the Burris is not as nice as the accupower though and is noticeably mushier. The zoom ring on the burris is tight much like the accupower(not "oh crap" tight, but nice and quality fealing). Unlike the accupower there is no built in lever. The lever on the accupower is very nice. Why all scopes dont have a similar built in feature, I do not know. I guess I will be buying something for this XTR.

-illumination
    It is brighter than the accupower by a bunch. I didnt get outside until about 40 min before sundown so I have no idea if daylight bright. The holds on the reticle are not usable with the illumination but by the point I couldnt see the reticle I couldnt see anything else either so that doesnt matter much. It is also a bit more of an orange than red. The accupower is red.

I will get out and actually shoot it tomarrow. I just didnt have the patience to rezero my rifle today. Also this thing is a bit heavy. My 9" sbr is a porker. With AAC upper and can it is about 10.6 lbs unloaded. I could trim the weight by buying a newer lighter upper and changing out some parts to lighter ones(I have an extra titanium mini break mount for my recce 7 and a Aero Precision mount to replace the Geiselle in a box somewhere) but I'm in no hurry to spend money just for weight or swap out parts to ones I am less confident/comfortable with just to save a lb or so. I would rather just be happy with my "older" rifle and put the money twards something I dont have instead of fighting the Jones's trying to keep my old rifle up to date.
    Last edited by threeheadeddog; 02-23-17 at 19:38. Reason: added info
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you're seeing all that drop, why'd you get an 8x optic? If you're only going to be shooting it close ranges, perhaps a 1x would be more appropriate?
    Just asking, to each their own, of course.

Feedback Score
    I know many dont think 300 yards is far but I dont feel it is close either. You are right though, 8x is alot. That is why I bought the ffp model. That way I do have a 1x and a 4x.
    I dont just shoot at full size silhouettes either. I often shoot at small critters too.

Feedback Score
    I finally got out to shoot it.

Transitions were very easy and the image was flatter than on my accupower 1-4 at 1x. Everything from about 3yrds and out is a true 1x, closer than 5-10 feet you can see a little bit of change in image from what is outside the scope to what is inside as you scan with optic but not much.
    At 1x the eyebox seems good, but it is not as forgiving as on my 1-4 and it may take a little practice for first shot speed, as there is more of an "out of eyebox" zone when bringing gun to eye. I did not notice any issues with eyebox when shooting at speed transitioning from target to target laterally(I snap my eye to target and bring gun to eye) only when mounting gun from low ready. The eyebox at 8x is tighter.
    I found myself much more comfortable at +/-6x looking through the scope than at 8x. Early in the morning the sun was low and in my eyes and at 8x there was considerable glare that disappeared when getting in lower magnification, the ffp reticle made for no change in shooting except magnification. At midday 8x was fine. I may just go ghetto and make a shade for it, I used my hand to shade for a few shots from the lead sled when sighting in and it helped.
    Reticle is fast and has been bright in every lighting condition so far(I have shot with it pretty much every day since getting it, as I have a range in back yard). I am in TN, not Arizona so take that as you may.
    I wish so bad it had a built in power ring lever. I will have to buy one soon.

I like it so far. I do wonder if the 28mm obj on the Trijicon 1-8 would be enough of a difference that it would make 8x more comfortable at morning and evening. Most likely just a little.
    Last edited by threeheadeddog; 03-03-17 at 16:19.
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.