Thread: Quick rant

Feedback Score

Quick rant

Saw a thread on another site about a guy having a problem with flicking the safety to safe while firing a 1911 and blaming it on the length of the thumb safety and to heavy of recoiling 230gr factory ammo. Why do people blame the gun when it's them that's screwing up? He was firing it with his thumb under the safety. Not the guns fault, it's doing exactly what it's designed to do. When confronted with he needs to go to thumb over safety, not under the response was, it's not comfortable..... listen here special Olympics contender, you're the one that is not doing it correctly, ain't the guns fault nor the ammo fault.

Rant off

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hardware will not resolve a software problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Hardware will not resolve a software problem.
    This. Take the time to learn the gun or use something else. Complaining is useless if you don't want to hear answers.

Feedback Score
    My thoughts exactly. So many people want to start modifying stuff and have zero idea what they're truly modifying or trying to accomplish. Just shoot the damned thing, and shoot it correctly. A few thousand rounds down range will tell you everything you need to know. It's a lot easier to blame and talk hardware instead of software

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    LAV did a video on this a while back. Glock guys that shoot a 1911 for the first time dont put their thumb on the safety they put it under or to the side which causes it to accidentally actuate. As usual LAV has a some interesting tips that make life easier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    LAV did a video on this a while back. Glock guys that shoot a 1911 for the first time dont put their thumb on the safety they put it under or to the side which causes it to accidentally actuate. As usual LAV has a some interesting tips that make life easier.
    Unless they have really small hands, if using a proper thumb forward grip, your thumb SHOULD naturally rest on top of the safety.

Actually, and maybe I'm just weird, but putting it under the safety would be the last place I would put it. It looks like a built-in thumb-shelf, even a novice should get that. you either move your thumb, or your whole hand (which doesn't make sense), unless your hand is half-way down the grip (which extra doesn't make sense). FWIW, I've shot a 1911 once.

edit - its like its where to help hold the gun down (if you didn't know anything about guns), why wouldn't you use it?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-26-17 at 16:54.

Feedback Score
    That's what I tried explaining. Then one guy said that he prefers the teacup grip. And I got told that thumb under safety is how the military trained soldiers for a long time, and it worked for them. Well so did Sherman tanks and p51 mustangs, don't see a lot of those in the battlefield anymore now do you. Then got told I don't think outside the box, because the two hand grip isn't ideal and in a real world scenario you won't get a two hand grip, and you shouldn't have your thumb over safety with a one hand grip. The thumb over safety is apparently a "gamer" thing as is the two handed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    That's what I tried explaining. Then one guy said that he prefers the teacup grip. And I got told that thumb under safety is how the military trained soldiers for a long time, and it worked for them. Well so did Sherman tanks and p51 mustangs, don't see a lot of those in the battlefield anymore now do you. Then got told I don't think outside the box, because the two hand grip isn't ideal and in a real world scenario you won't get a two hand grip, and you shouldn't have your thumb over safety with a one hand grip. The thumb over safety is apparently a "gamer" thing as is the two handed.

If they actually shot, maybe they'd experience more control 1 handed with the thumb over the safety.

Have they tried it? Maybe it works better for them?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post

If you have a GI safety on the weapon and do a sufficient number of pushups on a daily basis, you won't push the weapon on safe during the recoil cycle.

Feedback Score
    The op is a newbie to 1911s. The guy spewing all this bs, I'm guessing he's an "enthusiast" who doesn't run them hard, carry them and just has them s safe queens.