Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review/Questions on Colt CCU

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Review/Questions on Colt CCU

Just purchased from LGS. Fit and finish is outstanding. The stock is extremely tight with zero play or rattle. The gas tube is straight. Appears to have no staking on the castle nut. I looked real close; even used reading glasses. Sorry, no range report. Literally just walked in the house. Spec sheet says it is slightly heavier than a lightweight but the CCU balances very well and in hand feels lighter.

Questions:

1)Are the round holes on the Centurion rails for QD points?

2) What BUIS are the cool guys currently using? I need some sort of sights while saving for optics so the front and rear must flip down.

3) Besides the optics, what would you put on this rifle if it were yours?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Just purchased from LGS. Fit and finish is outstanding. The stock is extremely tight with zero play or rattle. The gas tube is straight. Appears to have no staking on the castle nut. I looked real close; even used reading glasses. Sorry, no range report. Literally just walked in the house. Spec sheet says it is slightly heavier than a lightweight but the CCU balances very well and in hand feels lighter.

Questions:

2) What BUIS are the cool guys currently using? I need some sort of sights while saving for optics so the front and rear must flip down.

Can't go wrong with Magpul MBUS sights. The MBUS Pro are very nice but i've had great luck with the standard polymer ones

If it were mine, I would put a light on it and a 2 point sling and be done with it (you mentioned an optic already).
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is a super slick basic version of my above mentioned one...

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have put a few hundred rds through my factory 6960 with no issues and I just got a 6960 upper in today to slap on a spare 6920 lower I had. I'm a big fan of the 6960. I've got the plastic mbus on my factory and "mutt" 6960s. I wanted the lightest possible sights and the Magpuls have never let me down and are certainly priced right. I have a PRO on one 6960 and will add one of those to the other when funds allow.

I like the Blue Force Gear Vickers padded slings with QD swivels, and I'll be sticking with the SL stocks, really like these. I just need to decide on a light for both and my pair will be good to go. I'm thinking of keeping it simple and just going with a g2x for each after researching mlok mounts.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthepuck View Post
    I have put a few hundred rds through my factory 6960 with no issues and I just got a 6960 upper in today to slap on a spare 6920 lower I had.
    How did you buy just the upper? Would be awesome if Colt started to just sell the complete upper.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark71 View Post
    How did you buy just the upper? Would be awesome if Colt started to just sell the complete upper.
    The gunbroker seller "candu" is currently selling le6960 lowers, along with complete 6960s. I messaged him and asked if he'd sell just an upper. He said yes, so I may have lucked out. I believe some 6960 uppers were on gunbroker a few weeks ago,none directly available from Colt yet as far as I know.
    Last edited by whatthepuck; 02-24-17 at 17:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Questions:

I've been using a version of that for a long time. I've using MBUS PRO, though I use MBUS on plenty of other URGs with zero concern. I dropped a small light on mine so keep weight down. Remember, it isn't so much the weight of the light as it is the balance of the weapon. Anything out front offsets the balance to a much larger degree with the long rail.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score

Questions:

Outstanding fit and finish and no castle nut staking?

Is Colt actually making these or are these being made by someone else under Colt's name?

Also, from the pictures that I have seen the gas tube is not straight.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 02-24-17 at 16:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post

Is Colt actually making these or are these being made by someone else under Colt's name?

My understanding is the rails of directly to Colt, so I would NOT expect them to be subcontracted to someone else. I think "straight" gas tube meant properly aligned, but if it is a straight tube that would be interesting. I don't know what Colt would go different than everyone else in this area.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post

They are being made by Colt. I tried to find the thread where it was said, but I remember a discussion here on the Expanse model, Colt OEM's, and the new 6960. There was an answer in which a rep stated only the Expanse is made by someone else. I'll try to find the thread. In the meantime, I took a screen shot of the statement in regards to the Expanse.

IMG_1350.jpg

**That was in regards to the Expanse model, NOT the 6960**

I just remember the conversation being about the above three models mentioned, and that it was confirmed that the 6960 was made by Colt.

I'll keep looking for a link.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by w3453l; 02-24-17 at 16:25.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast