Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My PSA Journey

Feedback Score

My PSA Journey

About 2 years ago, I began keeping a carbine in the trunk of my car just in case. It was a BCM 16" LW with an AP PRO. Solid setup. About a year later, my previously crime-free neighborhood began experiencing a rash of thefts and burglaries. I decided I could not bear to lose my BCM or any of my other top-drawer guns - along with all the accessories so carefully chosen and mounted on them - so I decided to replace my trunk gun with something less expensive.

Now I spent my last 5 years at my 150 Officer agency as Rangemaster / Armorer and have 3 Colt factory LE Armorer certs for M16/M4/Subguns, so i wasn't going to buy a DPMS and feel good about it. I wanted it all and I wanted it cheap. I know - I chuckled too.

I spent a lot of time researching and decided to roll the dice with Palmetto State. I bought everything on sale when free shipping was available, a piece at a time. I bought a blem lower for $129.00 and tore it down within an hour of receiving it. I couldn't find the blem and I also couldn't find anything else I didn't like. Snapped it on a Colt upper and shot it that way for a couple of months while I figured out which upper to go with. I was more than satisfied with the lower. Next, I bought a BCM BCG. 'Nuff said. For the upper I went with PSA's # 29607. 16" middy, 1/7, CL, 16" chrome lined, Mil-B-11595E, chrome moly vanadium steel barrel, 5.56 chamber, M4 ramps, F marked FSB, etc for $259.00 w/o BCG and CH. This checked all the boxes except "tier 1 manufacturer". Upper is an Anchor harvey forging. I went ahead and ordered a PSA Premium BCG for $79 with free shipping also - how bad could it be, right. I had the BCM in the safe also.

On close inspection, the upper looked quite good. Everything aligned. Feed ramps nicely mated up to upper cuts. BCG was most impressive - the staking was freaking medieval, proper extractor spring, black insert, O ring. Excellent tension on extractor and ejector. Clean machining.

I assembled this now all-PSA carbine and took it to the range with a good mix of M193, some green tip, and a crapload of Wolf steel case. If I were blindfolded and told this was a DD ( I own 1), Colt (2), or BCM (2), I would have had no reason to question it except, why the heavy / stagey trigger? Perfect function. 3.25 accuracy at 100 with a red dot and my 54 year old eyes off my range bag. 3 mag dumps as fast as I could manipulate the trigger and reload also went off without a hitch - zero malfs.

Over the summer, I took one 700 round weekend carbine course and pretty much shot this sub $500 carbine exclusively to vette it. I have yet to have a failure of any kind and I have mostly shot Wolf Polyformance. I also have not cleaned this weapon a single time after readying it for the range on day one.

I have never owned a $467 dollar AR before, but I do now AND I LIKE IT. Alot. Yes, it's a sample of 1. Yes, it could disintegrate tomorrow. But given its track record so far, I don't think I am in for any bad surprises as it goes into my Bocce Ball case in the trunk, awaiting a time I hope will never come.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Im glad to hear that about PSA, I just ordered a upper/lower parts kit and ALG trigger from them last night for a OEM Noveske SBR build. I have heard nothing but good about PSA.

Feedback Score
    I also went the PSA route for an inexpensive rifle. I do also have another carbine with a 6920 upper on a Spike lower. I too chose the premium BCG and although I have not taken it apart, it looks and operates fine so far. I also got the belmished complete lower. Where I differ is I got the midlenght Freedom melonite upper that looks and works great. I plan to put it through the paces. I have only had it about 2 weeks now and only have run a little over a 100 rounds through it. Gotta say that I am impressed with my PSA set up.
    Last edited by Redstate; 08-21-15 at 14:31.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have had great service from PSA. One of my keeper AR's has a PSA Premium carbine upper on it. It outshoots my LE6920 and my BCM carbine. It's had the best part of 3,000 rounds through it so far, and I wouldn't hesitate to grab it in a bug out situation. I've been impressed with all of my PSA purchases so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Over 3k rounds through this one
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    MistWolf, is that the Freedom stainless?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I believe it's a Wilson barrel. I bought it long before they had "Freedom" or "PTAC".

A friend recently built a Freedom melonited rifle kit and it runs fine. We haven't put enough round through it to tune the buffer weight or give it the seal of approval, but I feel confident it will prove to be a solid performer
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Thanks, MistWolf.

Feedback Score
    A guy at work just got a PSA lower, it's as good as an inexpensive lower can get... Now I want one too. I have lowers I'm not even using, but I still want another!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Iv never had a problem with PSA. Shipping I think is sometimes a little high, but everything has been delivered fast and accurate. I think their rifles would fill the bill for a lot of people who don't shoot really high volumes. Been wanting to build one like OP did myself.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast