Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review/Questions on Colt CCU

Feedback Score
    The 6960 pretty much nails everything that someone wants if they were to step 'up' from a 6920/6970. An 6960 upper would be an easy buy for any lower I have laying around. An 6960 lower would be an easy buy for any upper I have laying around. A complete 6960 is an easy buy.

Colt seems to have gotten it right.

What if they made a 6933 with a Centurion rail? I'd about die, but first I'd have to buy two of them.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 02-24-17 at 19:51.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Congrats on the purchase. I've gone back and forth on one of those and a Sionics Patrol III for myself and my brother. I threw some feedback to your questions in the quote below (my answers in dark red).

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Just purchased from LGS. Fit and finish is outstanding. The stock is extremely tight with zero play or rattle. The gas tube is straight. Appears to have no staking on the castle nut. I looked real close; even used reading glasses. Sorry, no range report. Literally just walked in the house. Spec sheet says it is slightly heavier than a lightweight but the CCU balances very well and in hand feels lighter.

Questions:

1)Are the round holes on the Centurion rails for QD points? Indeed they are, Centurion mentions it on their website for the CMR MLOK.

2) What BUIS are the cool guys currently using? I need some sort of sights while saving for optics so the front and rear must flip down. My preference on flip-up BUIS are the Magpul MBUS Pro/Pro LR or KAC Micro Sights. I'm building up what's going to closely resemble a Sionics Patrol III and will be going with either a Daniel Defense fixed front & rear or a Daniel Defense fixed front with a MBUS Pro or KAC 200-600M Micro rear.

3) Besides the optics, what would you put on this rifle if it were yours? On a similar one that I'm building up, I'm going with an Aimpoint Micro (2MOA), Surefire Scout/Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount, and Blue Force Gear VCAS w/ sewn-in QD cups. Only change I might make is to throw a 1-4/1-6 on there instead of the Aimpoint.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    I have a TA45 ACOG, a M300 Scout on a Magpul mount, and a Proctor Way of the Gun sling on my CCU.

Feedback Score
    Do it up right and get a set of Troy BUIS. Buy once cry once......
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Troy offset sights, some sort of trigger either ALG if you're on a budget, CMC or geissele. And then top it off with a Trijicon 1-something.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I actually sold off my Troy sights and replaced them with the MagPul MBUS sights. Lighter, easier to deploy, and I prefer the sight picture.

I would add a 300 scout light on a magPul mount and the optic of your choice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Correction on the castle nut staking. Pointed it out to someone more knowledgeable, who, in turn, pointed out the two beautifully machined staking points. I can't imagine the nut ever backing off. As to the gas tube, it comes straight back out of the gas block then does the traditional looking bend up into the receiver. As I mentioned in the OP, the fit, finish, and build quality is amazing. Someone who talks down about Colt quality needs to look at this particular specimen.

Removed all the oil that the rifle was soaking in and ran 20 rounds through it using the supplied G2 Magpul magazine. That was as much as I could shoot given my location. Safe, but I'm sure we were drawing some unwanted attention. All 20 went downrange without issue. I didn't perceive any difference in recoil between the gas lengths, but what do I know?

Great rifle. No remorse. Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by Butch; 02-25-17 at 10:57. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I actually sold off my Troy sights and replaced them with the MagPul MBUS sights. Lighter, easier to deploy, and I prefer the sight picture.

I would add a 300 scout light on a magPul mount and the optic of your choice.
    The Pros or the standard?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill530 View Post
    I have a TA45 ACOG, a M300 Scout on a Magpul mount, and a Proctor Way of the Gun sling on my CCU.
    Really, really, nice. DSLR nearby with some good lighting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Correction on the castle nut staking. Pointed it out to someone more knowledgeable, who, in turn, pointed out the two beautifully machined staking points. I can't imagine the nut ever backing off. As to the gas tube, it comes straight back out of the gas block then does the traditional looking bend up into the receiver. As I mentioned in the OP, the fit, finish, and build quality is amazing. Someone who talks down about Colt quality needs to look at this particular specimen.

Removed all the oil that the rifle was soaking in and ran 20 rounds through it using the supplied G2 Magpul magazine. That was as much as I could shoot given my location. Safe, but I'm sure we were drawing some unwanted attention. All 20 went downrange without issue. I didn't perceive any difference in recoil between the gas lengths, but what do I know?

Great rifle. No remorse. Thanks for the replies.
    Alright, now it sounds like an actual Colt made rifle.

I would get the MBUS PROs if it were mine and I would try out the elevation adjustable rear too.

As for an optic, I would just put my Trijicon ACOG TA31H-G on it.

usually I would also install a Geissele SD-E trigger because I'm spoiled.

I would also put a standard MOE grip on it because I don't like those more vertical angled grips.

That's about it.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 02-25-17 at 12:30.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast