Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your "Go To" weapon and gear, and why?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What is your "Go To" weapon and gear, and why?

If you can post a picture of your weapon, along with why you have a weapon set up that way, this thread could become a great resource as well as inspiration for people. Rifle, pistol, shotgun? Heck, if you keep a M44 Mosin Nagant as your go to weapon that works for me. Everyone has their own needs, reasons, and budgets.

If you have other gear that you throw into a car in the event of things going bad, or that you throw on if you hear a bump outside in the night, feel free to post that as well. Jacket? Pack? LBE? Sure, if you feel it is functional, and you think someone could learn from your pic and explanation please post it up.

I know that I post a lot of pictures of weapons, but the amount of weapons I keep "locked" into a particular configuration is pretty small.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I go outside, I tend to have this with me. Call it an old fall back on the proven LBE, this one is from Tactical Tailor, and has padded shoulder straps and waist. A 30 round PMAG is on one side as an extra reload in case I'm grabbing a long gun. The up front pistol mag gives an additional 20 rounds of pistol ammo, or an additional 40 if I want two extra mags. I can remove the PMAG, and the shock cord allows for the HSGI taco mag holder to hold a radio, 308 mag, or whatever else I can think of.

The holster is a Safariland SLS security holster with the rotating hood, the leg straps ride up high and I'll eventually take the upper one off. The drop holster takes few seconds longer to put on, but makes the entire setup almost weightless.

The Glock 17 (Gen 3 17C) has a threaded barrel from Blacklist Industries, though I certainly have nothing against a standard Glock barrel. The light attached to the weapon is a Surefire 300X-U.

The knife is a 6" DPX Gear (DPx HEFT 6 Assault). The blade is Sleipner steel hardened to 60 HRC. We did a bunch of testing on this knife, and it is fantastic, so it became a primary blade. It sharpens well, and stays wickedly sharp even after heavy use.

The magazine extension is Taran Tactical, and it isn't on there for any special reason other than it was something I was trying that worked well. I end up with 20 rounds in the mag, and a weight that drops the mag free as well as aids reloads.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here are some follow up pictures, which show things in a little more detail.

Stick

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Tag

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Tag

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jump on in, this is going to be a boring thread with me talking to myself... :-D
    Stick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice kit Stick. Mine, as is many others, is dictated by my budget and needs. I drive a lot for a well known ride/taxi alternative outfit as a way of making ends meet, but not for much longer I pray.. My go to is going between a SIG P225 with spare mag and a S&W M13 3" with speedloader for now. I am also experimenting with behind the hip IWB and AWIB. Long pull DA first shot is my requirement, at least for AWIB, so Glocks need not apply. I am comfortable with SA only [1911] behind the hip. I have a reinforced leather clip on/in for the SIG and a Zero brand kydex for the Smith, both carry well and hidden. For the spare mag I have a Wilderness Tactical horizontal pouch that I really like, it keeps the mag at least even with the beltline. I never carry a long gun in my car since I work in two non-permissive environments.
    For persec on the job, all my valuables/documents are carried on my body as are my house keys, etc. Take my car and my cheap phone but I insist on leaving..

I have an emergency bag with med kit, knife, white light, batteries, OTC medications, instant coffee and energy foods plus extra contact lenses. I have cold weather gear, tarp, plastic garbage bags and water in the car always.

My AR15 and M1 Carbine are well supplied with mags and all the ammo I can afford. I have training and I train regularly. I have packs, LBE and Kevlar as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Go To" pistol/EDC - stock VP9, and one reload carried in a Snag Mag pocket carrier. I'm currently using a Raven Concealment Phantom OWB holster although up until recently I was using a Crossbreed Snapslide but I'd finally had enough of the exposed muzzle and made the switch to the Raven about a month ago.

Go to rifle is a bit of an odd one...not because the gun itself is odd, but because the way it is set up...or more corectly isn't set up.
    An iron sighted carbine (BCM lightweight on a Rock River upper with BCM receiver extension) with a rattlecan paint job and Magpul SL handguards that were mangled in an ill-conceived experiment. It really shouldn't be my Go To rifle because I have another AR equipped with an Aimpoint, but the light weight and portability of this one ends up making it the one I'm most apt to grab and toss in the jeep, or to have in hand when I completely overreact to an odd noise in the basement at 1:00am. Usually the gun has a 20 rounder in it, when traveling I usually keep four 30 rounders in an S.O Tech bandolier on hand as well. At some point I'll probably come to grips with the fact it needs an optic and stick my spare Aimpoint PRO on it. In any case, it's probably my current "Go To".
    Picture is nothing special as I just took it to serve as a visual aid rather than look good.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Have a security box in the back of my "work" vehicle that I keep perceived necessities in; AR pistol, SPR, AMMO, magazines, plate carrier/chest rig, range bags, spare handguns (P-35/1911- I'm old and set in my ways), holster/belt/mag carriers, spotting scope,etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll start with what I carry every day and why

My daily carry handgun is a Walther PPQ 9mm. It fits my hand well and I like how the controls are laid out. Trigger is great and I find this pistol easy to shoot well. It rides in an IWB kydex holster made by Theis. Pocket knife is made CRKT and is easily opened with one hand. The knife sees a lot of use. The Samsung is always with me, it seems. A handy little entertainment center that fits in my pocket. The Surefire light is small, light and bright but it burns though batteries quick. Keys and wallet.

The Big Fat Wolf is getting on in years and those years are taking their toll. I need spectacles to see both far and near. Seems a guy can't catch a break. My hearing isn't what it used to be and the the VA was kind enough to fit me with hearing aids. They help some. The best part is they have Bluetooth. That's what the pendant is for, to connect the phone to the hearing aids. I can take calls, listen to Audible Books and watch Netflix all through my hearing aids. The hearing aids are light and comfortable and the Bluetooth feature is amazing.

The PPQ goes on the nightstand by the bed and it's accompanied by an AR. If something goes bump in the night, I'll be grabbing the AR first. Currently, that duty falls to the Wolf Pup, an AR pistol

I have other ARs, but with the Aimpoint, light and short length with the suppressor, the Wolf Pup is best suited for the job and it's been thoroughly vetted.

There's also a Colt 6920 I'm getting outfitted. It's got a pinned SOCOM barrel and I just picked up an Aimpoint & mount for it. This photo was taken not long after I got the Colt, before the barrel swap. It shoots good

A Colt 6933 will be joining the line-up once it clears quarantine

Nothing fancy and things are still evolving but this is what I've got for "go to" gear so far
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-20-17 at 10:27.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'll start with what I carry every day and why

My daily carry handgun is a Walther PPQ 9mm. It fits my hand well and I like how the controls are laid out. Trigger is great and I find this pistol easy to shoot well. It rides in an IWB kydex holster made by Theis. Pocket knife is made CRKT and is easily opened with one hand. The knife sees a lot of use. The Samsung is always with me, it seems. A handy little entertainment center that fits in my pocket. The Surefire light is small, light and bright but it burns though batteries quick. Keys and wallet.

The Big Fat Wolf is getting on in years and those years are taking their toll. I need spectacles to see both far and near. Seems a guy can't catch a break. My hearing isn't what it used to be and the the VA was kind enough to fit me with hearing aids. They help some. The best part is they have Bluetooth. That's what the pendant is for, to connect the phone to the hearing aids. I can take calls, listen to Audible Books and watch Netflix all through my hearing aids. The hearing aids are light and comfortable and the Bluetooth feature is amazing.

The PPQ goes on the nightstand by the bed and it's accompanied by an AR. If something goes bump in the night, I'll be grabbing the AR first. Currently, that duty falls to the Wolf Pup, an AR pistol

I have other ARs, but with the Aimpoint, light and short length with the suppressor, the Wolf Pup is best suited for the job and it's been thoroughly vetted.

There's also a Colt 6920 I'm getting outfitted. It's got a pinned SOCOM barrel and I just picked up an Aimpoint & mount for it. This photo was taken not long after I got the Colt, before the barrel swap. It shoots good

A Colt 6933 will be joining the line-up once it clears quarantine

Nothing fancy and things are still evolving but this is what I've got for "go to" gear so far
    Sent you a PM, but your box is full.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast