Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP01 to 226?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

SP01 to 226?

The prices for harder to get handguns are inflated in California. While the sp01 is on the roster, most local gun shops have a long wait list to get one.

Anyway, I have one and I do like it. But I may have been offered to trade for a 226, which is a couple hundred dollars more than the sp01.

I've only used a 226 one time and it was probably 5 years ago. I remember not being too impressed, but that was when I first started shooting.

I am leaving this state probably before the end of the year, so getting another sp01 in the combination I want will be a possibility.

What would you guys do?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Keep the gun you have now, move to a free state, explore the possibilities of a P226 later.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had 2 - P226s and 1 - P228. All Exeter models and zero issues. I have heard people get Exeter ones that are a PITA. My fascination with Sig has come and gone.

I hate having to alter my natural grip as I would constantly barely put pressure on the slide stop/release and keep the slide from locking back on the last round.

The notorious high bore axis seemed less noticeable to me as I got used to it, I personally got tired of DA/SA.

With that being said if I ever come across a nice West German P228 I'll add it to the safe.

As for the CZ the only one i shot was a well worked over SP-01 and it was phenomenal. I would love to add the new shadow to my safe. That would be my pick over a P226.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It's purely preference. Sigs apperently are great guns, but I don't like how they shoot. I'd take an sp-01 over a sig every opportunity I got.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Bodhi, I know you say you are in CA. This may already be obvious to you, but I'll mention it just in case.

Check if the 226 is not one of the CA neutered Sigs. You may or may not care, but I know a lot of the CA approved Sigs are decked out with all of the excessive "shark fin" LCIs, mag disconnects, and I don't know what else.

And neutered vs non neutered is sometimes a big price difference on the secondhand CA market.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Bodhi, I know you say you are in CA. This may already be obvious to you, but I'll mention it just in case.

Check if the 226 is not one of the CA neutered Sigs. You may or may not care, but I know a lot of the CA approved Sigs are decked out with all of the excessive "shark fin" LCIs, mag disconnects, and I don't know what else.

And neutered vs non neutered is sometimes a big price difference on the secondhand CA market.
    CA 226s do have a mag disconnect safety. Along with being on the "approved list", all CA pistols are required to have either a loaded chamber indicator (a peep-hole satisfies the rule, a la EMP), or a mag-disconnect safety so they don't fire without a mag in the well.

Goes without saying, but CA sucks.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    The P226 is a fantastic gun not without its drawbacks. I have time behind a W. German in 9mm and a Michigan State Police .40 cal DAK model. Although the high bore axis isn't my favorite I shoot both very well. That being said, if you weren't impressed the first time you shot it, I'd stick with the SP01 for now and explore the 226 at a later time. You could always rent one at a range and see if your opinions have changed in the meantime. The P226 and most sigs in general are very nice guns, but they seem to be one of those guns that you either love or hate. I will say that the D/A trigger of a sig better than most out of the box.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Keep the CZ...
    The Jeep is Family

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    CA 226s do have a mag disconnect safety. Along with being on the "approved list", all CA pistols are required to have either a loaded chamber indicator (a peep-hole satisfies the rule, a la EMP), or a mag-disconnect safety so they don't fire without a mag in the well.

Goes without saying, but CA sucks.
    Agreed. Not to get too off topic, but they also require micro stamping on firing pins now too. Which explains why no new guns can be added to the roster.

The only catch still is that all of the "safety" requirements to be approved for the roster apply to when the model was submitted. Once approved, the gun can be renewed over and over again as long as it remains unchanged. For example, Gen 3 Glock 19's (in black and made in Austria) are the same in CA as everywhere else, minus the standard cap mags.

Since Glock keeps renewing the Gen 3 models, they don't have to add additional "safety" features like the latest micro stamping firing pins. Many Sigs on the other hand, were submitted and approved when CA required the mag disconnect, LCI, and whatever else was mandated at the time.

That's why walking into a CA gun store looks like you're going back in time by x years when looking in the handgun counter. Our latest model HK is a P2000 if that says anything.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd sooner stick with the CZ. I have a classic P226 that I have not touched in years. Yet when last I could shoot, I went to town on my Surp CZ75.

It is overall a far more enjoyable gun and FWIW, I am a severe Glock user.

The P226 has this mysticism of dudes in Woodland fatigues and do rags coming out the water or guys in suits arresting serial killers but, I argue that the overall schema of the pistol has come and long gone.

The CZ feels like a BHP 2.0 and simply feels better. As in, it doesn't feel like work to shoot.

The Czechs really got that one right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast