Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP01 to 226?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

SP01 to 226?

The prices for harder to get handguns are inflated in California. While the sp01 is on the roster, most local gun shops have a long wait list to get one.

Anyway, I have one and I do like it. But I may have been offered to trade for a 226, which is a couple hundred dollars more than the sp01.

I've only used a 226 one time and it was probably 5 years ago. I remember not being too impressed, but that was when I first started shooting.

I am leaving this state probably before the end of the year, so getting another sp01 in the combination I want will be a possibility.

What would you guys do?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Keep the gun you have now, move to a free state, explore the possibilities of a P226 later.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had 2 - P226s and 1 - P228. All Exeter models and zero issues. I have heard people get Exeter ones that are a PITA. My fascination with Sig has come and gone.

I hate having to alter my natural grip as I would constantly barely put pressure on the slide stop/release and keep the slide from locking back on the last round.

The notorious high bore axis seemed less noticeable to me as I got used to it, I personally got tired of DA/SA.

With that being said if I ever come across a nice West German P228 I'll add it to the safe.

As for the CZ the only one i shot was a well worked over SP-01 and it was phenomenal. I would love to add the new shadow to my safe. That would be my pick over a P226.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It's purely preference. Sigs apperently are great guns, but I don't like how they shoot. I'd take an sp-01 over a sig every opportunity I got.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Bodhi, I know you say you are in CA. This may already be obvious to you, but I'll mention it just in case.

Check if the 226 is not one of the CA neutered Sigs. You may or may not care, but I know a lot of the CA approved Sigs are decked out with all of the excessive "shark fin" LCIs, mag disconnects, and I don't know what else.

And neutered vs non neutered is sometimes a big price difference on the secondhand CA market.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd sooner stick with the CZ. I have a classic P226 that I have not touched in years. Yet when last I could shoot, I went to town on my Surp CZ75.

It is overall a far more enjoyable gun and FWIW, I am a severe Glock user.

The P226 has this mysticism of dudes in Woodland fatigues and do rags coming out the water or guys in suits arresting serial killers but, I argue that the overall schema of the pistol has come and long gone.

The CZ feels like a BHP 2.0 and simply feels better. As in, it doesn't feel like work to shoot.

The Czechs really got that one right.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Another vote for a CZ. The P226 is nice...but not quite as nice as the CZ...and it to CZC...you will never get rid of it after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got a SP-01, and after making just some minor changes to it ala Cajun Gun works, it's a wonderful shooter.. excellent DA/SA trigger, very accurate. I liked so much that I bought one of the "SP-01 compacts" that have showed up. Think SP-01 frame, slide, only compact size. Nobody seems to know what the story is on these except that they are some sort of contract overrun. Anyway, it's all steel, and it too is a tack driver, it's going to get the same mods I did to my SP-01. Back to your question, trade a SP-01 for a Sig 226? Not only NO, but, Hell NO!

'
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Anyway, I have one and I do like it. But I may have been offered to trade for a 226, which is a couple hundred dollars more than the sp01.

I've only used a 226 one time and it was probably 5 years ago. I remember not being too impressed,...
    What would you guys do?
    If I wasn't impressed, I'd pass. The 'other guy' needs you to get an SP01.

What do you need? What do you want? The SP01 is a superb gun that can get superber over time. It is big, heavy, and meant to be C/L. You CAN learn to decock it safely, but most folks use the safety. It is reliable and very accurate. But heavy and not a carry piece.

Do you want DA/SA? It takes training. There are a number of choices but a 226/228 or HK are some of the best out there. (you may even like a Beretta). If you move you can buy anything, so why not buy a P226 cuz you really like it (ooops - maybe you don't). BUT, as a DA/SA, the SIG WILL HAVE a better trigger than most things OTB. My 2022 (similar gun) has a butter smooth DA, and a very good SA. Most SIGs do. They are better than a CZ in trigger on a stock gun. (I own some CZs abd started on them).

BUT, the SP01 is a beaut, and with some patience in detail stripping can be made to have a LIGHT and SMOOTH DA without getting crazy light springs. My PreB and Transitional are things of DA beauty. Unlike the decocker CZs they are easier to detail strip and polish. But, the Omegas have arrived. However, the CZ does NOT have the trigger of a SIG OTB.

But, I'm NOT so sure you want the SIG, and you can always get one later.
    Last edited by m4brian; 02-26-17 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Bodhi, I know you say you are in CA. This may already be obvious to you, but I'll mention it just in case.

Check if the 226 is not one of the CA neutered Sigs. You may or may not care, but I know a lot of the CA approved Sigs are decked out with all of the excessive "shark fin" LCIs, mag disconnects, and I don't know what else.

And neutered vs non neutered is sometimes a big price difference on the secondhand CA market.
    CA 226s do have a mag disconnect safety. Along with being on the "approved list", all CA pistols are required to have either a loaded chamber indicator (a peep-hole satisfies the rule, a la EMP), or a mag-disconnect safety so they don't fire without a mag in the well.

Goes without saying, but CA sucks.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast