Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buttstock preference?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's no realistic way that someone can recommend a buttstock because almost all of it comes down to personal preference. There are a few objective things obviously (like if the latch doesn't hold) but other than that it really comes down to just trying it and seeing what you like. I own every single stock mentioned in this thread (and more) and just keep a huge tub of them to use on various builds. So I have experience running most of them and here's what I've noticed ends up being important for me:

Weight - IMO this is the most underrated factor when choosing a stock. Some people like to keep their guns as light as possible and so prefer and really light stock. Other people prefer a heavy stock because it can make the carbine feel more "balanced". Most of the stocks with big cheek welds tend to be pretty heavy (The LWRC Compact being a big exception to this).

Length - There's a really big variety in the length of different stocks. Stocks like the SOPMOD are really long while other stocks like the CAR are extremely short (same length as a receiver extension). And then of course there's even shorter stocks like PDW types that require a different RE or bolt carrier. The length can also be important depending on how many positions you have in your receiver extension.

Height - The height of the stock at the back end can really change how a stock feels when you shoulder it. A lot of the modern shooting positions have you run the stock closer in to your chest and keep a more "heads up" stance which can require a stock with a taller toe (so that the bottom of the stock can catch on your collar bone).

Cheek weld - Kind of obvious but even amongst all the stocks with good cheek welds, they all have different degrees of slope and amount of weld, so it's good to try them out and see what's most comfortable for your face and stance.

Beard snagging - A lot of the stocks can have seams in them where battery compartments or different parts of the stock come together and can snag on your beard. The VLTOR stocks are notorious for this. Just something to be aware of if you have a beard.

Lockup - Some stocks can be really loose on receiver extensions which can be annoying to some people. Some stocks (e.g., Magpul CTR/STR) have additional tension mechanisms in them that help increase the lockup which can be nice.

Positional Support - If you ever shoot prone or this is going on a precision rig, pay attention to the design of the bottom of the stock and whether or not it has an affordance for using a bag or getting a good grip on it to use for subtle elevation adjustments.

I'm probably missing some things but those are at least the main criteria I look at when choosing one. You'll definitely "be fine" with either of the two options you listed, but it can definitely be worth it to try a few out and see what you like best.

Feedback Score
    Between those two, the B5. BCM also just started selling the "new" version of their stock with more of a cheek weld, and it's still very light.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like the B5 fits better maybe I'll try that but I started looking at the Vltor Imod as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have owned or used a few stocks, including:

- A2 rifle stock
    - Magpul CTR
    - VLTOR IMOD
    - B5 Bravo
    - BCM Gunfighter Mod 0

Hands down, my favorite stock is the IMOD. It's like a party for my face. I have used it when I had a longish beard and never had problems with snagging. I'd like to try a B5 SOPMOD, but I like the IMOD so much I've been hesitant to buy one...
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    Magpul STR for me.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrillar67 View Post
    Sounds like the B5 fits better maybe I'll try that but I started looking at the Vltor Imod as well.

As noted above, the Imod will pull facial hair. That aside I dig it
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Novak View Post
    I have owned or used a few stocks, including:

- A2 rifle stock
    - Magpul CTR
    - VLTOR IMOD
    - B5 Bravo
    - BCM Gunfighter Mod 0

Hands down, my favorite stock is the IMOD. It's like a party for my face. I have used it when I had a longish beard and never had problems with snagging. I'd like to try a B5 SOPMOD, but I like the IMOD so much I've been hesitant to buy one...
    The eMod is also certified anti-beard snagged. I haven't tried the iMod yet though.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    One last thought, regarding lock-up. I've never got the issue. My m4 stock is loose as hell and as soon as I shoulder it, it stops moving.

Are there stocks that move while shouldered or is it just an annoyance thing while handling the rifle?

Feedback Score

Buttstock preference?

Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    Any thoughts on the BCM stock?
    I have the original version. I love it. Light. Locks up solid.

Last edited by mballz23; 02-28-17 at 01:15.
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Psalm 140:4
    Profile pic by 556 Productions

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Magpul MOE SL is surprisingly awesome and no friction lock is needed.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast