Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankenstein's Rifle

Feedback Score

Frankenstein's Rifle

I have had this for a while now. It is one of my favorites. This is the breakdown of the current setup:
    1- Custom 20" barrel. I got this from a friend who is one of those President's 100 who shoots all the time. It is stainless steel with a 1 in 7 twist. Where the gas block goes it is .75". Inside the hand gaurds it is almost as big around as the barrel nut. I cannot use the heat shields. He said he had it made but couldn't use it because at the time it was threaded for a flash hider; this was during the Brady Bill.
    2- This is mated to a DPMS flat-top upper, with a Bushmaster bolt group.
    3- The lower is Double Star with a Jewel trigger and otherwise stock A2 furniture.
    4- For optics I am using a Simmons 3x9x40 and 45° offset A2 style sights.
    5- The other hardware include a Rogers Tri-rail so I can mount a mil spec vertical grip with bipod, surefire 3P, and a Condor 3 point sling. I have a A2 style birdcage flash hider on the front end. The gas block is a quad rail style.

It is a fun rifle but kind of heavy.
    Last edited by UTShooter71; 08-15-17 at 13:47. Reason: Attach photos

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    You left out the part on "how does it shoot"?
    Preferably at a little distance.

Feedback Score
    Got any pictures to post up of this rifle?
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    It should be illegal to post in the custom build forum without pictures.

Feedback Score
    I will post pictures this evening. I thought I had some recent ones but if I do, I can't find them. As far as shooting goes its great, almost no recoil due to tne heavy barrel. I have only shot (known distance) to 200 yards but I can ring a gong all day. The range limit is due to the range I go to. It is sensitive to dirty ammo and really likes to be lubed up; noticeably more so than my carbine.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'd find a range where you can shoot some distance.
    Rifle shooting doesn't really get interesting (challenging?) 'til you get past 300 yds. in my book.
    Try your gun at 4/5/600 with some 69/77 gr. " known quantity " ammo and see how it shoots.

Feedback Score
    Attachment 47083Attachment 47084Attachment 47085

Here are the photos. I took them today. I also agree with Gaigin; I need to shoot at distance with some quality ammo.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UTShooter71 View Post

Here are the photos. I took them today. I also agree with Gaigin; I need to shoot at distance with some quality ammo.
    I have an AR in my shop that a friend of mine has me doing some upgrades on that looks almost exactly like your rifle. Including the SS barrel, same furniture, A2 stock etc. etc. His is an old Bushmaster

So how did the build start? Your friend gave you a barrel, and you started pulling together parts?
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    It started after I got back from the Air Force Combat Arms School and realized that I could do it. I started piecemeal. I originally had the lower with standard parts and a 4 position collapsible stock but then I got the barrel. This was followed by the upper and the quad rail gas block. After I put it all together (and picked the bolt group) I went back to Utah. I met up with my friend who gave me the barrel. He asked if he could play with it for a week or so until he would come to Colorado. I didn't mind. When he showed up it had the Jewel trigger and the A2 buttstock. The scope was another gift; I know I could get better but it came from an old friend. The 45° sights are new. Until very recently I had iron flip up ones but these are fast, accurate (at 100 yards anyway). It was over a year to complete the initial build.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UTShooter71 View Post

nice looking rifle. Congrats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast