Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time 9mm AR builder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

First time 9mm AR builder

I'm coming down the line on finishing my first 9mm build. Here is the parts thus far:

Faxon 16" barrel
    Milspec Ar upper receiver
    PSA Glock mag lower
    NFA Modular BCG
    308 carbine spring (have 556 spring if needed)
    NFA 9mm buffer (have 556 buffer if needed)
    Ace entry stock with 2" extension
    No name face hider

Still deciding on sights/optics and a handguard.

So far with piecing these items together I have noticed that the bolt travel is approx 1/2in past the bolt stop (non functioning) which in turn is closer to a full inch past the back of the 9mm cartridge when a mag is seated. I'm wanting some opinions on how I should remedy the situation? Do I limit the bolt travel with spacers? (Quarters) or doni let the bolt travel this far? Is there a sweet spot?

Any other tips/tricks I should know about before pulling the trigger for the first time?

PS this gun is going to be a strictly fun gun for shooting around the range ( good buddy has a short range steel range set up for pistols). And may spend some time locked under the back seat of the jeep if it proves reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    If you have the 8 oz NFA buffer you wont need the spacer ... That's my set up and it has never had a malfunction ... Smooth !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montesf1030 View Post
    If you have the 8 oz NFA buffer you wont need the spacer ... That's my set up and it has never had a malfunction ... Smooth !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What's your exact buffer set up? (Receiver extension, buffer , spring etc)I believe your lower is the same as my PSA with just different branding. How far does your bolt travel past your catch? And I'm assuming the LRBHO doesn't work on your setup?

Thankyou

Feedback Score
    Yes it doesn't ... I have the 8oz NFA 9mm heavy buffer plus the heavy spring ... The lower is a NFA ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ISiman/oh View Post
    I'm coming down the line on finishing my first 9mm build. Here is the parts thus far:

Faxon 16" barrel
    Milspec Ar upper receiver
    PSA Glock mag lower
    NFA Modular BCG
    308 carbine spring (have 556 spring if needed)
    NFA 9mm buffer (have 556 buffer if needed)
    Ace entry stock with 2" extension
    No name face hider

Still deciding on sights/optics and a handguard.

So far with piecing these items together I have noticed that the bolt travel is approx 1/2in past the bolt stop (non functioning) which in turn is closer to a full inch past the back of the 9mm cartridge when a mag is seated. I'm wanting some opinions on how I should remedy the situation? Do I limit the bolt travel with spacers? (Quarters) or doni let the bolt travel this far? Is there a sweet spot?

Any other tips/tricks I should know about before pulling the trigger for the first time?

PS this gun is going to be a strictly fun gun for shooting around the range ( good buddy has a short range steel range set up for pistols). And may spend some time locked under the back seat of the jeep if it proves reliable.

Nice.

Please send photos when it is completed!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I built one with the KAK extended buffer, and it also works well, not requiring an additional spacer. I have also heard of people using an A5 buffer in a standard RE to get the additional length to not require a spacer. I will be giving that a try later this week.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I built one with the KAK extended buffer, and it also works well, not requiring an additional spacer. I have also heard of people using an A5 buffer in a standard RE to get the additional length to not require a spacer. I will be giving that a try later this week.
    As soon as I can get a handguard in I'll be doing some testing. Probably put a few hundred rounds through the first day and test some hollow points.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well I could not help myself today, I had enough parts sitting around to make a functioning rifle. I'm still awaiting the Handgaurd (11" Troy alpha I purchased used on the forum) and a few odds and ends.

I decided to just function test today as I don't have sights to get on paper yet. But I'm proud to say it has functioned without a hiccup thus far through 60 rounds of Winchester whitebox 115gr and 15 rounds of HST 147gr (I needed to rotate out the mag I have been carrying in my g19 for the past few months.

The recoil is defiantly different then I'm used to but I actually like it. Reminds me almost of a semi auto 20ga shotgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Got it all put together today and put another 100 rounds of winchester whitebox through without a hiccup. I'm hoping the extremely simple blow back operation and relatively loose tolerances lend to a very reliable weapon for years to come. Though I have done no bench testing yet, just sighting in the irons show about 2" group off hand at 25 yards which is well within my expectations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast