Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 - Considerations in Reducing Recoil Spring Tension for Easier Slide Rack?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    If the slide is the issue... consider one of the tip up barrel beretta models. 21A, 3032, something in 380 I can't recall the model number of...

ETA: found it... model 86.
    Last edited by jandbj; 02-26-17 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    Slide rackers are hard to conceal and won't help in a defensive encounter if there is a malfunction, from let's say limp wristing a Glock.

If we are speaking about the range than a slide rackers would be appropriate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredberry View Post
    Thanks Molon Aabe for the kind words. As for the slide racker, which one(s) get the best reviews/comments? Can't find any youtube videos on the Vickers so far but that looks best to me.
    Really any will do. If Vickers is making one chances are it's a quality product.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by st381183 View Post
    Slide rackers are hard to conceal and won't help in a defensive encounter if there is a malfunction, from let's say limp wristing a Glock.

If we are speaking about the range than a slide rackers would be appropriate.
    They present no bigger problem in concealing a firearm than a beavertail, RMR or suppressor sights would present. You are absolutely correct in the various slide rackers offering no assistance in preventing limp wristing. (just as they offer no assistance in reducing muzzle climb, or getting a tighter group at 50 yards, but that is not the issue at hand).

However if a malfunction does occur and the slide must be racked to clear it, and if the user in question has issues racking the slide than the slide racker will assist in that.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    I often suggest a Ruger LCR-22 in a case like this. With limited strength and age a .22 that can be shot well far outweighs something that cannot be controlled. A good hot .22 round like CCI stingers would be perfect. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...eets/5410.html
    If rimfire ammunition was as reliable as centerfire ammunition is I would agree with you. There is a reason that for serious use situations rimfires are not used. The projectiles are certainly effective, the ignition of the cartridge is not.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MOLON AABE View Post
    They present no bigger problem in concealing a firearm than a beavertail, RMR or suppressor sights would present. You are absolutely correct in the various slide rackers offering no assistance in preventing limp wristing. (just as they offer no assistance in reducing muzzle climb, or getting a tighter group at 50 yards, but that is not the issue at hand).

However if a malfunction does occur and the slide must be racked to clear it, and if the user in question has issues racking the slide than the slide racker will assist in that.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi
    I get a slide racker does not help prevent limp wristing and muzzle climb etc...I'm not stupid. What they don't do is offer an elderly shooter any advantage in quickly manipulating a slide that is already too difficult for them to manage.

A slide racker is fine on the range but not on a carry pistol as it usually requires putting the weapon in an unusual position to effectively use. And a slide racker adds length, weight, and complexity. Do you have to stick an arthritic finger through a loop to use? Is it a small handle that sticks out to the side that you have little purchase to grab onto? Will it bind up on items in a purse when drawn quickly?

The best advice to give this gentleman is to get her a revolver in a manageable caliber for his wife. Lower risk of malfunction, point and click use, easy to reload, requiring little hand strength to do so.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Howdy,

Tell her to man up and get a Beretta 93R.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

They do not protrude that much, they will assist in making a slide easier to rack. And aside from the extremely rare occasion of a malfunction a slide need not be racked that often in a firearm Designated as a self defense firearm. I would second the notion of avoiding a lightened spring on a firearm intended for serious use. Leave the revolvers to target practice and cowboy action shooting. They are slow to reload, when they malfunction they go down hard, have stiff hard to use triggers, stiff hard to cocktail hammers, and a sharp increase in recoil over a 9mm or .380 semi automatic.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    As far as some 70+ year old women are concerned, my wife is far from 'elderly'. Aside from the broken wrist and the reduction in hand strength that comes with aging, she is quite fit. In fact, she is an active 6th degree blackbelt in Taekwondo and was inducted as a Master 2 years ago at the age of 70. And, yes, she can kick my butt!

We have hardly done any shooting in the last few years and feel a need to get back to it. Here is what I have gleaned from this thread. First, it would be wise to have a revolver that she can shoot (caliber TBD). Second, we will get a slide racker for her Glock 19 for range and home defense (the only downside I see is conceal carry but please let me know if I'm missing something). The smallest caliber we are willing to go is .380 for conceal carry and, therefore, semiautos like the P238 (as well as revolvers) in the future will work for her.

At our age things change but I am confident that should she reach a point where she can no longer operate a firearm she can still kick them in the teeth or lower!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOLON AABE View Post
    If rimfire ammunition was as reliable as centerfire ammunition is I would agree with you. There is a reason that for serious use situations rimfires are not used. The projectiles are certainly effective, the ignition of the cartridge is not.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi
    Agree wholeheartedly! But this is where the advantage of a wheelgun comes in, round and round she goes... Honestly though quality rimfire ammo is pretty reliable these days. My mother is in the same boat with several hand surgeries and age creeping up there, right now it's a SP101 with .38's. But with the light weight, light double action trigger and equally light recoil on the .22 LCR's that may be her new home defense weapon.

To the OP, might consider a Ruger LC380. Supposed to be a pretty easy to manage .380, easier to rack as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast