Thread: Endurance training and libido in men (study)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Endurance training and libido in men (study)

Yet another reason not to overdo the endurance training boys. Kills T, muscle mass, and libido. I have worked with young healthy men with low T that was "cured" by reducing excessive endurance training, changing/improving their nutrition, the addition of some supps, and therapy (if indicated) and stress reduction work, such as meditation, bio feedback, yoga, etc. Those factors should be examined when a seemingly young healthy man presents with low T. One man in particular had a truly amazing response to those changes and I plan to write up his case study at some point. Obviously I'm not against TRT/HRT at all, but I do feel non medical interventions should be considered first if possible and applicable to the person.

Endurance Exercise Training and Male Sexual Libido.
    Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017 Feb 13.

Abstract
    PURPOSE:

To study the associations between aspects of endurance exercise training and the sexual libido in healthy men using a cross-sectional online survey study design.

METHODS:

A developed online survey questionnaire was utilized. The questionnaire was based upon pre-existing validated questionnaires and use to assess elements of physical characteristics, exercise training-habits and libido of participants (n=1077). Three evidence-based categories were created for the primary outcome of total libido score and low, normal, and high response categories set. The high and normal categories were combined to form a high/normal score group and the low category formed a low score group. Odds ratios (OR) were calculated to examine group categorization.

RESULTS:

Age, training intensity, and training duration of participants had significant (p<0.02) univariate relationships, with libido scores and were thus included in the multivariate model. In the multivariate model, training intensity (p<0.0001) and duration (p<0.002) components were the most significantly associated with libido group designation (high/normal vs. low). Participants with the lowest (OR: 6.9; 95% CI: 2.6-17.9) and mid-range training intensities (OR: 2.8; 95% CI: 1.4-5.3) had greater odds of high/normal libido state than those with the highest training intensity. Participants with the shorter (OR: 4.1; 95% CI: 1.6-10.0) and mid-range training durations (OR: 2.5; 95% CI: 1.3-4.8) at their current intensity also had greater odds of high/normal libido score than those with a greatest duration.

CONCLUSION:

Exposure to higher levels of chronic intense and greater durations of endurance training on a regular basis are significantly associated with a decreased libido scores in men. Clinicians who treat male patients for sexual disorders and, or council couples on infertility issues should consider the degree of endurance exercise training a man is performing as a potential complicating factor.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28195945
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I guess in a way this smartass I used to work with was correct in saying, "Running breeds cowardliness. If you can run, you will run."

On a serious note. Will want are you considering "excessive endurance training"?
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 02-27-17 at 10:44. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Interesting, but its a online questionnaire based study with no definitions as to health and age of the participants or what the training detailed.

A 300lb 55 year old who walks for an hour every other day will probably have much less libido than a 21 year old marathon runner. The not too big secret is who's really looking to f*** the fat dude?

Not enough information to be useful.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That's kind of the direct opposite of my experience.
    While in the Military, directly after PT if I had five spare minutes between the shower and BDU's I was wearing that poor girl out.

Feedback Score
    Curious study, definitely food for thought !

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    I guess in a way this smartass I used to work with was correct in saying, "Running breeds cowardliness. If you can run, you will run."

On a serious note. Will want are you considering "excessive endurance training"?
    Is somewhat unique to the person and depends on a number of variables: age, fitness levels, nutrition, sleep, other activities, etc. See response below.

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Interesting, but its a online questionnaire based study with no definitions as to health and age of the participants or what the training detailed.

A 300lb 55 year old who walks for an hour every other day will probably have much less libido than a 21 year old marathon runner. The not too big secret is who's really looking to f*** the fat dude?

Not enough information to be useful.
    Alone, true, but in the larger picture, it's very much in line with the bulk of the data. Endurance athletes for example tend to have elevated cortisol, suppressed T, suppressed immunity and full of injuries. So, it does not surprise me at all the above found a direct correlation between those who did the most endurance work and poor libido. The top US distance runner retired at a young age due to trashing his body:

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fi...-tale-20160122
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”